Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Registry Disaster

XP Home SP1 P4 2.4 Gig
Got a microsoft installer error, the one stated here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315353

So I followed the M$ advice and had a major disaster.

After rebooting, no apps have any icons or program affiliations.
System Restore, My Computer, Explorer, Control Panel are all non-functioning.

If I boot to Safe Mode w command window, I can get to the registry editor, but so far have not been able to
fix the problem.I should have backed up the registry first, but I haven't been able to import the HKey_classes_ROOT from another computer anyway. It says there are errors and won't import it.

Looking at permission for that KEY, it didn't have SYSTEM in the list, so I added it and gave it FULL permissions.

If I could get System Restore to function, I would just go back.

Any ideas...
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry Disaster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry Disaster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ''What about'' the last paragraph of the article?

In reply to: Registry Disaster

Collapse -
Re: (NT) ''What about'' the last paragraph of the article?

In reply to: (NT) ''What about'' the last paragraph of the article?

Unfortunately, system restore will not run from the command prompt.

So I finally did a repair install and it still has the registry errors.

So i guess its now, clean install time.

Collapse -
''Will not'' or ''Cannot''?

In reply to: Re: (NT) ''What about'' the last paragraph of the article?

The article [Q304449] describes steps for starting System Restore from the Command Prompt when you are unable to start the computer normally or in Safe mode.

Collapse -
Re: ''Will not'' or ''Cannot''?

In reply to: ''Will not'' or ''Cannot''?

I do believe I said CANNOT.

Nothing except regedit would run from safe mode with command prompt. I took awhile but I finally figured out (actually my son did) that the permissions in the registry were screwed up on the HKey_CLASSES_ROOT key.

The permissions for Administrator and Administrators was not there, this stopped all program usage when booted to an admin account. Once the permissions were added back the problem went away.

Collapse -
Merl, do you have a bootable WinXP CD?

In reply to: Registry Disaster

If so, then try this. Basically, it's a how to for using the Recovery Console. NOTE: Read the piece twice before starting, then follow the instructions without fail. It's not hard - just complicated at some points...

Collapse -
Merl, Before you try a clean install--

In reply to: Merl, do you have a bootable WinXP CD?

Since I had similar problems with XP when I added SP2 and tried to uninstall some applications, I re-installed XP over the problem XP installation. (Not a repair install, but a complete install without formatting the HDD) The new installation corrected all the registry problems, but left all the installed programs in place and did not eliminate my important files. (Naturally if you can --back up your important files first)Of course you will have to reinstall the service packs to XP but this is a small price to pay for straightening out the registry.

Good Luck.

Rich

Collapse -
Re: Merl, Before you try a clean install--

In reply to: Merl, Before you try a clean install--

I finally fixed the permissions problem in the registry.
I got all the programs to run again, however, there were already more problems that I didn't know about.

Apparently the registry was damaged in other places as well before my fiasco.

So I did a clean install without formatting so the data is all still there, just need to re-install the programs.

Less time wasted doing a re-install than trying to fix a screwed up system.

Thanks All

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.