Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstall Windows

by nate49ers2005 / May 24, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

Hello.

I have a 3 year old Sony Vaio, running Windows XP SP2, and I would like to erase and repartition my hard disk, and reinstall windows. However, this computer came with Windows XP already installed, and Sony did not include a Windows XP disk or a restore disk with the computer. I do have what I think is the serial number for Windows XP
(from My Computer > Properties). Is there any way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

svz90

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Double check the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall Windows

When a restore cd is not provided, I usually find they offer to make such. Check the manuals on how.

-> Run BELARC ADVISOR and print it out so you have the current serial numbers.

BEWARE that such customizing (partitions and such) is not advised on the Sony unless you hunt down all the needed drivers and have a full retail package of XP. Still it's usually a few day process for most.

Bob

Collapse -
Hi there
by rosscbrown / May 24, 2006 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall Windows

have you tried pressing F12 on the bios boot screen (before it goes to load windows).

My VAIO has all the recovery files tucked away on a hidden part of the hard disk (partition) and when I press the F12 key on boot, it brings me into a VAIO restore mode.

If that does not work try pressing some of the other F keys on that boot screen.

And if you are still not anywhere, try asking at your local Sony Center if they have any recovery media, but be warned they could charge you between $50 and $100 for it.

Also, your Windows key should be on the OEM sticker on the side or read of the computer or underside of the notebook if it is a notebook.

Hope that helps. Best of Luck.

Regards,
Ross.

Collapse -
Disk problem solved, now have overflow problem
by nate49ers2005 / May 26, 2006 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi there

I was able to find a set of Vaio recovery disks. The restorer gets to the end of what seems to be an arbitrary disk (it stopped and the end of 1, it stopped once at the end of 3), and then has an internal overflow error. The restorer says to edit the number of stacks in the config.sys file, but the restorer erases the C drive when it starts. How should I proceed?

Thank you again,
svz90

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.