General discussion

Reinstallation of Windows XP on new PC

I have recently bought a new PC which came with Windows XP Home installed. My old PC had XP Pro on it which I installed myself from an XP Pro CD which I bought. I have the old hard drive in the new PC as a slave drive. I want to upgrade my XP Home to XP Pro and have 2 difficulties.

Firstly, I know that I should not have XP Pro installed on 2 PC's - it will not be on 2 PC's, but unless I can find a way of removing it from the old hard drive, then I cannot avoid this. I could just delete the entire Windows directory on the old hard drive - I suppose that would do ?

Secondly, I have lost the sleeve to my XP Pro CD and hence the Product Key that went with it. I know it is somewhere - I may just have to spend a few days turning over my study to see if I can find it ! I know that there is a utility out there that can read your Product Key from the registry (JellyBean), but that is no use, as I need to find the Product Key from an old hard drive. Is there anything out there that will tell me my Product key from the previously installed system on my old hard drive ?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful. I don't want to get stuck with XP Home just because I am a slob !

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Reinstallation of Windows XP on new PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Reinstallation of Windows XP on new PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
you could try this
- Collapse -
That may just work !

Thanks, Jonah - that looks interesting. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

- Collapse -
It didn't work

Unfortunately Belarc will only report on your main drive and I cannot get it to report on a slave drive.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how I can obtain my Product Key ?

- Collapse -
It didn't work. Of course

Of course that the way you tried it won't work (this was discussed sometime before). You should install the old hard drive to the original PC and run one of the mentioned utilities again.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

CNET Forums

Forum Info