Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP

Hi: I have an interesting question for everyone. Should I ever use one of the utility programs to wipe my hard drive completely, how do I reinstall Windows XP since the CD driver has been erased? How can you reinstall an operating system that is on CD when you have no driver for the CD player? The reason I am asking these questions is that I might want to give my computer to friend and I want my stuff off of the hard drive and my friend to be able to use the computer. Please advise. Thanks in advance. Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BIOS

In reply to: REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP

The computer's BIOS allows you to set the boot order. That is, the order of where it looks for a bootable disk. Setting the CD ROM drive before the hard disk forces booting from the O/S disk when placed in the CD ROM drive and the computer is restarted.

Collapse -
wiping and CD drivers

Yes, you should always use a disk wiping utility when giving away a HD (or a computer with a HD).

The motherboard BIOS program has enough ability to scan potential boot drives (hard drives, floppies, CD drives, etc.) to see if there is a bootable disk in a drive. When the BIOS finds the Windows XP installation CD, boot control jumps to the Windows installation CD, which in turn, installs enough ''generic'' drivers to complete the installation.

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP

In reply to: wiping and CD drivers

Hi: I appreciate your prompt reply. I printed out your message and filed it for future use. Thanks again. Jim

Collapse -
Ohh, one other thing

In reply to: WINDOWS XP

When you do all that, and pass the computer to your friend, make sure he has the original XP CD with it.

He will thank you even more if he ever needs the disk for XP repair, or a full re-install, Happy

A copy won't do.

Mark

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP

In reply to: Ohh, one other thing

Hi: Thanks again for your input. Good idea! Jim

Collapse -
New installation option

First off, the drivers are not installed for your cd drive. I would recommend that you look at the manufacturer and model number of your cd drive,and go to the manufacturers website to download the drivers and updates for your model. In my experience i would stay away from the utilty programs to wipe your disk. I made one little mistake and rendered my hard drive unuseable. Put your xp cd in the cd drive, then reboot. Go into bios and make sure your boot order is set to boot from cd first. Save your bios settings and reboot. After you entered in your user key for your xp disk there will be two options. One is upgrade and the other is new installation. Of course you will choose new installation, and by doing this you will be doing a "clean install" of xp on your hard drive. Which means everything you had on your drive will be erased. After choosing the new installation option follow the instructions and make sure that you press F to format the hard drive when it asks. Once the installation is complete the computer will basically be how it was when you first purchased it. Also your driver for your cd drive should have re-installed with windows. Good Luck

Collapse -
REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP

In reply to: New installation option

Hi: I want to thank you for your input. I have already printed out your message and filed it for use in the future. Thanks again. Jim

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.