Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RegSeeker

by tomscn / December 21, 2008 1:45 AM PST

Hello: I just installed this utility (RegSeeker 1.5.5)and ran it on my registry to find something that was in my hijackthis log called "AutoTBar.exe" and "AutoPlay.exe" The regseeker found them and I backed them up and Deleted them. Atleast I thought I did, but they always Pop back up in the registry, Even hijackthis deleted them and they popped back up again.
Anyone know why I cannot remove these from the registry permanently? Or how to? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RegSeeker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RegSeeker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try
by jeffrowell / December 21, 2008 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: RegSeeker

my friend try my suggestions:

1. try to use ccleaner, available free at http://www.filehippo.com
2. or malwarebytes(search in google.com), update first before you can scan your machine...

regards,

abdur rahim

Collapse -
AutoTBar.exe Wont Stay Deleted
by tomscn / December 21, 2008 6:16 PM PST
In reply to: try

abdur: I already used malwarebytes, it does not detect the AutoTBar.exe niether does Spyware Terminator, or Windows Defender,or my antivirus, Jv16 Power tools.
When I use hijackthis it detects it but like RegSeeker it removes it but AutoTBar.exe keeps popping back into the registry.
I have CCleaner installed it yesterday (dont know how to pinpoint the AutoTBar.exe with it to try to remove it.
But anyway, something is scheduling this .exe to be put back in the registry after I remove it, and Id like to know what?
I even remove it manually and it comes back. Dont see anything in MsConfig that would start it off either.
If you know how I can pinpoint this .exe using CCleaner, please let me know and I will give it a try? Thanks, Tom

Collapse -
IE Toolbar?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 7:31 PM PST

I found this;

"autotbar.exe is a process belonging to the HP AutoView Internet Explorer Toolbar. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference".

So, do you have an HP AutoView Internet Explorer Toolbar? If so, you can probably disable it in IE.

Google AutoTBar.exe for more information.

Mark

Collapse -
IE Toolbar
by tomscn / December 21, 2008 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: IE Toolbar?

I know it is from HP and I think it is spyware! but it cannot be disabled anywhere that I can see, if you cannot delete it, I doubt if it can be disabled.
I dont know where to disable it, if I could, any idea's? Thanks

Collapse -
You know its from HP?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 8:20 PM PST
In reply to: IE Toolbar

I didn't see that in your posts.

Google helps here. I found the following from http://www.file.net/process/autotbar.exe.html

"Auto T Bar is not required to run at start up. If you disable the HP VIEW toolbar in IE and re-arrange the toolbars, on a reboot they will be back as they were before if this is left enabled". {I corrected a couple of spelling/punctuation errors}.

Can you state where that fails for you?

Mark

Collapse -
RegSeeker
by tomscn / December 21, 2008 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: You know its from HP?

You said>> Auto T Bar is not required to run at start up. If you disable the HP VIEW toolbar in IE and re-arrange the toolbars, on a reboot they will be back as they were before if this is left enabled".

I have read what you saying before, but the problem is, I dont see it anywhere in IE toolbar to disable it. I only see HP Toolkit.
Also, disabled there or not, if it is removed from the registry, it should STAY removed, that is telling me this is spyware.
I will double check the site you mentioned again, to see what I can or cannot do and get back to you, Thanks

Collapse -
OK, try this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:16 PM PST

Are you using IE7 or a previous version of IE?

I ask, because IE7 is slightly different in how it displays its Menu options. In IE6 and below they are clearly visible along the top, eg
File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help.

IE7 hides those, so you have to press the ALT key to display them.

Try the "View" menu item, then Toolbars > Menu bar. This will lock the menu bar in place until you unlock it to hide it again.

Is there any option in the View menu to disable this HP AutoTBar? If not, right click any empty part of the Menu toolbar and see if there is an option there.

What options are there in the HP Toolkit?

I have found some more resources that may help, this time about that HP Toolkit. They may help you resolve this;

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2005/07/19/feedback-hp-toolkit/
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/hptoolkit.htm

I can understand you wanting this gone, such add-ons and other utilities that PC manufacturers include are often more trouble than they are worth. While it may be causing your anti-virus or anti-spyware to flag it as spyware, usually these are not the type of spyware that can damage systems or steal personal identification. At worst they are 'helpers' that monitor certain activity on your system to assist you and make your experience better, and it is that monitoring that is flagged as spyware.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
windowsxp regseeker
by tomscn / December 21, 2008 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: OK, try this.

Mark did you get my last reply? I think the reply I sent disappeared?

Collapse -
All I can see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: windowsxp regseeker
Collapse -
RegSeeker
by tomscn / December 22, 2008 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: All I can see

ok, I am using IE7 and I only see hp toolkit in the drop down menu(dont know if it is part of the AutoTBar.exe)? But there is difintely something wrong with this hp tool kit, when I allowed the toolbar to show there was Nothing on it but a corner icon with the words HpToolkit on it and when I double clicked it, IE popped up a screen saying "To help protect your security, internet explorer has restricted this from coming up!
So I guess that is telling me it is the AutoTBar.exe.
I never had this problem in 8 years nor did I ever see an autotbar.exe on my pc before.
I still have to look into the websites you supplied to see how or IF it can be removed from my pc
I may look into Unlocker or Move on boot to see if they can remove it?
The one site said it was only 33% dangerous, thats 33% too much for me.
Maybe I should also, contact HP to see why they snuck this thing onto my pc. What are your thoughts on this Mark? Thanks

Collapse -
Just a couple of thoughts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 7:10 AM PST

That IE message is warning that the HPToolkit is using some sort of ActiveX or Javascript. Normally I would say your IE Security settings are set too high, and that is what prevents the toollkit window from displaying. It is likely that there are settings in it that you can use.

IE often brings up a yellow bar across the top of the web page when it says it is preventing something or other. If you click that yellow bar, you can sometimes see options, eg, "allow this content". Otherwise, you would need to review your security settings in IE to allow this.

That's normally, but since you want to remove this HPToolkit, then IE seems to be doing its job.

One of the sites I gave states that HPToolkit is listed in the Control Panel's Add/Remove programs. So that would be a good place to have a look. Although you may have looked there before, you may not have been looking specifically for HPToolkit.

Good luck. Tell us more when you can.

Mark

Collapse -
RegSeeker
by tomscn / December 22, 2008 7:43 AM PST

Mark, Thanks, Your right, it security did bring up the sign to click on to give it permission and I did not give it, also Java is set on High

I did see HP Toolkit in the add/remove and did not remove it because I did not know it was connected to the AutoTBar.exe
I found out there is also an AutoBar.exe too, but I think (not sure) that is a goody, but not sure yet.
I was wondering what that HpTool kit controls, I think it may just be Photo imaging etc. I dont use any of that anyway.
I am thinking about removing HPTool kit from add/remove?
BTW, I went to the My Regedit.exe and searched and found three AutoTbar.exe's and I renamed them AutoTBarold.exe then I used RegSeeker to remove all three AutoTbar.exe's and on first try, it did not work, as a matter of fact they doubled in amounts (6 total)So I removed them all and restarted the pc.
Now I cannot find them in Regedit or RegSeeker.
But the HPTool kit toolbar is still there. Maybe that will disappear if I remove it from add/remove?

Collapse -
HPToolkit and Regedit/RegSeeker
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 6:55 PM PST

Hi again tomscn. I've started a new sub-thread from here as the Jive Forums have a limit on how many posts we can make in sub-threads, and we reached the limit in the other one.

I'm never sure about suggesting anyone making changes to the registry, and certainly I will never recommend any registry 'optimisers'. Some are just pain bad, (RegCure is an ongoing discussion all over these forums as such a bad example), and whilst others may be OK, we see too many horror stories in the forums where members have used them without knowing enough about what the optimisers are doing, and end up with an Operating System that is unserviceable.

That said, if you are comfortable using them, and making your own changes to the registry, then I have no problem with that.

I'm surprised that renaming an .exe file to 'old.exe' in the registry doubles the entry. It's like a horror film isn't it, where the head of an alien creature gets cut off, and it grows another one! Happy

Now you have removed all those from the registry, I would guess that two things will happen;

A] The HPToolkit in IE7 may not work now, even if you give IE permission.

B] If you try to uninstall HPToolkit toolbar through the Add/Remove applet in the CP, that will fail, because the process cannot find the appropriate registry entry to delete.

Did you say you found an AutoBar.exe in Add/Remove or was that found elsewhere? Is it AutoBar.exe or AutoTBar.exe? They could be different.

This is what I think now.

1] If this were me, I would go for it. I would open IE7 and attempt to use the HP Toolkit there, and give permission when IE warns me. I would want to know what this toolkit does, and see what options it has, what preferences. There may be something there that allows for the toolkit to be disabled.

If I was concerned about any personal information being sent over the internet, I would block internet access via the firewall first. (My ZoneAlarm firewall allows me to stop all internet traffic by right clicking the ZA icon in the System Tray). But to be honest, I don't think this HP utility does that. I don't see it sending personal information through the internet.

SP2 and later Windows updates greatly increased the security of both Windows and Internet Explorer itself. IE7 was also an improvement in browser security, so it would not surprise me that you have always had this HP Toolkit toolbar working in the background in previous versions of IE, but never noticed. Therefore allowing it to function just one more time, to see what it is and does, will not be any different to before.

2] If you have never used any of the HP Toolkit utilities and/or functions since you had the computer then, again if this were me, I would attempt to uninstall it now.

I would take precautions. Set a System Restore point before uninstalling, and backup all my personal files, the ones I couldn't afford to lose like photos, music, videos, documents, etc. But then I always back these up anyway.

There you are. That's what I would do. I might have a stiff drink of whiskey next to me as I do it of course, Devil

Mark

Collapse -
HPToolkit and Regedit/RegSeeker
by tomscn / December 22, 2008 9:39 PM PST

Hi Mark: Thanks, Yeah, I found that autobar.exe in with the Castle Cops list of .exe's. Did not look into it to see what it does!
Your right about deleting it in add/remove after getting hopefully rid of it in the registry. But I know how to get rid of Ghost add/remove programs.

The HPToolKit does not seem to do anything,like I mentioned it just as an Icon on it toolbar and when clicked on does nothing, I just clicked on it and I heard a sharp bleep, like when your antivirus finds a virus.
I dont like it, but I dont know if i can get rid of the toolbar itself?

I had a program called Pando on my IE 7/firefox (not IE7 itself) toolbar and when I found out it was connected to spyware, I removed it the same way, thats still on my drop down menu in firefox too

No one seems to know how to get rid of these toolbars?

As far as HP toolbar goes, I never use photo stuff or things of that nature, so I will do my best at removing everything connected with it/
BTW, I wrote HP about it and so far they are not answering me. I plan to pester them about it to get some answers!

I never had any of these problems until I installed SP3, should have stayed with sp2?

Collapse -
SP3/SP2
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 2:00 AM PST

No you are better off with SP3. Like I said, it is probably because of the increased security invoked by these Windows updates that the toolbar and toolkit has suddenly been brought to your notice. So reverting back to SP2 might just hide them again.

I suspect that losing those registry entries means that the IE7 toolbar no longer works properly.

In IE7 see if you can delete the toolbar. Goto Tools > Manage Add-ons. In the new dialog, select one of the pull down options in "Show" and then look down the list for anything to do with HP or Toolbars. If you find one, highlight it, and then click the Delete button. I'm not sure which "Show" option it will be listed under.

Firefox doesn't make it so easy to delete add-ons. In Tools > Add-ons, you can search for Pando and see if there is a disable option, but I see no way to delete them. However disabling is just as effective.

Your Add/Remove Programs listing may have a few ghosts. It isn't Microsoft's fault, the 3rd party developers often seem to see Add/Remove as a minor nuisance, and so don't code correctly. But often, by highlighting an entry then clicking Remove, (or Change/Remove), the applet will offer to remove the entry itself if it is unable to find the software to uninstall it

Mark

Collapse -
sp2/sp3
by tomscn / December 23, 2008 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: SP3/SP2

Mark: You said>>> I suspect that losing those registry entries means that the IE7 toolbar no longer works properly
Actually the only thing dont work right is the HpTool kit on IE toolbar and thanks to you, I disabled it and now it dont show up
I did not know that it was an Add-on to IE7
I dont have it on yahoo/firefox.
I just followed some instructions from HP they also gave me a Browser Hijacker Removal tool, but it did not find AutoTBar or even Hp toolbar kit. Go figure. Guess as you mentioned I removed it to a certain extent
AutoTBar.exe is still coming up on hijackthis and regseeker

I am really glad you mentioned the add ons, atleast the IE browser looks better without seeing the HPtoolkit. Thanks
Waiting now for HP to reply, I told them Id like to uninstall the Hp toolkit from add/remove just to see what they say.

Collapse -
Regseeker
by gardener60 / December 23, 2008 5:19 PM PST

It sounds like you have it listed under your startup items.Run msconfig and uncheck the entry if found.Hope this helps.

Collapse -
RegSeeker
by tomscn / December 23, 2008 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: Regseeker

Garner60: Thanks for the reply, I wish it were that simple, thats the first thing I checked, AutoTBar.exe Is not in there or in any startup menu.
As mentioned, I deleted everything in the registry that had to do with this .exe. But it still shows up 3 times on Regseeker Scans
and Hijackthis scans
It just keeps coming back after removing.
The only thing I can see, is its going under a different name, sometimes items are hidden that way so you wont find them.
Someone out there must have this AutoTBar.exe on there pc and I like to find out how they got rid of it, if they did?????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!