Computer Help forum

General discussion

regedit

by rodotx / October 12, 2010 7:52 PM PDT

I did something.
In regedit, HKEY_USER\Software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings\zone map
I deleted "Domains" and the one under it.
Now I want to get it back.
It was all because I wanted to get rid of all that trash that Spybot search & destroy put in there.
Could someone tell me how to fix this?
I am not the first man that had a few beers while working on his computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: regedit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: regedit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Didn't you export it before deleting?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: regedit
Collapse -
oh dear
by rodotx / October 12, 2010 8:29 PM PDT

No, I don't know what export means. Look, I just know when something is wrong I kill it. However, I feel I may have done the wrong thing. I am thinking of wiping my computer, but this is a hard road. Is there a way that I can get "domains....and the other one, back?

Collapse -
Re: domains
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: oh dear

- Find another PC with (preferably) the same OS as yours.
- Go into regedit
- Find that key
- From the menu do File>Export. The contents will come in a file.
- Be SURE to not mess-up the registry of that PC also. Don't change anything.
- Put that file on your USB-stick.
- Go back to your PC
- Go into regedit
- From the menu do File>Import.
- Browse to that file on your USB-stick.
- OK and so on

That should be all.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks
by rodotx / October 14, 2010 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: domains

Kees, thank you. I can see that that would work.
I took some advice from Tufenuf, which sorted my problem.
Good luck on your new server.

Collapse -
Hi
by rodotx / October 14, 2010 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Thank you. In the meantime, I have reinstalled Spybot Search&Destroy, and updated it. I have also reinstalled RUbotted. I then uninstalled both of those programs, and they uninstalled successfully. Now I want to know how to delete all traces of these programs. In fact, I have found that when you uninstall something, it really isn't gone. Allbeit I entertain erasing programs, I see that things can reappear, ie: using system restore. I wonder, is there really a way to erase things off a computer?
It seems to me, that, that which is entered onto a computer, is there to stay. Regardless of wiping, erasing, uninstalling, quick of hand, smoke or mirrors....it remains.
Does deleting things in Registry, help at all?

Collapse -
Re: deleting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 5:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi

1. System Restore is meant to undo accidental updates and deletes. So it's good things stay there until you decide YOURSELF to clear it. That can be done in 2 ways:
- From the disk cleanup wizard, advanced options: clear all but the latest system restore point.
- By disabling SR and enabling it again.
2. Deleting things from the registry deletes them from the registry. You could considering that 'helping', although it's not sure against what it helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: regedit
by Tufenuf / October 13, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

rodotx, Which version of Windows are you using? Try a System Restore to the closest date prior to when you edited the registry.

Tufenuf

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem

Collapse -
O.K.
by rodotx / October 14, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: regedit

Yes, I did that. I got my stuff back. Thank you. You did help. Bummer, but. The system restore renamed the two programs that I had uninstalled: (Spybot search & destroy, and RUBotted) I now can not run the uninstall program on those 2 programs. I want to get rid of them. Tell me this,....If I open their thing, and one by one, I delete every part....will that get rid of the program? And , in "registry" if I delete the entry of those programs, will they be gone forever?
I am using Win XP Pro. 503 RAM

Collapse -
added
by rodotx / October 14, 2010 5:22 PM PDT

In Registry Editor:
HKEY_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zonemap\Domains
I have a whole lot of trash that Spybot Search & Destroy put in there.
I want to get rid of it.
I have uninstalled S&D.
How can I do it?

Collapse -
You seem to be ashamed of showing all of the specs of that
by LucJPatenaude / October 14, 2010 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: added

machine of yours. You must have at least 512Mb of RAM, not 503Mb(it is impossible to get to such amount of RAM anyway).

Get rid of that ancient and shameful machine and, get yourself a new one that has Win.7 x86/32bit O.S. onto it as a pre-install. That way, you will, still, be able to re-install those games and other programs that you cherish so much.

Then, go to IObit.com and download + install their free version of Advanced SystemCare. Get their latest in definitions, check all there is in tune-up options, click Care. Watch it scan your newest machine and fix everything automatically.

No programs are designed to help you on XP-Pro of 2001. No programmers are, ever, interested at doing anything for such ancient O.S. Plus, this O.S. and it Service Packs will turn 10 years old as of next year(2001-2011).

Good Luck in your fixing endeavours!

Collapse -
Did you know that ....
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 10:57 PM PDT

more than 50% of all PC+Mac's are still using XP, according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Nothing shameful about that. At work, we all use XP. At school, it's all XP. At home, I've got 2 XP-machines (+ one too old Windows 98 one), no Vista, no Windows 7.

And I don't think the S&D/registry issue of the XP has anything to do with having 512 MB RAM.

Kees

Collapse -
What if my workplace could become XPless?
by LucJPatenaude / October 14, 2010 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you know that ....

I work at a mere gas station. And, the franchiser is seriously considering upgrading its whole network of terminals and pumps' computer boards.

What if, they are all becoming Vista machines with way better response times and, a way better terminal interface for transaction completion and pump control panel?

Remember, this is a mere gas station site, not an office building nor a large surface sized retail store.

See, where I am getting at, here? I strongly do hope so, buddy.
Wink

Collapse -
no, not at all.
by rodotx / October 18, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

I like XP. I like old computers. I enjoy the muse.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?