PC Applications forum

General discussion

Registry repair

by onefinger / March 30, 2004 9:36 AM PST

I had a very frustrating problem with ZoneAlarm. Trying to fix it, I got lots of 'help' instructions from Zonelabs, all of which tried to walk me through the removal of ZoneAlarm. But nothing would completely remove it, and I keep getting an error page, and can't access the internet. Their final plan is to edit the registry (they want me to delete a key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES), but they caution against doing so if one is not "comfortable" with tinkering with the registry, and I'm not.

Can someone direct me to a software (preferably downloadable freeware or shareware) that will 'fix' the registry by removing anything connected to the removed ZoneAlarm, and which are no longer needed, without messing it up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry repair
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry repair
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Registry repair
by glb613 / March 30, 2004 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Registry repair

Editing the registry is not difficult. Make sure you back it up. I would also create a restore point if using ME or XP. When you have done that, follow the instructions you got from Zone Labs.

I'm guessing they want you to delete any entries with Zone Alarm listed. I had to do that with Norton's Internet Security to get it completely off my computer. I found the entries, highlighted them and hit the delete key. Bingo, they were gone and my computer runs just fine. Actually, it runs better since I got rid of the conflicts.

Collapse -
Re:Registry repair
by Dick Humfrey / March 30, 2004 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Registry repair
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?