Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Registry Cleaners

Dec 8, 2005 7:49AM PST

Who makes the best registry cleaner and are they actually safe to use?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
they all can screw it up
Dec 8, 2005 8:30AM PST

if your comps working fine leave it alone

- Collapse -
tstailey.
Dec 8, 2005 9:45AM PST

As Mark mentioned they can be hazardous to a computers health. And I can personally testify to that. The safest I've used (and often use) is Registry Mechanic? for Windows.

The free version barely accomplishes anything at all. But the Pro version definately has made a favoalble improvement on my system, especially the first time I ran it.

It also compacts the registry and can be set to create backups and System Restore Points.

- Collapse -
Best registry Cleaner

I personally use Registry Easy, but it is not free. If you really need a good free one go with CCleaner. If you want to read more detailed reviews on registry cleaners go to http://registrycleanerreviews.weebly.com

- Collapse -
registry
Feb 16, 2009 8:06PM PST

I have used free version of Registry First Aid - the scan on it removes loads of registry entries and makes a big improvement but also it is a dangerous program for a novice like me because one can remove necessary entries easily and spoil the installation of windows
Ian