Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstalling XP/Pro Retail from XP/Pro Academic Version

by tom041652 / April 10, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

For the past couple of months, I have been using my sons Academic Version of XP/PRO. Before I actually shelled out $200+ for the Retail version, I wanted to make sure XP/Pro worked with all my Hardware. So now I know, it works great and really like the OS.

I have backed up my C: Drive using Ghost to my external Maxtor 80GB HD and am ready to install the Retail Verison I purchased. My question is two fold:

1. Can I just upgrade/repair the present OS on my C: Drive with the Retail Version or will I have to reformt my HD and install?

2. If I have to reformat to install the Retail version, can I use the ghost 9.0 backup image to install my apps (lots of them, about 50-70) and will they install the proper registry entries?

This is only a temp soulution as I am collecting the parts to build a Althon 64bit system (a part a month) and in about 8 months will have everything I need. Then I guess LongHorn is the way I'll go for an OS.

PS. Yes, I know I should'nt be using my sons OS, but to shell out $200+ is a big thing for me. I'm on total and permanent disability and a fixed income. So far I have a 380W PS, Case, Excellent Fan and Graphics Card for my new system. I'll be going from a 15" Flat Screen to a 19" Flat Screen and this alone is going to set me back about 400-500 bucks for a decent monitor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalling XP/Pro Retail from XP/Pro Academic Version
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalling XP/Pro Retail from XP/Pro Academic Version
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only temporary
by AussiePete / April 11, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

I would (in your case) just upgrade - Your XP pro should recognise your academic version and upgrade for you - however if you have an OEM version you maybe out of luck. You can only give it a try.
However, the best way is always a clean install - read these two articles:-;en-us;313348

Also read up about XP's "files and settings transfer wizard" in the accessories/systems tools folder.
As for your 70 odd programs you maybe out of luck there. Minor programs can be transfered with programs like Norton Backup but larger ones like MS word are just to complex. Also, manually making changes to your registry in 99% of cases is just too complex and causes errors in your system.
Hope this helps,

Collapse -
License change
by Yew / April 11, 2005 4:21 AM PDT

There is a way to simply change the license code used for your copy of XP, which will require little more than a reactivation (if all goes well). Somewhere in the rat's nest that is Microsoft's website, you should be able to find instructions on how to do this. Assuming you can keep your sanity long enough.

If all DOESN'T go well, then you've got problems and are looking at a complete reinstall. That being said, Ghost is NOT a backup tool. Never was, never will be. It's a disk imaging tool for rolling out a uniform configuration on multiple computers. I don't care what Symantec says, it's NOT a backup tool. If you tried to use it, you'd end up using the illegal academic version again, not the legal retail version.

There is no easy way to back up installed programs. Better to just reinstall them later. At least with Windows. If you were using a Mac or Linux box, then we could talk about a few options available to you. With Windows, you're just flat out screwed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?