Windows Vista forum

General discussion

reinstalling vista

How do I reformat my hard drive and reinstall vista?? I inserted the dvd thinking it would wipe my hard drive clean, but after reinstalling, all of my old stuff is still on the drive. I googled, and thought that everything I read said Vista would automatically wipe it clean, but guess not........

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reinstalling vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reinstalling vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reinstallation of Windows Vista.

In reply to: reinstalling vista

You have a couple of options when reinstalling Windows Vista, and in your situation you did one of two things. You either inserted the DVD while the computer was on, and performed an "In-place upgrade". Or, you booted from the DVD, and performed a "Clean install" to the same hard drive without first formating it.

If your desktop is exactly the same as it was before you did the reinstall you performed an in-place upgrade. Should you have a C:\Windows.old directory you performed a clean install without format. However, it's a simple process to remedy.

You can do a quick search for 'WindowsReinsatll', and you'll find several walkthroughs some even with pictures. But, what you'll need to do is boot from your DVD, and then perform the reinstallation. If you can't find a walkthrough, or have any questions please feel free to ask. However, keep in mind the information is "as-is", and a reinstallation will result in data loss so you'll want to backup any irreplaceable data before proceeding.

SoulRaven

Collapse -
thank you

In reply to: Reinstallation of Windows Vista.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720....I contacted Dell, and apparently I need to use the Media Direct cd to reformat, which they did NOT send me! Sad This is a major pain!

Collapse -
here is a good link for reinstalling vista.

In reply to: thank you

Collapse -
Still doesn't reformat

In reply to: here is a good link for reinstalling vista.

I was able to reinstall Vista,(did it just like the directions in the link that was posted) but it didn't reformat my hard drive. All of my old stuff is still on the drive. Total size of C is 220 GB, after reinstalling Vista, I now only have 36 GB left. I want to be able to wipe the drive clean, and can't figure out how to do this.

Thank you

Collapse -
At steps 9, 10, 11

In reply to: Still doesn't reformat

You did delete the old partitions, make new ones and let Vista format it?

Collapse -
My mistake!

In reply to: Still doesn't reformat

I missed the advance tab! Clicked on it, and found the format button. Sorry!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!