Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstalled XP on a dual boot machine with XP and Vista.....

My computer has two physical drives with dual boot, Primary Physical drive having XP prof and Secondary physical drive having two partitions, one has Windows Vista Basic and the other partition for back up files and data. Everything was fine till I went for a reinstall of XP prof on the primary physical drive. After the XP prof reinstall I was not able to access the secondary physical drive, when I go in from the windows explorer, I can see the drive which used to have windows Vista partiton and I get a warning message that the drive needs to be formatted. Though this ok for me, the one which is worrying me is the other partition on the secondary drive which I was not able to access, this has got all the data. When I go through the Computer management console, I could see both the partitions, for the windows vista shows up as healthy, the other partition with my data shows up as unallocated. Could some one help me out on how to retrieve this data from the secondary hard drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalled XP on a dual boot machine with XP and Vista.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalled XP on a dual boot machine with XP and Vista.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the demos...

In reply to: Reinstalled XP on a dual boot machine with XP and Vista.....

GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY

Much cheaper than recovery clinics.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually the whole problem is that ...

you already had XP and Vista installed and dual booting and you went and re-installed XP. This essentially "kills" access to Vista but the problem is easy to solve.

Here is a link for correcting the problem using the EasyBCD utility to reconfigure the boot loader so everything is accessible again. The pages load rather slowly but this is the best tutorial I have seen for correcting the problem you have made for yourself with the re-installation. Since you have already got XP re-installed you could start on page 4 of the tutorial (a link to download EasyBCD is also on the page) -
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4

After repairing the "corrupt" boot sector you will again have full access.

Collapse -
XP Reinstall not recognizing the additional ahrd drive

In reply to: Actually the whole problem is that ...

Thank you very much for sharing the info! Sorry for the delay in replying as I was on a short trip. I tried the option you had suggested, but even then when I try to boot up with the Windows Vista DVD, it doesn't give me an option for repair option, it says that I need to make a fresh install and the other partition not being formatted, it suggest that I format the drive to reinstall Vista. I am thinking that the last option for me is to reinstall Vista on the original Vista partition of my secondary drive and try to see if I could recover the data which is on a different partition on the secondary drive. Again thank you very much for sharing the info

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.