Computer Help forum

General discussion

Registry cleaner programs

by audreycharlize / May 12, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

Do I really need one? I heard you can damage your computer.

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry cleaner programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry cleaner programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Forgot to add I have Vista
by audreycharlize / May 12, 2009 1:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
In addition
by ZoeButton55 / May 12, 2009 6:27 PM PDT

I use Vista and the free version of glary utilities. And there I find the website of free version for you.

<a href="http://www.glaryutilities.com">http://www.glaryutilities.com</a>

Collapse -
I think such programs really work.
by ZoeButton55 / May 12, 2009 6:22 PM PDT

I don't know what's the situation when people say Registry cleaner programs damages comp. I am now using Glary Utilities for Registry Cleaning. Of course, I use it for many other functions too.
I never found a problem after Registry cleaning with it. I think it really works. I feel my PC clean without so many junk files.

Collapse -
Re: junk files
by Kees Bakker / May 12, 2009 6:40 PM PDT

The registry consists of 5 files, none of them is junk and none of them is deleted by a reg cleaner. So your feeling your PC clean without so many junk files can't be related to registry cleaning at all.

Kees

Collapse -
those files left by uninstalled program
by ZoeButton55 / May 12, 2009 6:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: junk files

It says it can clean away the registry files left by uninstalled programs. That's what I mean junk.

Collapse -
Those aren't files.
by Kees Bakker / May 12, 2009 6:54 PM PDT

It are records or lines or entries (or whatever you like to call them) in one of the 5 files that together are the registry. And did you ever check if they were in fact removed?

Kees

Collapse -
?
by ZoeButton55 / May 12, 2009 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Those aren't files.

when I uninstall a program, I just want to remove all of its related files of entries as you call. I like trying little different programs. If I don't do this, PC may be choked by those entries as you called, which will not be used any more .

Collapse -
All I wanted to say ...
by Kees Bakker / May 12, 2009 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: ?

is that you were using the wrong terminology. A file is something else as a record. You might find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry an interesting read.

It won't harm, of course, to delete 'things' that aren't used any more.

Still, did you ever check if this cleaner removed 'things' from the registry related to an uninstalled program that the official uninstaller left floating around? Or are you just believing their promotion talk?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ZoeButton55 / May 12, 2009 7:27 PM PDT

I don't know what to say. But I have been using this Program for a time. Maybe you are right.
Thanks a lot for your link. I am going to check it carefully.

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / May 12, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

No, these programs are NOT needed. Outside of a malware remover, there is no need for a registry cleaner program. When they work "as advertised" they offer no appreciable benefit. Most of the time however, they're prone to creating problems where none existed previously.

Until any of these companies/individuals putting out these programs is willing to outline EXACTLY the criteria by which the program selects things for deletion from the registry, I consider them all scams.

Collapse -
use some good cleaner
by suziMurr / October 7, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

I need my cleaner every day. It cleans Windows registry and also all my unnecessary browser files and bad registry keys. I have Mil Shield and it answers of all my needs - cleans amazingly good!

Collapse -
Registry cleaner
by zmatt / October 7, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

Although Registry cleaners don't do much in the real scheme of things they do provide a purpose and that is to clean garbage,bad file extensions and unnecessary crap which can slow a processor down.

They also can cause problems that's why they have the restore option on the software. i use a registry cleaner fairly regularly.
but i think it's the better of two evils to do so.

Collapse -
No, they don't
by Jimmy Greystone / October 7, 2009 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Registry cleaner

No, they really don't. Those extra bits left floating around the registry really DON'T slow anything down at all. They might have a ONE TIME performance hit at bootup, but we're talking something on the order of probably 5-6 nanoseconds.

The only time some extra bit in the registry could possibly cause some kind of problem, is if it's accessed. However, if it's just leftover junk, that will generally never happen.

Pretty much everyone who uses a registry cleaner would probably just be better off forgetting that they ever heard of the registry. They tend to have these absolutely ridiculous ideas about what the registry is and what it does, bordering on the superstitious. At some point, I half expect to see people setting up sacrificial alters to the Windows registry any time now.

Collapse -
registry
by zmatt / October 7, 2009 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: No, they don't

Well OK then, however i learn by event, and sometimes these bits are accessed, reason being after installing a unsaid registry cleaner
my machine went from dead to normal....
It could have been a coincidence but it did cut the cure...
and has shown to help on other occasions also..I am not sold on them but i did see some positive experiences with no sacrificial alters.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.