Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Registry cleaners not for the unadvanced?

by grandpaw7 / October 31, 2004 1:46 AM PDT

That's the message I get because of the danger that the cleaner might remove something that is needed. But I wonder how much benefit a person gets from using a registry cleaner the right way. If it's very much, I wonder about a person posting the results of a registry scan and asking whether any of the items ought not to be fixed. And are there registry cleaners that may not be thorough but are safe for a non-tech to use? Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry cleaners not for the unadvanced?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry cleaners not for the unadvanced?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Registry cleaners not for the unadvanced?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

The benefits have waned for XP. It used to be a BIG DEAL and you could see definite payback for Windows 95, 98 and ME.

You didn't note the OS so I'm unsure if such would "pay off". But to repeat myself, I've yet to see a register cleaner help speed up or clean up XP and ... pay off.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by grandpaw7 / October 31, 2004 1:38 AM PDT

It's XP. One day, probably way in the distance, I'll remember to post the info I should, such as my OS. Probably in my next life. grandpaw

Collapse -
by Shirley R / October 31, 2004 3:10 AM PST

HI Bob:

My OS is W98SE, and I have RegCleaner 4.3, Build 780 installed but have been hesitant to use it. You stated that using a registry cleaner on this OS would be a "definite payback". I have had this PC for almost 5 years and it is running slower. I would like to use RegCleaner, and if I follow either of the following two options do you think I would I have any problems?

Tools/Registry Cleanup/Do them all, OR
Options/Registry Cleanup/Method/Automatic.

Of course I would first make a back up.

Would appreciate your advice.

And, Grandpa, thanks for posting the question!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Opps, sorry for misspelling, Grandpaw!
by Shirley R / October 31, 2004 3:14 AM PST
Collapse -
No problem, Shirley
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 1:44 AM PST

The important thing is to keep the '"grand" in grandpaw; it lends class. The "paw" is optional. grandpaw

Collapse -
by Bob__B / October 31, 2004 4:02 AM PST

I have w98se and R/C 4.3.

Every few months I wake up R/C and let it fly using these options.

Tools/Registry Cleanup/Do them all

So far I have NOT seen an issue.
It runs peels out some number of items and finishes.

Impact on perf---none that I can see.

Collapse -
by Shirley R / October 31, 2004 4:17 AM PST

Thanks, Bob. I will use it, even though it doesn't inprove performance. At least it will clean out some items.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by shmalan / November 30, 2004 7:36 AM PST

to the person with the computer that seems slower than usual,if you've tried a registry cleaner with none or minimal results maybe you should try using a decent spyware program.There are lots of freebies out there that work quite well at detecting and removing spyware.If you surf you might want to check it out, it might surprise you.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 31, 2004 5:23 AM PST

Shirley, I follow bob's method... always works well. In addition I use some other utilities, each seem to get things that others miss. Never had any problem with any of these. Generally they all make backups or give that option. Listing these below for information. Mostly I think I like CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) best... seems to get more junk left over from uninstalls.

EasyCleaner
RegCleaner
RegScrubXP
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)

All these are free and when doing a thorough clean up I use them all. My middle name is "overkill"! Wink

By-the-way, spell check was not used in checking this post. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
by Shirley R / October 31, 2004 9:46 AM PST

Hi Glenn:

Tks. for the info. Since I successfully used RegCleaner without any problems (computer still running):D I will give CCleaner a try, after I find it on Google. Wink

I didn't find any typos in your message, good thing! Devil

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, my middle name is "overly cautious". Happy

I love those icons. Learned how to do them on here. I have learned so much from this forum and Virus & Securities.

Thanks again, and

Have a good evening.

Shirley

Collapse -
by glenn30 / October 31, 2004 11:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 2, 2004 1:18 AM PST

Thank you, Glenn. I have just put it into my Favorites and will also download it. But Shirley, give Registry Mechanic a lookover also, it gives you many options like backups, repair etc. I uninstalled yesterday incredimail as you might know from my previous message and today my Reg.Mech. cleaned out, what the "uninstall" didn't take away. Perfect. 69 items were left in the registry......
God knows, what else is left in there. I am too scared to tamper with it and yet I would also like to have everything "perfect".
P.S. Glenn, would it be ok. to work with both the crap cleaner and R.M.?
Oh, just in case I don't reply back, it's because I still have problems finding each forum and I still don't know which of the forum's I should go to.
Lol.

Collapse -
by mpacey / October 31, 2004 1:02 PM PST

Hi Shirley R,

I would suggest you also try RegSeeker 1.35

It is available here:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

You may be surprised how many entries it finds (I know I was!)

Of course, back up your Registry first.

I usually back it up 3 ways:

Create a Restore Point (If possible), back up through the RegSeeker Program itself, and export the Registry to a folder through Regedit.

Happy cleaning!

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 4, 2004 11:18 PM PST

Just a question please, all the cleaners you mentioned above, you said they were free, but where do one find them???
Thanks
Tobius...

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 5, 2004 9:03 AM PST

Enter the cleaner name in Google search engine. That should do the trick. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 9:05 AM PST
Collapse -
by tholmes / November 6, 2004 1:31 AM PST

Thank you Grif..
I am still not sure if cleaning my registry is a thing I want to attempt or not but well if I can formnat a computer I should be able to do this right?? Happy
Tobius...

Collapse -
by keyhoti / December 2, 2004 9:01 AM PST

Actually, Bob, I am far from an expert in this and other matters, but I use "Registry Healer" (with XP Home SP2) in both "advanced" and "safe" modes, and I find that my machine efficiency increases ... plus I am gradually learning more about what the Registry is, because "Registry Healer" gives me easy access to "regedit".

Of course I remain wary - as anyone should - but occasions have arisen when something needs to be changed.

I have tried other registry programs and have foung them all lacking - except for "Registry Healer", which has never caused a single problem.

Collapse -
by Willy / October 31, 2004 6:10 PM PST

I use a pgm. called "tuneup ulitlites 2004" which has a registry cleaner. It also contains other pgms. which from its suite allows various actions. The beauty of this pgm. is just using the defaulta and/or slection as it is will do what it says, and do a backup at the same time. While this pgm. is demoware(30 days) you can then buy afterwards. I use the "cleanup & repair" option often and it helps. Upon first used it *may* spot areas that need attention and then await your decision which usually is to proceed with the repair. PLus, the other ulities can proceed to "fine tune" your system. In many ways its like Norton's SystemWorks, but w/o the bloat and generally is faster. check it out: http://www.tune-up.com/

As for RegCleaner v4.3, I use it also. Just use it in the "do them all" selection, under "tools" it does OK.

good luck -----Willy ":)"

Collapse -
by Shirley R / November 1, 2004 2:05 AM PST

Well, many thanks to all of you! With all of your suggestions I should have a clean PC in no time.

Thanks again. Happy

Shirley

Collapse -
by keyhoti / December 2, 2004 9:20 AM PST

Hi Willy,

I also have TuneUp Utilities 2004 and, apart from an error (which they keep promising to fix), I also find this to be a good and very comprehensive program.

However: as I am no expert and tend to rely on other ppls efforts (like TuneUp Utilities) - as regards the "registry" - I find "Registry Healer" the best third-party stuff, having tried others.

I have no reason to delete "TuneUp Utilities" for a lot of reasons, but after I have run its registry functions, if I run "Registry Healer", I can get anything up to 200 corrections ... and after I have OK'd these corrections there is just this subtle "crisp feel" that stuff if loading quicker and so on.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 2, 2004 1:04 AM PST

Hello grandpaw,
I have been using Registry Mechanic for the last three months. It's not free, but I believe it's worth buying. Just because I tend to mess around on the pc deleting or installing things that I know little about, I got into hot water. So just to make sure, today for ex. I compared Mighty Max scanning my registry with 69 results to my Registry Mechanic with 129 results. It is easy to read and very easy to work with. It might be worth checking out.

Collapse -
by hhdawrs / December 2, 2004 6:24 AM PST

Hi Sabina.

Your comparison with PC MightyMax helped me much. My one week MightyMax license just expired and I couldn't tell how much I got for the cost, which is high at 1wk/$29.95, 30 days/$49.95, 365 days/$119.95.

It does a lot of gaudy popping up while doing it's thing, but sorta like a snake oil salesman. Shall I fax you the $119.95 you saved me (less $29.95 spent) less cost of Registry Mechanic?

Aloha,
Herb

Collapse -
PC Mighty Max is FAKE!
by getsteppin / September 6, 2005 4:02 PM PDT

Most all the 451 ERROR's in the report after I ran the first'IMPRESSIVE SCAN' I found a blog in PC GEEKS.com 90% of the blogs about PC Mighty Max were about the programs B.S about 'SEVERE CORRUPTED FILES!!''

I have ERROR NUKER and it found a bunch at the first run of it, so I bought it.
PC Mighty Max, picks up on broken links and tid-bit stuff that as soon as you run the 'key' for $9.95 or $17.95 for 1 week lease, those broken links wont be showing up.
They are still there because part of the sub file sysytm is then masked out from the scans and VIOLA!!....Your PC is 'clean'

Same PC, just runnign with the broken links masked.

IF you will just run 'check disk' and defragnment atleats once a month, you will get better results;-)

cheers.

Collapse -
Gadzooks and what to do
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 1:59 AM PST

In view of Bob Profitt's comment about registry cleaners not being all that beneficial, I am wondering how many of the good experiences were with XP?

One thing that makes me hesitant on this and other programs. People say to be careful. But how does a person "take care" when he has no basis for judging good and evil. Or maybe being careful means don't use the programs till you get your diploma. But I hate to pass up getting rid of stuff I don't need and which slows me down.

How in the world do people judge which registry entries should not be removed? Perhaps by asking on a forum such as this? I've been trying to figure out a way to get five or six years experience in, say, a week or two. So far, no luck.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Gadzooks and what to do
by S Barringer / November 5, 2004 2:41 AM PST

I had the same problem, and solved it by having a techie teach me how to do a maual clean of the registry. It's not hard. You don't need a PhD to do it. Once knowing that, you will have a better knowledge of what the automatic cleaning systems are deleting. It's easier than you think.

Collapse -
Ccleaner
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 2:03 AM PST

As usual, I failed to subscribe to this thread and thus was late learning of the replies. Before learning of them just now, I posted a tread about using CCleaner; I perhaps should have posted it here. If so, I'll add tht to my shoulda list. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Ccleaner
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ccleaner

Well thats a difficult question to answer Grandpaw.

Bob Proffitt was quite right when he said the reg-cleaning has not been such an issue with Windows XP than it was with Windows 95, 98 or ME. With those systems the registry was always very fragile, and could fall over, (crash the system), at the slightest nudge.

Windows XP is much more robust, and I am sure there are many people out there who have never even heard of registry cleaners, but do not seem to have many problems, (apart from viruses, trojans, spyware, Home-Page hacking, worms,......... ).

A lot depends on how you use your machine. If you install a lot of programs, then uninstall them and install others, and so on and so forth, orphan regisrty entries will eventually build up, and as the Windows OS has to work with the registry all the time, there may, after a while, be a slowdown in performance. But then processors are so fast nowadays that any degradation in speed will be negligable.

The fault with orphan registry entires rests with 3rd party programmers. When they develop a program to be installed, they place registry entries all over the place, and very often do not include sufficient information in their uninstall programs to delete them all. Also, programs install files all over windows, especially in the Windows/System, (or Windows/System32 folder), rather than keeping everything in their own program folder, so there are often orphan files spread about Windows folders as well. In addition, if any programs allow users to store data, eg saved games, or documents, templates, etc, these will be left behind after an uninstall.

In my Windows/System32 folder I now have 2032 files, and I started with 1200 or so this time last year when I purchased the computer.

Windows XP does its best with its Uninstall files, but something usually gets left behind.

So, Registry Cleaners do a good job in that they help to keep the registry clean of clutter. Some better than others, and some are easier to use than others, but like Bob says there is not the powerful need for them that there was with previous Windows OS's.

I do use a registry cleaner, but not often. I don't install or uninstall that many programs, so I will only run my cleaner occasionally, once a month, or once every two months or so. Often it will sit there for a few months, unused, and unwanted, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
I think I'll pass on registry cleaners
by grandpaw7 / November 2, 2004 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ccleaner

I already have too much to do with my computer. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Ccleaner
by sabina_2004 / December 2, 2004 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ccleaner

Mark, I am glad I came in to read this. I have to ask a question please: Apart from having the Registry Mechanic I also installed the CCleaner or what they called here the crap cleaner, lol. Which of those two is more practical to keep? I needed the registry mechanic because as you probably know I have installed and uninstalled programs including SP2 and incredimail and now I am uninstalling Kazaa Lite, since I just installed winmx, lol. But now I am confused which one of the two to use? do you have an easy answer for somebody who is hopeless but loves playing around?
sabina. (must run for now, but back later to check in).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.