Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

reinstalled xp. Cannot connect wirelessly

by shashgo / October 14, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

I reinstalled XP and I realize this got rid of my drivers. Now I want to reconnect to the wireless network at home but the error I get is 'Limited or no connectivity.....'
What causes this error and how do I fix it? I dont know if my computer has an internal wireless card or not so I am using an external wireless adapter (Belkin) and I downloaded their driver from the belkin website. Now when the computer boots up, it says wireless networks detected. I select the network, put in the key and then I get another bubble that says 'Acquiring IP address' followed by another bubble after a minute or so 'Limited or no connectivity' But I cannot browse the web. Strangely enough, the wireless status shows excellent connection.

My computer has SP3.

Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reinstalled xp. Cannot connect wirelessly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reinstalled xp. Cannot connect wirelessly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a little more detail please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 4:09 AM PDT

For example your everyday Intel Chipset driver writes this "he Intel

Collapse -
Am I missing that driver then
by shashgo / October 14, 2009 4:21 AM PDT

So do I need to download the chipset driver from I have an hp` pavilionn a712n desktop.

My sounds works fine so I didnt know if the chipset driver always has to be installed, but Ill do it. You think that will make the wireless connect better?

Collapse -
You now have the info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

I can't answer if this will fix that but its a basic item I find missing too often.

After that is done and it still fails then you look for items like expired Norton software while kills internet connections (no Symantec answer to why?!) And then you move onto wifi router settings such as broadcast the SSID please and WPA please.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?