Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Registry tells a tale?

by work4fun / March 27, 2005 4:41 PM PST

While perusing my registry as part of running RegSeeker, I came across references to a number of programs (pathfinder, phobus, WinAmp for example) which have never been installed on this computer - at least not since I bought it from Dell in December 04. Is this my clue that this really ISN'T a new computer - that someone had installed these programs at some point, uninstalled them, and never cleaned up the registry? Or am I just being paranoid?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry tells a tale?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry tells a tale?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the computer is second hand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 4:45 PM PST
In reply to: Registry tells a tale?

then I would guess that your first thought is correct, that someone had installed WinAmp, etc.

Perhaps they uninstalled through the Add/Remove programs utility in the Control Panel and never bothered to do a sweep with a Registry Cleaner.

Very often files and registry entries will be left over after an uninstall, but XP handles them much better than Win 9x or ME ever did.

Not much to worry about I feel.

Mark

Collapse -
I paid the "new" price
by work4fun / March 30, 2005 12:41 AM PST

Thanks, Mark.

So, if this was sold to me as NEW, and I paid the NEW price to Dell, should I be concerned?

Also, I sometimes get an error on startup re: GDWH not responding (which is why I was scanning the registry to begin with). Might these things be related?

Collapse -
You should be talking
by tcantrelln / March 30, 2005 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: I paid the "new" price

Loudly to Dell and pounding on the virtual counter....

Collapse -
Just a note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 2:22 AM PST

Dell preloads many many drivers so support calls are reduced. It is far away from what you would see installed from a plain Retail XP CD...

I see nothing wrong here.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by work4fun / March 31, 2005 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: Just a note.

Thanks for the input.

I seem to have eliminated the GDWH problem (at least for now) with SpySubtract.

Fingers crossed....

Collapse -
Look at the original invoice
by glb613 / March 30, 2005 3:08 AM PST

It should list everything that was factory installed.

Collapse -
Is it "New?" or is it "Used?"
by miwin1000 / March 31, 2005 12:45 PM PST

I have had suspicions of used products being sold as "New". I have gotten bad hard drives that were supposedly "new", that had tales in them of previous installations. I would look in System Information" and look at the history sheet. (Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information/view/system history) What you see might surprise you.

Collapse -
GDWH error message
by P8TYS / November 1, 2005 7:49 PM PST

I posted this message also in Dell's Community Forum:

Regarding the mysterious and frustrating error message "End Program GDWH - Not Responding"

I was setting up a new Dell PC with McAfee SecurityCenter preinstalled by Dell. I configured everything except the Privacy Service and the Spamkiller. I wanted to wait until I was with the user to set these up.

Until I uninstalled the Privacy Service component (under Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel) I could not find the source of this error - nothing in registry or services etc. Very frustrating. I will reinstall this at a later time when I have user info to complete the setup.

I would suggest trying this and see if this solves your problem. I wonder why Dell doesn't document this?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Perhaps a Refurbish or Remanufature
by caktus / November 2, 2005 2:48 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!