Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstall route

by MrJuggles / June 16, 2007 12:53 AM PDT

Hey there
I'm going to reinstall my XP but want to do it in such a way I can document it should I need to do it again. Currently I am moving all my files and folders to an external hard drive. I'm also backing up all my music onto dvd's with some Nero programme. Then when a few other little programmes have finished I'm going to disconnect from the internet and start a full install, take it back to day 1.
What I have planned is this whilst not connected to the interent.
I inetend to delete all the bundled free stuff I didn't want in the first place like AOL offers and subsriptions to things (that come on the CD)
Then Install
and the driver for my video card

Is there one place I can go to for all the microsoft updates including service pack2 so my computer is up to date. I also retentively defrag, disk clean up, adware, and cclean at least once a fortnight.

I always look at msconfig and I reduce the system restore thing to a bear minimum, I would love to unistall MSN messanger and windows explorer but hear that can be difficult.
Are there any tips you'd reccomend or programmes you think would be good for keeping the computer optimised.

Also are there any other programme that could be wiped out (I know this is all based on the preference of the user but ideas would be cool)Or any other ideas on how to speed it up?
I'm sorry if this is all over the place, and any other information you want let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall route
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall route
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where's the firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall route

It's one of the first things I install today.

As to service packs, that's easy. I run Windows Update and let it rip.

"unistall MSN messanger" If I type that into, I can pick out a good article and it's gone.

Collapse -
I thought it was there
by MrJuggles / June 16, 2007 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Where's the firewall?

Hey Bob,
I'm sure I was told either ABG was sufficient or the windows firewall you get with the security centre was adequate. If this isn't true do you know of any good free ones. Though I'm thinking of going AVG full version once I get some money.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I thought it was there

Never heard of that. AVG is an antivirus, where's the firewall again?

I'll skip repeating long firewall discussions about Windows firewall. It's not good enough today.

Collapse -
Eeek typo
by MrJuggles / June 16, 2007 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ABG?

I did mean AVG as the firewall. Can you point me to a good free firewall or at least a good discussion on this board please.
Thanks for the signposting on the remove messanger thingy, it'll be great when that's gone.
Any other speed/good house keeping tips from anyone would be great too.
Cheers for the help Bob

Collapse -
A relatively new product. I'd go with old reliable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Eeek typo

See another member's post about Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
I'll disagree
by jackson dougless / June 16, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: ABG?

The Windows firewall IS good enough for the majority of people. I have yet to see anyone offer up any good evidence as to what ZoneAlarm offers that the XP firewall doesn't, that significantly increases security. Outbound connection filtering does not significantly increase security. It's a marginal increase in security, and that's being extremely generous.

Most people simply need something to block those botnet probes that try to sniff out unpatched systems. The XP firewall does that just fine. Internal threats should be dealt with by other, more specialized, programs, not a firewall. The million and one pointless features of ZoneAlarm and others like it just waste RAM, CPU cycles, confuse people, and create more opportunities for some kind of system compromising bug in the firewall you rely on to protect you.

Not trying to start a long discussion about the relative merits of one option over the other, just offering an opposing viewpoint for the original poster to consider. So, with any luck, certain people will take the hint and keep their yaps shut for a change.

Collapse -
Just light reading about exploiting XP's firewall weakness.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll disagree
Collapse -
In addition to Bob's excellent advice
by eddie11013 / June 16, 2007 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall route

Since you have an external drive, I would add to your list, ?Before you reformat?, download a firewall, like zone alarm free, to be installed after you reformat & before you connect to the Internet; Download SP2 from Microsoft website: & install before you connect to the Internet; you can only get windows updates at their site after you connect to the Internet:
Regarding windows messenger, have a look here, print it out in advance maybe:
Regarding msconfig & optimization, maybe auto runs might be easier, have a look here & maybe download some stuff in advance to be used after you reformat:
Good luck,

Collapse -
by MrJuggles / June 17, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

I've done it. I put all the files I wanted onto my external HD and installed them all before connecting to the internet.
AVG Free

What I need to know is this. Are there any good firewalls out there? I remember using Zone Alarm and it really noticably slowed my computer down (which I guess could be a configuration thingy)
Additional to that, does anyone know how to uninstall
Windows movie maker (I can't find it in the programmes)
Outlook express (same as above)
Interactive Training (I removed that from the add/remove programme thingy and it's still there and still works, so I wonder if the video and audio are the same)
I have loads more questions, probably very simple, but then I'm a simple person Wink Is there a PC verion of
Like I said I have some more questions if your willing to help, but I don't want to be too annoying by shooting loads off.
Oh Eddie, the links worked and I've got rid of Messanger, thank god. I'm gonna take my time with the tuning up.
Thanks again guys

Collapse -
XP's is fine
by jackson dougless / June 17, 2007 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Phew!!

I wouldn't call XP's firewall good, but then I wouldn't call ZoneAlarm good either. But both will get the job done equally well if you ask me. XP's firewall just has fewer frills, so uses less RAM and CPU time.

I'm also not sure if you can remove Windows Movie Maker or Outlook Express, but the upside is they don't take up that much space, and you don't have to use them just because they're there.

And there's no need for the monolingual thing, because Windows doesn't install language files unless you tell it to.

Collapse -
OK then and thankyou ;-)
by MrJuggles / June 17, 2007 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: XP's is fine

ok I guess I'll stop being retentive then. AVG piad for version comes with a firewall so that'll do when I get around to it. I don't actually feel too unsure as I don't serve riskily (is that a real word) and heavily, it's all very domestic. In the process I've made a lot of judgment calls to drop a lot of the stuff I got for the sake of "I could.." rather than I needed it, so on a disk should I ever 'NEED' is
Photoshop CS2
Adobe Full whistles and bells version
Dreamwaver MX
Pinnacle 9
Real Player

Finaaly any good maintenance tips? I feel pretty much sorted as I defrag, cclean, adawre and AVG at least once a fortnight. But if any has a 'Never save a file here..' or 'Always delte this after your done..' or general good practices they find makes them happy I'd love to hear.

Collapse -
by jackson dougless / June 17, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

I may be one of the wrong people to ask... I'm not always the best at deleting things when I don't need them anymore.

IMO, and this is like an almost religious contention for some, defragmenting is a waste of time. It has negligible effects on performance, and it causes considerable stress to the drive, for little to no gain. I never bother defragmenting myself. I don't have anything to back up my claims, but then neither does anyone who claims it has all these mythical powers. In some specific cases, defragmenting can be worthwhile, but for the average person, it's a complete waste of time.

ccleaner and adaware are largely pointless if you're using Firefox as your primary browser. They might find a few tracking cookies, but those are of pretty minimal threat. Those programs exist to try and deal with security deficiencies in Internet Explorer. If you only use IE to download security updates, you should be able to cut back to once a month, maybe less. I don't even have them installed, but I never use IE for anything but Windows Update, and I'm good about avoiding other risky things.

The rest I'm pretty easy going on... Save a file wherever you want, so long as you can remember where you put it later.

You just want to be sure to avoid pirated and file sharing programs. There are usually free alternatives out there that will get the job done if you look. Many of those will be free of any kind of spyware. Like The GIMP works well as a Photoshop replacement for most non-professionals... OpenOffice can be both an Office replacement, AND an Adobe Acrobat replacement, since it has a PDF export option. I'll admit DreamWeaver is pretty nice, even if the WYSIWYG editor is kind of crap. Limewire should just be avoided no matter what... RealPlayer has MediaPlayer Classic and Real Alternative. And I forget what Pinnacle is, but odds are, there's a free alternative that's just fine for a non-pro.

This lets you avoid running unknown, and suspect, programs to counteract anti-piracy measures on software. And avoiding all the crap floating around the Limewire network.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?