Computer Help forum

General discussion

Reinstall Windows?

by Maggie6243 / February 10, 2007 12:57 AM PST

Is it safe, or practical to reinstall windows? I had to help my sister do hers the other day, and it's running much better. It was really messed up! I got to thinking,maybe I would do mine so it would be like new. It's about 14 mos old and I'm not having a problem or anything, but I'm bad about installing and uninstalling stuff. I just figured it would clean up the hard drive just like new. I don't really know why I'm so antsy to do this. I would like some advice as to wether I should go for it, or leave well enough alone??....Maggie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it ain't broke. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 10, 2007 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Reinstall Windows?

A scratch install can be easy or disastrous. If you use the original restoral CDs it's pretty easy, just follow the prompts. If you use a scratch (full format and reinstall from a stand alone XP CD) it can be not so easy leaning toward failure. Reasons:

Restoral CDs contain all the drivers for the PC. Sound, modems, graphics, etc.

Full format contains none of these and you will have to find all the drivers. Without them your sound and video will not work.

Either method will destroy everything on the PC including favorites/bookmarks, emails, messages, accounts, pictures, music, documents, etc. on and on.

Again, if it aint' broke. . .

Collapse -
Remember that if you reinstall
by Ray Harinec / February 10, 2007 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Reinstall Windows?

your CD will put you back a year at leastm with critical updates. Then you'll have to download all of them again.

Wayne is correct, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Their are many posts in these forums on how to clean up a computer without starting over.

Collapse -
Just one more question.
by Maggie6243 / February 10, 2007 9:23 AM PST

Thanks alot guys for your advice. I think I'll leave well enough alone. If I ever need to, then I'll do it. Now, just one more question. By reinstalling windows, did it remove any viruses and spyware from my sisters computer? It seems to be running good so far. I'm thinking she had something really mean on it and hoping this took care of it. Maybe now she'll be more likely to run the anti spyware and anti virus programs I had her install....Maggie

Collapse -
Yep, The Format and Reinstall Cleaned The Viruses And......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:35 AM PST

...spyware IF they were there in the first place. It also takes the registry and such back to its original state.. She's starting with a clean computer again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks....
by Maggie6243 / February 10, 2007 9:47 AM PST

That answered my question. You guys have taught me a lot. I think I'll get her to come to this forum. I think it could really help her. Thanks for all the help all of you have given me. I don't say it enough, but I really appriciate all of you. You do a really great service to all of us.....Maggie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.