Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstall Sound Recorder in XP????

Daughter's SIL is probably blonde (can't see through the phone) and has run into a problem with Sound Recorder in XP. The sound card is installed correctly and works fine; however, hooking up a microphone and making the changes in Sound Properties/Options to include the microphone in recorder list doesn't let Sound Recorder to work. Here's what's happening.

First, if we TEST the microphone and sound card, she can talk into the mike and it comes through the speakers just fine. BUT...opening Sound Recorder gives the toolbar and the slider, but NO buttons on the bottom to press for Record, Stop, Back, Forward.

How do I get the buttons to show up? Once she closes the TEST program, the mike no longer works through the speakers either, and no 'crackles' come forth if she toggles the mike jack in the sound card. There is an off/on button on the mike but she swears it's turned to the ON position, and it would have had to be in order for the TEST to work.

After looking at the MSKB, I can see that possibly the Sound Recorder program/file is corrupt and it suggests reinstalling the SAPI component. Where would I find that in order to reinstall? I had her remove the sound card from Device Mgr and it got reinstalled immediately after a reboot, but that didn't put the SAPI file back correctly. Same problem with having no buttons showing on the SR window.

Any clues???

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall Sound Recorder in XP????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall Sound Recorder in XP????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Excuse The Primer"

In reply to: Reinstall Sound Recorder in XP????

Toni:

I know you said that the mike button is on, but It sounds like the Mike is muted in the Vol control panel. Check the tray to see if Vol Control is there, if not then Start|ControlPanel|SoundsSpeach, and Audio Devices

In the upper box see Advanced Vol Control, and see if the panel has the mike muted.

Also check in the Sounds Speach, and Audio Devices panel pick Audio Tab look to see if default device is present. Also click on Audio to see if the mike is selected.

When I checked my own set up I kept plugging the mike in the wrong connector, got the manual out and found the right connector. if this is not the problem, then a re-install of the sound card drivers maybe all that is needed. You may have to go through your add/remove panel to remove the old drivers.
Norm

Collapse -
Re: "Excuse The Primer"

In reply to: "Excuse The Primer"

Hello, Norman....long time no see. Glad to see you are still around.

OK...Mike isn't muted and I made sure it was checked in both the playback and the record area. As for the Speech portion of it, there is only MS Sam listed and no Speech Recognition tab available as the help file indicated.

The mike is plugged into the correct jack and works well during the TEST program in Sounds/Audio and the correct sound card (RealTek AC97 from onboard sound) is listed.

Sound Recorder worked fine about a week ago, and all of a sudden the buttons are missing from the program so you can't click to record, stop, or move forward or backward. Doing another MSKB search indicates that the SAPI component might be corrupt and to reinstall from the 'source disk'; however, removing and reinstalling the sound drivers didn't fix it.

I'm thinking that because Sound Recorder is actually a windows program/component that it has to be reinstalled from Windows Setup in Add-Remove Programs. But nothing to do with Entertainment is listed there anymore.

Any clues on how to reinstall the SAPI or Sound Recorder component?

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.