Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstalling Power Point....

by where did she go? / November 23, 2005 11:36 AM PST

Hello,
I really need some help reinstalling power point on my parents computer. I'll try not to be too vague. Basically, my parents have a pc, running on windows xp small business edition version 2002. Last time I was on this computer, power point was here. Now it isn't.
My question is, can I just reinstall windows xp sbe?
Please help, cause i dont know what to do!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalling Power Point....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalling Power Point....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reinstalling Power Point
by eddie11013 / November 23, 2005 12:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes, but that's not the solution...
by John.Wilkinson / November 23, 2005 12:54 PM PST

Although you can reinstall Windows XP Small Business Edition, that won't solve your problem because Windows and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) are two seperate products. The first thing I'd do is verify that the program, not just a shortcut, has been deleted. Go start->control panel->add/remove programs and verify Microsoft Office is no longer listed. You can then/also go "local drive:\program files\microsoft office\OFFICE11" and look for powerpnt.exe, or simply POWERPNT, and/or go start->search and look for powerpnt.exe. If the program is found, you can right-click on it, select copy, then right-click on the desktop and paste a shortcut so that it's easy to launch Powerpoint when you need it. If the program is not found, you'll need to repair/reinstall Microsoft Office from the Office CD.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
There is no such thing
by El Alquimista / November 23, 2005 1:18 PM PST

as Windows XP Small Business Edition. There is Windows XP Home Edition, Professional Edition, and Media Edition. And then there is Microsoft Office, which comes in several editions, including the Small Business Edition. These are two different beasts.

Now, If you want to reinstall Power Point, you do not need to bother with Windows XP. Install the Office SBE disk into the drive. If the system is set for Autoplay, the install wizard will come up. If Autoplay is not active, browse the CD for setup.exe and double click it.

When the Setup dialog box appears, select Add or Remove Features and then click on Next. From there just foillow the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice catch...I can't believe I overlooked that!
by John.Wilkinson / November 24, 2005 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: There is no such thing
Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!!
by where did she go? / November 24, 2005 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: There is no such thing

It turns out that the program was uninstalled. I did exactly what you said and it worked!!
Thank you all so much for your time and help!!

take care,
karyn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Happy I was of assistance
by El Alquimista / November 24, 2005 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: THANK YOU!!!!!
Collapse -
One more question.....
by where did she go? / November 25, 2005 2:04 AM PST

I guess I got a little too excited and I thought I was done. But now when I open powerpoint, I am asked to enter the product key, I do so, and than another window pops up saying product compliance check (setup failed to locate a valid qualifying product on your machine. please select the drive where a qualifying product can be found). I tried every drive on my computer and I always get Error 1608 (setup was unable to locate a qualifyinh product).
Do you have any ideas as to what I should do now??
Any help would much be appreciated!

Thanks,
Karyn

Collapse -
Until then the 2 other solutions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: One more question.....

1. The powerpoint viewer from microsoft.
2. Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org

The problem I see you writing about is that your Office is an UPGRADE CD and you need to find your old Office CD to let it finish.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks...
by where did she go? / November 25, 2005 2:33 AM PST

The upgrade cd is microsoft office standard and my old cd is office small business edition which doesnt have power point on it. Any ideas as to where I go from here?

Collapse -
Ouch. That means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: thanks...

The old CD does not qualify if you fed it to the the machine as proof.

Until you sort out the licensing with Microsoft or find a qualifying product, you have 2 solutions.

Bob

Collapse -
Why are you using a different disk?
by El Alquimista / November 25, 2005 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: thanks...

Obviously you cannot reinstall PowerPoint from a disk that does not contain it -- the SBE disk.

You should be using the Office 2002 Standard Edition disk from which it was originally installed, which is what I assumed. Surely you still have it. You should then have no problem.

If you have lost that disk, and really need PowerPoint, I see no alternative but to get a free-standing copy of PowerPoint for about $90 - $100.

The alternative Bob suggested, OpenOffice, has an equivalent program called Impress -- and this is free. Impress will open PowerPoint files, but there may sometimes be slight differences in display of the graphics. I do not know how well PowerPoint handles Impress files if you need to go in that direction, but Bob probably can tell you.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
It's finally working
by where did she go? / November 25, 2005 2:14 PM PST

The problem that I ran into was that originally office small business edition was installed on this computer, which doesnt contain powerpoint. And than my parents installed office standard upgrade, which did have powerpoint. And being the impatient person I am, I idiotically sped through the installation process when reinstalling powerpoint from the standard upgrade, and I didnt enter the product key at that time. According to Microsoft's help center on their website the installation would have been complete if I had done so.

But since I didn't, when I opened powerpoint and was asked to enter the product key, did so, I would get an error saying that I needed to locate a qualifying product on my computer (which should be what was originaly installed- office sbe). But since the sbe didnt have powerpoint, the installation would fail.

To make a very long story short, I ended up uninstalling office small business edition and office standard edition upgrade then reinstalling both. This time remembering to enter the product key. It worked and I am one happy girl!

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this!!

take care,
karyn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!