Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Reinstalled All-in-One From Disk,

by lesliebuc / October 4, 2012 9:35 AM PDT

Great News, I now have HP Director again, after maybe a year and a half! Findable but no Icon. That's not the main problem. I clicked "Restore to Factory Settings", so to try the new ones do I have to reinstall the whole thing again to come to that option? And I still have a problem with an Ofc Max HP28 color cartridge. Was it maybe on shelf too long, or.....what? Might newer settings fix that problem if I knew how to do it? TIA.

lesliebuc has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalled All-in-One From Disk,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalled All-in-One From Disk,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by lesliebuc

Collapse -
I agree but another issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

1. Yes, the cartridges do have dates on the chip so an old cart, can be too old and refuse to work. Some sellers will exchange a full unopened cart for a new one when it's out of date. You can try the old trick of setting the date back a year on your PC.

2. Installing those drivers and apps from the old Disk may result in troubles. If so, head to hp.com, find your printer and see if HP updated the apps and drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
I Should Have Known There'd Be An Expiration Date, Thanks
by lesliebuc / October 5, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

I THINK this answers my question, hallelujah, and I've already clicked that., will start another question if it's not completely solved and if I'm stuck.

Re 2007 Disk, I think they update the installations from Disks, and so does a Music forum. Oh, the second part of my question was, Can't find My Profile, Change Settings, even by a search at HP forums, already clicked "Restore Factory Settings" when installing. So do I have to do the whole reinstall again, to get the new Settings? HP Update always says some form of "Can't do anything for you at the moment, Please try again later." Even if I'm already online so they don't have to do that step. I'm afraid of losing HP Dir and all that if I uninstall now. Guess Trying another new cartridge may answer my second question, right? Thanks to Bob again.

Collapse -
HP only keeps their updater running for so many years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

I can't speak for HP but I rarely use their software "help." If a printer is from 2007 and if it's a consumer model you are well past the usual 2 year lifespan. If it prints, I'd forget any updates.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Again, Bob, a/k/a R. Profitt
by lesliebuc / October 13, 2012 10:51 PM PDT

I"m assuming you're both the same person.

The printer is actually a 2004, and I bought a new disk which is from 2007, may need another new one, if they've been updated again. At least you explained by HP Update or HP Software Update always says can't "at this time", and "Please try again later."

Is there another way to send pictures, maybe to Facebook, if your Scanner and Copier don't work? Paint is still in my computer somewhere, but disappears from desktop screen so I never can find and use it. Also, using Disk Cleanup and Defrag never changes the report that I have 75% of memory still unused. If I try to download Photosmart to replacy erratic Paint, which would probably still send pictures, but don't know if I could add any, it always says not enough memory, for Photosmart. What's another graphics program that might work? Is there one that scans, despite whatever's wrong? Probably things are just wearing out but I've so loved my 1310 and 1315xi, hate the thought of getting used to any new kind. Maybe Envy, if I have to get a new one. Only uses two cartridges, HP 60, sometimes goes on sale, at Staples especially, for a bit less than the usual $250. Any new suggestions? TIA.

Collapse -
Sorry to write this but HP has lost me forever.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 2:43 AM PDT

They did not honor warranty on a 3 month old laptop. So with that, HP is a dead company. I see no reason to buy their products since they failed so badly. I have the longer story out already so the short story is I'll share the story when ever someone asks me about HP products.

Try one of those Canon Pixma's.
Bob

Collapse -
So Sorry to Hear That
by lesliebuc / October 14, 2012 8:18 PM PDT

Maybe it was THE STORE and not really HP?

I once had this happen and told the woman I'll have to see about Small Claims Court, so she immediately gave me the refund, but I still don't buy anything else from that particular store. Try my solution and let us know how if it works for you? You've always been so unselfishly helpful here. Will be waiting to hear. (If you still have trouble with that store management, how about suggesting, "And I should get reimbursed for gas for having to come back after having thought about this." Or something like that. Ha ha. I know it's silly but just don't want you to give up. Did they claim you'd altered or misused it or something? Where this happened to me, the woman manager was just saying "Once something has been opened" we can't take it back and give a refund. Oh yeah?

Collapse -
I wish that was true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: So Sorry to Hear That

It was HP's own repair center and more. A nice HP social rep did notice me posting my story and asked about it. They were unable to help as after 9 months and no working laptop I had moved on but when it comes to HP, my answer is no more sales for you.

I can only imagine the typical buyer if they had a dead laptop at 3 months and 14 hours on the phone, shipping, waiting and still dead what they would do. For me it's HP loss as they didn't replace it so what to do but to share?
Bob

Collapse -
Small Claims Court
by lesliebuc / October 16, 2012 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I wish that was true.

You're saying a statute of limitations, time limit, expired? If not, I still say mentioning Small Claims Court just might work. There's online legal advice for just about anything and everything. Why not try a search for some, before deciding if you should see a local attorney about your city's possibilities? Because you'll probably be unhappy, even bitter, about the experience if you don't at least look into your options. You do have some proofs printed out as to when your laptop failed? PROBABLY the time limit to file suit is 2 yrs, and applies also to the store that sold it to you, not just HP. Good luck.

No, my question isn't resolved. I just gave up on it, asked Wiki about .NET framework 2.0, which I noticed when reinstalling my printer again and again is included, have not yet read all the search results, but there's something about sometimes it doesn't really install. I may try reinstalling just .NET framework 2.0 and then the All-in-One again. A son has a degree from U. of Michigan, computer, but works so far away and is out of town so much, I probably can't get any help from him. When we finish the discussion about your laptop, I'll probably remove this whole subject from my Tracked list and start over with some other approach.

You're right that being able to even print is surprising and I do appreciate having that much. I don't think my 8GB flash drive is working. Maybe all my USB ports are worn out.

Keep us posted about whether you can get a replacement laptop, please. Good luck.

Collapse -
Never got a replacement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2012 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Small Claims Court

If HP can't fix/replace a bum laptop my advice is to be very afraid of this company's products. Something went horribly wrong and I'm not the only one this happened to.

There's more besides this such as what started the entire process and story.

-> It has to do with how HP makes laptops today. They "buy" this and that and if the bug is in something they buy then they can never correct it.

In my case it was a BIOS bug that caused the laptop to not boot when your smart phone was plugged in. No setting in the BIOS could fix it and as an embedded designer I knew it was just a matter of reporting it to the maker so they can fix it.

Instead I learned that HP can not correct such flaws and worse may destroy your devices in their service centers.

-> The really interesting part I haven't written here about HP's reps telling me that "no many folk have Smart Phones" so it's not a big problem.

Hope this helps others avoid the issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?