General discussion

'Registry Mechanic 4.0 for Windows'..Any opinions?

While looking something up at Google, I ran across an ad at pctools.com. It was for 'Registry Mechanic? 4.0 for Windows'. It seemed simple enough for a newbie, but I question anything /everything I download. (I presently have no registry cleaners for my WinXP Home Edition..SP2, nor do I know if it is imperative.)

Despite the fact that "they" say, there are 100,000+ downloads a week, I would feel alot more comfortable hearing about it's effectiveness and reliability from those I trust at this site. I might stress, I don't have any problems, that "I know of", but would not be surprised to find items that need to be "cleaned up". Am I looking for trouble??

Thanks in advance..

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 'Registry Mechanic 4.0 for Windows'..Any opinions?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 'Registry Mechanic 4.0 for Windows'..Any opinions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RegMech 4.0

I have been running Registry Mechanic for almost two years and have no complaints at all. It keeps your registry clean and tidy, unravels faults and repairs that which is broken. Regmech also has a back up system in case you remove something you should not have and wish to restore the registry to its original state. It is simple to use and the settings are quite easy to understand.

- Collapse -
I agree.......

with phatdaddy. i have used Mech for two years and am still using v 4 and have not updated to v5 because the earlier one does everything I need. Using the reg utilities keeps my system running well. The cleaning tools are excellent and have saved over 1 gigabyte of disk space. The alternative to the recycle bin, Incinerator is equally excellent. The only prob is the defrag equivalent which is exceedingly slow, but more thorough than windows defrag.

Hope this helps,

Tony

- Collapse -
V5?????????????????????????/ Where

do you find that??? V4 is the only thing that I see at their website.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ray there is only V4
- Collapse -
Thanks to all.. can I presume..

Although it seemed simple enough, after reading about it, my only other question would be this.. How well do I have to know the Registry, in order to make any necessary changes? Or do I "leave the driving to them"? I realize the bottomline is... there's a backup.. just in case.

I'll most likely use it.. guess I'm looking for a little reassurance. The only way I'm going to know is by "just doing it"!!

Thanks for your speedy replies.
[PS I didn't see where there was an option for v5, unless it came through as an update (?)]

CNET Forums

Forum Info