Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Registry Cleaner - To Search For Specific Name ONLY

by caxtin1 / May 3, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

I will try and explain what I am referring to as much as I can use my English language. I will give a senario here to make it clearer.

Say my goal is to uninstall SKYPE from my system and reinstall it. I used the ADD REMOVE PROGRAM to remove Skype from my system, deleted the Skype residual folder from my "C:\Program Files\Skype", then I would like to clean up my registry of any reference of "SKYPE" in it. Normally, I use the FIND function, and delete any "SKYPE" reference I might find and use the F3 key to search for more. I have to do this as long as the "FIND" is still finding more. I remember doing this for an application that took me up to twenty minutes to cycle through. With SKYPE I have two references that will not remove even from SAFE MODE. The interesting thing is that the two lines are at the "FAVORITE" folder, which I was able to delete from my drive normally, but won't delete from the registry.

My question is, which of the utilities out there can search the registry for a specified name ONLY. Most of them searches the registry and finds many other files that should be deleted, most of these files I don't know what they are. I feel the software companies are trying to promote their applications to show how much "junk" the software can really find in your registry.

I will like to use a utility to search for, say "SKYPE" and only see references of "SKYPE" only in the window.

I have tried some five known utilities and can't remember any one doing what I am looking for. Am I in another world? Am I asking for too much? I would feel by now, with the new technology, there should be something like I am looking for.

Sorry for the long thread.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry Cleaner - To Search For Specific Name ONLY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry Cleaner - To Search For Specific Name ONLY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is, here it is
by mark04276 / May 3, 2007 1:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now I Remember
by caxtin1 / May 3, 2007 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: There is, here it is

Sometime last yeat, it was Nero I was trying to clean up from my registry when I almost got my fingers crooked from hitting F3 and DELETE ENTER keys. It was a PITA. The Nero cleanup utility would not remove everything, I had to give up. I will try this utility you sent me to search for something in my registry when I get home this evening. Thanks and I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Careful using this
by mark04276 / May 3, 2007 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Now I Remember

cause you will want to search Nero which is fine but also Ahead (company name that makes Nero) but not all the Ahead entries are from Nero. You will be able to see and choose the right ones easily though.

Collapse -
This Is What I Am Looking For . . . But Found An Issue . . .
by caxtin1 / May 5, 2007 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: There is, here it is

I tried the utility. It was able to search and find the word in the Keyword window. However, when I deleted some found strings, a few will be deleted and they will be back again. I will look into the utility much more - maybe I was missing something.

Collapse -
Sorry but I never found such either but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 1:57 AM PDT

You didn't tell how you dealt with the ownership or permissions in registry keys. That may be why you didn't delete them.

Bob

Collapse -
As An Administrator?
by caxtin1 / May 3, 2007 2:11 AM PDT

When you say "OWENERSHIP", I don't really understand. Well, I have have administrative right in my log and I even logged in as the main Administrator, to no avail. Maybe I am just too picky.

Collapse -
Ahh that's it. Even the administrator can't delete...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: As An Administrator?

A key or file unless the permissions are proper. It seems to confuse many that because they are the administrator that the delete doesn't work.

Now all you need to do is to right click on the key or it's parent key to see the properties, ownership and such.

You are on the verge of learning something very important.

Bob

Collapse -
Will Keep You Posted
by caxtin1 / May 3, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

I will try to look for the ownership when I get home in the evening.
Will keep you posted. Now you got me curious. Thanks

Collapse -
This Is My Findings
by caxtin1 / May 5, 2007 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Will Keep You Posted

When logged in as an administrator, I viewed the properties(Right-Click)of the file, these are what I found:

Full control, Read, Special Permissions, Allow, Deny.

All the above properties have their boxes unchecked, which would have given me the pervission to delete it. When I checked other files I do not want to delete, I could get boxes with either checked or unchecked box.

I don't know what else to do to be able to remove and "difficult" file.

Collapse -
Go up one level.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: This Is My Findings

The item just above the key you are looking at may need just a little tweak.

Also, some keys I have to work on from safe mode or even safe mode command prompt.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?