Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Registry cleaners

by brimes1 / April 21, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

Hi please can anyone tell me are registry cleaners any good at cleaning up the registry? I am using Win xp home edtn and I have downloaded registry mechanic and registry booster. Both states that they can remove errors/faults. However, after removing faults then testing again the same faults are found. Also I did a complete clean of my PC and prior to installing the major files (ie I only put Microsoft 2003 edition and AOL 9) when I downloaded registry I was informed that there was 210+ faults. Is this possible I carried out fdisk and format prior to loading Win xp? I really would like to know would I be throwing my money down the drain is I was top buy one of these products. Hope someone can advise. Many thanks in anticipation. Brian James

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry cleaners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry cleaners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really necessary
by joesmithers06 / April 21, 2006 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry cleaners

Registry "cleaner" programs really aren't needed anymore. Back with Win95 and even Win98, when the registry was still pretty new, there might have been some need. But by this point, the registry really doesn't need to be maintained by a third party program. In fact, it can sometimes create problems to do so.

Collapse -
Not so
by Themisive / April 21, 2006 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really necessary

I respectfully beg to dissagree. The whole idea of a registry cleaner is to clean out bit and peices, such as "orphaned" keys that are not removed through an uninstall.

Most people do not feel very easy about going into the registry in the first place, they are worried - and with reason - that if they delete the wrong key, the whole system will fail on them,

However, I have been using a registry cleaner for some time now, it gives you a list of items, on the one side is the people who wrote that key - OK now and then it says "unkown" here, it also gives you a list of programmes. All you need to do is to trawl this set of listings, and remove the desired key, if it has an undesired effect, no problem, it has stored it, so you can restore it if needed! The price - free!!

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by hpjohn11 / April 21, 2006 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so

I also say not so. Your registry gets clogged with left over pieces of old programs long since deleted. Also, some programs such as Microsoft (especially) when downloaded have many errors as many as fifty. I use www.registryfix.com. It will not harm your computer. Registry Mechanic removed some programs I was using every day. I quickly deleted it off my computer.

Collapse -
RE: registry mechanic
by caktus / April 21, 2006 12:12 PM PDT

No cleaner will catch everything. There may always be problems one but others will not catch.

I use Registry Mechanic Pro and am very happy with it. The Shareware/Trial version only repairs/corrects the first four types of problems listed. I've found it well worth the money and it will probably be very useful long after the update subscription ends.

Collapse -
Free Registry Cleaner
by indigoaven / April 21, 2006 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: registry mechanic

I use RegScrubXP. It's free and is user friendly. Just let it clean your registry. Go to www.sofotex.com/regscrubxp-download_L7528.html Hope this helps.

Collapse -
RE: RegScrubXP
by caktus / April 21, 2006 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Free Registry Cleaner

Use RegScrubXP also. Doesn't come close but does catch a few leftovers RM can miss.

Collapse -
Many of Those Could Be Missing "Help" Files That Only....
by tobeach / April 21, 2006 5:22 PM PDT

install themselves IF you have the Program they come with. Think of them as empty wall sockets. Not needed 'til you have something to plug-in(Example MS Office). Then you'll want them there.
One Mans' Opinion Only: AOL9 (or any other version)could be a source of many of those "problems" found. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Regular cleaning/repair can deffinately make a differen
by caktus / April 21, 2006 11:46 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?