Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Registry Errors - HELP

yea my computer has not been in use for the last month because i blew out my motherboard, now i got a new one and i keep getting these pop ups titles "Messenger Service" and it will read something like "Message from SECURITY to ALERT on 6/11/2005 7:28:21 PM STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS To fix the errors please do the following:
1. Download Registry Repair from: http://www.windowsregfix.com
2. Install Rregistry Repair
3. Run Registry Repair
4. Reboot your computer
FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION

What should I do? The website and something else differs everytime. I'm running Windows XP pro Pentium 3 1 ghz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry Errors - HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry Errors - HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Its a spyware add!!!!

In reply to: Registry Errors - HELP

So run a spyware program (like spybot)and make sure your "popup" blocker is on - its probably a third party cookie that has been installed - i block ALL 3rd party cookie (see privacy section in IE options).
While you are in the options menu delete all cookies and files.
OR you can download the program and try it if you want
Regards,
peter

Collapse -
Windows Messanger

In reply to: Its a spyware add!!!!

Collapse -
Your link

In reply to: Windows Messanger

It only gives instructions on how to disable "windows messenger" - there is no mention of this registry repair program - I cant see the relationship to this problem - have I missed something???
Peter

Collapse -
a better link/explanation

In reply to: Your link

Collapse -
I did this to fix the problem

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: I did this to fix the problem

There probably isn't any problem with your registry.

Windows Messenger gets hijacked and spam messages are sent.

The link for shoothtemessenger posted above will stop Windows Messenger fro starting, and it's a utility you don't need anyway.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks alot

In reply to: I agree

for the windows messenger sevice tutorial, in my using win 2000 i had disabled it long ago and never thought about it any more...now with xp i am learning what to do as well as what not to do...what to turn off and what to never turn off, again thanks to dager906 & jonah jones.
thanks also to bring_a_smile for the link to shootthemessenger that will stop windows messenger in it's tracks.

Collapse -
registry cleaner ?

here's a thanks to ThePoopsmith who started this thread with a link to what looks like my new registry cleaner. the one i use has been doing a great job with win 2000 & win98 which are on the other puters/laptop, with xp i wanted a newer program. has anyone used this program called Repair Registry Pro and can they offer some pro's & con's on it.

Collapse -
My computer is going crazy

For the last 2 hours or so my computer has been going pop up crazy. I'm starting to think I might have spyware or something on it. Tell me if this sounds like a bug : Message from SECURITY to ALERT on 7/6/2005 11:59:30PM STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS. To fix the error please do the folling: 1.Download Registry Repair from:http://www.windowsregfix.com 2.Install Regisrty Repair 3. Run Regisrty Repair 4. Reboot your computer FAILURE TO ACT NOW MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND CORRUPTION! After reading it there was an OK button so I clicked on it and another weird pop-up showed up with almost the exact message, the only thing was I kept getting new websites to go to. I deceided to check it out so I came here to look up the website, well they're FAKE. Now I can't get this stupid pop-up off of my screen. If anyone out there is having the same problem and some way fixed it please reply to this. Thank you.

Collapse -
It is not really wise

In reply to: My computer is going crazy

to post a question in another person's thread, especially if that thread is aging.

However now you have, did you try the "shootthemessenger" link given above? If so, what happened?

Mark

Collapse -
Nothing to Worry about

Hi ThePoopsmith and Dell Dummy,

Do not Download any Programs to Fix the Registry..Everything is Normal..Its Just an Advertisement that has been displayed using Windows Messenger...

Simple Fix..Uninstall Windows Messenger

Start-Control Panel-(Add or Remove Programs)-
On the Left Hand Side..Click on Add/Remove Windows Components..Scroll Down..Uncheck Windows Messenger..
Click Next...Finally click Finsih..Done

Regards,
S.Ahmed

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.