Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Registering/login To Website Problems

by tissueeee / October 26, 2004 1:37 AM PDT

i had trouble registering as a member or logging into certain websites.
an example would be http://www.nature.com/ or www.studentcents.co.uk

they either make me fill up my details all over again or say my password do not match, although i have tried logging in using a friend's pc and it works.

is it a browser setting prob? or pc settings? or are there codes on my pc?
browser setting i have changed to default, and i have lavasoft and ad-aware (just uninstalled) and norton antivirus.

please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registering/login To Website Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registering/login To Website Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Registering/login To Website Problems
by Coryphaeus / October 26, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

Sites such as those need to set a cookie on your PC. How are your cookie settings configured? You need to allow them if they're blocked.

Collapse -
by tissueeee / October 26, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

but all cookies have been enabled.

Collapse -
Is there a ''www.nature.txt'' file in cookies?
by Cursorcowboy / October 27, 2004 1:39 AM PDT

1. Access the site and check -- should have a date and time of the approximate access.

2. Either shutdown the computer and check again if the file is in the Cookies folder before accessing the Internet.

3. Else, wait until the next day if you shutdown the computer at night and check whether the Cookie is still there before doing anything else.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 4:20 AM PDT

Tissueee,

Please give us a little more information about your computer. The operating system, the browser that you're using and it's EXACT version, plus any EXACT error messages you are receiving would sure help. Are you using Windows XP SP2? It has a pop up blocker which can stop some types of log on screens. (Disable it while in Internet Explorer by clicking on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Pop-Up Blocker", select "Turn Off Pop-Up Blocker".) Make sure to disable any other pop up blockers that you might have installed. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

The browser type and versions is important.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by tissueeee / October 26, 2004 8:15 AM PDT

the OS is microsoft windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 1.
internet explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422.1633

for www.nature.com, my problem is that i cannot register. they make me fill in fields again (indicated in red) when i try to submit my registration details. no such problem when i registered with a fren's pc.

www.studentcents.co.uk problem is that i cannot login into the site. says my email and password do not match although i m absolutely positive that they do.

i tried uninstalling my pop up blockers like ad-aware, spybot and norton, no use.

thanks

wei

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

Tissueee,

Spybot, Ad-Aware and Norton aren't "pop up blockers", although you're Norton program may contain one. Make sure to reinstall all of those programs and use them.

Check this and make changes if necessary:

Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll to the "Security" section at the bottom and UNCHECK the box next to "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed". Click on "Apply" if you've made any changes.

Next, click on the "Content" tab, then click on the "Autocomplete" button. On the next screen, place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Forms" and "User names and passwords on forms". Now click on OK, then OK again.

Now, just for good measure, please download and install the most recent version of Microsoft's Scripting Engine which could be causing the issue. Here's a link to the download site.

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by tissueeee / October 27, 2004 1:30 AM PDT

Did all u that u mentioned, grif

but no avail.
thanks anyway

Collapse -
Next Step To Try....Another Browser
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2004 1:35 AM PDT

Although you can keep Internet Explorer as the default, try downloading and installing the "Firefox" browser from the link below. Visit the sites with the new browser and see if it works for you. I use it frequently for surfing and like it. It's free and can be downloaded from the link below. There are other browsers available if you would like to try them. This is just a small download and is usually easy to install and use. It's your choice. :

Firefox Download Link

Hope this helps.

Grif

Grif

Collapse -
''IEFix''
by Cursorcowboy / October 27, 2004 1:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you ''queried'' either site master?
by Cursorcowboy / October 27, 2004 1:46 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?