Question

Reinstalled winXP doesn't recognize correct memory

I had to reinstall my Windows XO Pro to my Dell XPS 5 desktop. Everything s working at this point but I see 2 probleims:
1:
8GB Memmory instaled in my desktop but MyComputer/Property shows only 3.25 GB. Bios showes 8GB (4GB was previously upgraded and worked fine before the Windows reinstall)
2:
Devise Manager shows a yellow question mark at Other Devise/SM Bus Controller

When I go to properties here I see location: PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3

Status: The drivers for this devise are not installed (code 2Cool

Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_01A01028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FB

If I delete this device the Wizard finds it and looks for the driver but the driver is not found on the original Dell Driver CD.

What is this hardware? Where is it?

Please help!

Thanks; Zsuzsa

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Reinstalled winXP doesn't recognize correct memory
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Reinstalled winXP doesn't recognize correct memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Seems normal

Seems normal. Windows XP is a 32-bit OS, so it's limited to 4GB of RAM. You'll need to move to Vista or Windows 7 x64 in order to make use of that extra 4GB of RAM.

As for the second problem, if the driver isn't on the Dell driver CD, that means that it is something you added, so that should help narrow down the possibilities. Of course make sure you aren't just having Windows scan the Dell driver CD, because the drivers are stored in a self-extracting archive, which you have to run before the driver files are extracted and able to be used.

- Collapse -
Thanks for you reply

I have a 32 bit window xp pro. I upgraded the original 4GB years ago to 8 GB ( 4x2GB ) and was shown in MY Computer also and worked well.It supported it. Last week I had to reinstall the windows from the restore CD and the upgrade memory does not show up in My Computer only in BIOS. I wonder if that is okay? The computer still workes with the 8GB?
How I check that? The Task manager sais 3405908 Physical memory total.

For the second problem I didn't add anything but I remember when I reinstalled the Wondos from the restore CD and formate the drive it did not ask me for the drivers CD. Later I installed it anyway because the net work driver was missing also but I don't find any driver for this hardware.

- Collapse -
Windows XP 32 bit

Your physical memory read 3405908 as shown is maxout for 32bit Windows XP as stated by Jimmy Greystone. To acheive approximately FULL use of 8gb you'll have to install a 64bit OS. The other items could well be propriatary driver issues,Dell specific.

CNET Forums