Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstall problems with XP Home Edition

by Trailhop / April 14, 2005 6:54 PM PDT

I am attempting a reformat/reinstall on my daughters Dell; OS is XP Home Edition. Everything was going well until I got to the "preparing to install". At that point I got a message, "File needed" It needs the asms file, which should be on the installation CD. I've searched the Dell and Microsoft sites and tried the tips I picked up there, but none work. Another problem now is, I can get back into F2 setup, but I can't get the darn computer to allow me to start over. The computer will no longer allow me to boot from the CD when I change the boot sequence. I need to figure out how to get back to delete the partitions (again) and start over, but I no longer get the prompt "press any key to begin setup"

*the CD Rom drive is working. (only one CD ROM drive)
*the installation CD is clean.

I'm not a techie, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall problems with XP Home Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall problems with XP Home Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this should help you
by jonah jones / April 14, 2005 7:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
XP Reinstall Problems
by wynelldj / April 15, 2005 1:31 AM PDT

I've had XP Home & Pro do some weird things during reinstalls, so I have little experience in this arena. Firts question is are using the Dell Installation CD? Secondly how comfortable do you feel going inside the case of the computer? The reason for the second question is sometimes the CMOS (setup menu), can get "hosed" during a reinstall, and may prevent you from booting from the CD among other things. It sometimes helps to remove the jumper clamp on the motherboard that is labeled J1 or Clear CMOS. If you remove that clamp for 15 seconds, and then put it back on the motherboard it will essential clear the memory of the CMOS. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE PC IS POWERED DOWN, AND PREFERRABLY UNPLUGED!!! You will have to go back into the CMOS and manually reset the date/time, and boot sequence, but that's easy to do.

After that is done you should be able to boot from the CD again, and reattempt your installation. If you don't feel comfortable opening the case, I recommend taking it to computer repair shop. The smaller shops (not your Best Buy, Cicruit City ant etc.) will give you a better rate on the service. I hope that this helps you out.

Collapse -
XP Reinstall Problems
by Trailhop / April 15, 2005 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: XP Reinstall Problems

Thanks for the suggestions. Both were very helpful.
Luckily I didn't have to open up the case to the computer. (that would have been intimidating for me, but that never stops me totally).
I got XP installed and the drivers and programs loaded.
Now I have to download all of the updates.
I think the problem I had was due to the fact that I tried to do the quick format, rather then the long one. Anyone who reads this thread and has the same problem... DON'T PICK THE QUICK FORMAT. Start over and choose the other one. I feel a bit sheepish over such a ridiculous error, but ya live and learn.
Again, my most sincere thanks for the help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!