Windows Legacy OS forum

Registering win xp

by Shepbob / February 5, 2014 7:39 AM PST

Hp Pavilion 533W
Win XP Home
All of a sudden when I log on a window pops up and says" Microsoft requires the operating system needs to be Activated" Yes - No
Does not make any difference which I choose a screen pops us and says this copy has already been activated.
Any suggestions on what to do besides re installing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registering win xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registering win xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Reinstalling may not fix this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Registering win xp

The story is a little unclear. If it's the issued HP OS then reinstalling might fix it. However with the end of XP looming you must cure this fast.

Other causes are those rather horrible but well meaning techs that installed some "Blue" version of XP. Called by many names such as Blue, Technician's version, Black and such these do fail like this and can cost the owner far more later.

Collapse -
Clarification request
by Shepbob / February 5, 2014 8:17 AM PST

Thanks Bob.
I had origionaly installed the OP from a legal disk. As I clean up old computer to donate to needy families
and I was ready to disperse this one when it suddenly went into this loop bot in regular boot and safe mode boot.

Collapse -
All disks are LEGAL!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification request

It's the license that bites back. At I can't guess what's going on except it's not the OS that came with the PC then it's likely that it's another one of those "LEGAL" CD issues.

OK, are we going to have to guess where this LEGAL CD came from?

Collapse -
All Disk are Legal
by Shepbob / February 5, 2014 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: All disks are LEGAL!

You bring up a good point. It was given to me from a person that supposedly gets multiple disks from Microsoft for testing. Who knows??

Collapse -
Sounds like that Volume License
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: All Disk are Legal

Those are revoked as folk share them. Again, all the CDs are legal but the keys are revoked as need be.

To finish this, if you are in the right, Microsoft will issue you a replacement key. There is never an issue here.

Collapse -
Sounds like that Volume License
by Shepbob / February 5, 2014 9:19 AM PST

The only thing that seems odd is this machine has never been on the internet.
Case closed. Thanks again Bob

Collapse -
Sorry but there is a date limit too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 9:29 AM PST

You can research that further if need be. But again, a legal valid XP CD with a VLK is never an issue. Microsoft will hand legitimate owners a new key for a short time. That time is closing as XP fades away.

Collapse -
Put Linux on it
by James Denison / February 5, 2014 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification request

Favorites are Mint, Ubuntu, Mageia. Visit and learn more about all versions of Linux. Heck, you can even make it look like windows XP if desired, LOL. A real fun trick is to make a screen shot of a windows XP desktop and then set it as background on Linux desktop and watch the fun begin. Good for laughs on a slow day with the unsuspecting. See how long it takes them to realize they aren't in Kansas anymore (or should that be Redmond?)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?