Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open

Help... None of these windows stay open long enough to determine if there is anything conflicting. I have run Spybot; Ad-aware and Norton Anti-Virus 2004(def 8/4/04) with no issues found.
Any suggestions....
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open

In reply to: Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Regedit; msconfig & Task Mgr windows won't stay open

I tried Cwshredder -- said my system was clean. I am running Win Xp Pro with all the latest security updates. Thx

Collapse -
Did you try all the tools?

Some will pass up on HOUSECALL and find they have a virus/trojan still.

Bob

Collapse -

If I rename the files -- they open.

Collapse -
That's a known bug.

You should hit the Security Forum with what Tasks (tasklist) and Services you have running. You may have a new pest. I think your machine does.

Can you reveal if your computer has some bad habits such as P2P or uses Internet Explorer?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's a known bug.

In reply to: That's a known bug.

I am using IE 6.0.2800 with all the latest MS patches. Everything else seems to be running fine.
Thx.

Collapse -
Just noting, you have to reveal all.

If you've been in the SERVICES control panel, some forget to tell the forum and I won't guess you disabled some RPC service.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just noting, you have to reveal all.

In reply to: Just noting, you have to reveal all.

Have not been in Control Panel or changed Services. I am running Housecall (Trend Micro) now but don't expect it to find anything.
Another board suggested I look for the file wuaumqr.exe as a potential worm -- but that is not present either.
Thx.

Collapse -
The other is a rogue explorer.exe.

In reply to: Re: Just noting, you have to reveal all.

If you find multiples, find which is the real one.

Bob

Collapse -
I have the same problem!

In reply to: The other is a rogue explorer.exe.

I contacted MS and they said that it is a virus that changes your registry. I cannot go to task manager, regedit or msconfig!

Housecall, cwshredder, spybot search and destroy, Smantec-Norton, and Macafee all helped. I had 4 worms and 1 virus!

I did not update my live updater in Norton to the latest version. You must update that to get the lastest updates.

I am still infected with KLEENVALUE (euniverse) Virus. I also have w32/sdbot.worm.gen.i (c:\windows\system32\aolmesngr.exe)
This happens by clicking on links listed in peoples profiles on AIM buddy lists! TROJAN

MS said that this worm changes the names of files and renames itself throughout your computer. I found many pages on how to clean up your registry but none that will help me get to safe mode. Without that I am stuck. Please help!

Collapse -
Re: I have the same problem!

In reply to: I have the same problem!

I can get to Safe Mode -- but all Virus scanners and spyware programs say my system is clean. I have the latest Norton definitions (8/4) -- so I can't understand where the problem is....

Collapse -
Did you?

In reply to: Re: I have the same problem!

My advice is to take this, along with the outputs of TASKLIST and TASLIST /SVC to the Security Forum. The bug is known, but they live for this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Did you?

In reply to: Did you?

Thanks Bob! I am a newbie here please explain.

Snookie

Collapse -
How to get TASKLIST output.

In reply to: Re: Did you?

Open a command window. Either by the Start menu or by Start, Run, CMD and press Enter.

Type Tasklist and press enter. Copy/paste that into a post.

Same for TASKLIST /SVC (there's a space in there.)

Without this, the Security Forum won't have a view into what's running.

Bob

Collapse -
That does not work either!

In reply to: How to get TASKLIST output.

That does not work for me either, unless I typed it wrong? Here is what I got;

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Snookie>TASKLIST /SVC
'TASKLIST' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Snookie>

Collapse -
Re: That does not work either!

In reply to: That does not work either!

Collapse -
Re: How to get TASKLIST output.

In reply to: How to get TASKLIST output.

Hey Bob,

I tried your steps on my xp/home and the error in that DOS window says:

'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I don't have these problems mentioned in this particular discussion, was just curious to see the output. I tried this in the root directory of 'C'. Is that the problem?

Collapse -
Re: How to get TASKLIST output.

In reply to: Re: How to get TASKLIST output.

Collapse -

The worm that changes its name and will not appear in scans is called;

kleenvalue, euniverse or updater

IRC-SDBOT TROJAN CODE

It came up once in my Norton and I never saw it again!

I asked MS about that too. My case is not closed. I just have to wait until Monday to call. I am am hooked here.....bugging me literally!

Collapse -

I want to thank everyone for thier help! My computer is now fixed! MacAfee's "STINGER" fixed all my problems! (Stinger is a free download)

The only thing more that I had to do was to delete my XP profile and create a new one. I changed some names of files b4 I did this, un-installed a few things and re-loaded others.

Collapse -

Don't panic I experienced the same thing - drove me crazy. My PC was hijacked and so is yours! This disturbed me because I always update my virus scan, run ad-aware, spybot etc. but yet it happened. Anyway, there is a supreme website called Tweakxp.com. They have a forum called "hijack this logs". It is very important that you read the first few messages in this log before posting.

These guys were, talented, responsive and results oriented. Within 2 days, it was corrected. No problems since.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.