Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

regedit 32,can't delete

by tomron / June 24, 2006 4:32 AM PDT

I'm trying to delete certain entries.everytime I try it says access denied.

I tried,Security permission to Everyone and delete,to no avail

I tried aministrator,to no avail,assuming that I'm doing it right.

Thanx,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: regedit 32,can't delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: regedit 32,can't delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Also am unable to delete "VSDATANT'in registry
by tomron / June 24, 2006 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
vsdatant.sys = part of ZoneAlarm
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 24, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

Hi Tom,

do you want to uninstall ZoneAlarm?

Collapse -
Hi Marianna
by tomron / June 24, 2006 9:04 AM PDT

What happend is I was trying different settings in ZA,but was unable to return to default.I removed ZA and reinstalled figuring it would return to normal.

When reinstalled it did seem to have issues,such as taking forever to load and eventually it just would not load at all.Then a box appeared saying true vector not working or words to that affect.

Heres the LINK that i'm using.

Tom

Collapse -
Try. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 24, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

just regedit. Before you continue, make a backup of the registry.

Hopefully you know what you're doing because an error here will cause the PC to be unusable. The only fix is a full and complete reinstall of the OS and all programs if you didn't make a backup.

Collapse -
registry
by tomron / June 24, 2006 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Try. . .

ZoneAlarm Pro
Zone Labs
minilog
InternetAlert
ZAMailSafe and all sub-keys.
zapro.exe
VSMON

with the exception of "VSDATANT",not able to delete it.

heres the LINK i'm using.

Tom

Collapse -
Tom try ''regedt'' instead of ''regedit'' if you're using 2K
by Carol~ Moderator / June 24, 2006 9:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) According to the link,it says also to use regedt32
by tomron / June 24, 2006 12:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
My point exactly. Your original post said ''regedit32''
by Carol~ Moderator / June 24, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

with an ''i'' in it, instead of regedt32 without it, which is what I thought you would use for Windows 2000. I thought it might have been an oversight on your part. Additionally, it's what is in the MS article. You know your system better than I would, if you've had success using regedit32, by all means continue using it. My mistake.

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I see what you mean,it's my mistake
by tomron / June 24, 2006 1:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tomron, To Delete Vsdatant In Regedt32..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 10:14 AM PDT

Remember, you'll only need to delete the "LEGACY" entries while in "regedt32". Other than that, listings for "vsdatant" should be removable. And if you want to actually access the "SEcurity" tab, you'll need to restart the computer into Safe Mode. The "Security" tab isn't available in XP HOME while in normal Windows. Still, you should be able to change the permissions in normal Windows. Try it this way.

Restart the computer into Safe Mode, then click on Start-Run, type: "regedt32", then click on OK. Now navigate to each of the paths below and change their permissions like this:

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSMON
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSDATANT

HKLM\System\ControlSet002\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSMON
HKLM\System\ControlSet002\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSDATANT

Once you access the "LEGACY_VSDATANT" folder, in XP HOME, RIGHT click directly on the "LEGACY_VSDATANT" folder, choose "Permissions". When the "Security" window opens, click on the "Everyone" listing, (or ADD it if it's not there) then place a CHECK mark in the "Full Control" box under the "Allow" column, then click on Apply, then OK.

You should now be able to delete the entire folder/key by RIGHT clicking on the folder, choose "Delete".

If you still can't delete the entry, then you'll need to restart into Safe Mode and perform similar procedures except that you should now see a "Security" tab which will allow you to change the permissions in much the same way.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have 2K and ControlSet002 is not there
by tomron / June 24, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
One more note
by tomron / June 24, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

In Device Manager,i did not uninstall VSDATANT,cause when i tried a warning poped up and i was not sure if it was ok.

Is this safe to deletethe,hidden license file in C:\WINDOWS\system32 called 'zllictbl.dat"

Point being is it safe to follow the instructions in the link i provided and when done will i be able to reinstall ZA?

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, I've Used Similar Instructions Before
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: One more note

...and it included the ''zllictbl.dat'' file. It did NOT include removing VSDATANT from the Device Manager. I've never had to do that.

I'll list the instructions that I've used before..There are number of items that are in my instructions which aren't included in the link you provided, primarily, cleaning out the C\Windows\Prefetch folder.. Here are the instructions I've used a number of times and it seems to work here..

Complete Manual Uninstall Instructions For ZoneAlarm

Be sure to install from an account with Administrative privileges, if your OS supports them.
Please do the following. If any of the steps below do not apply to you, or you are unable to perform the function listed, please CONTINUE to the next step.
Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the OVERVIEW -> PREFERENCES tab, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked. Close the program, then right-click on the ZA icon and select Shutdown.
REBOOT.
You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.
Now click Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to the security check.

WARNING - Do NOT run the ZoneAlarm Uninstall program while in Safe Mode unless absolutely necessary. The program may not be able to make the proper registry changes in Safe Mode, thus generating errors after a reboot.
REBOOT.

To make sure that you can see the ZoneAlarm system files, if they are still on your computer:
a. Right-click on Start, then left-click on Explore. When the Windows Explorer panel appears:

- In Windows 95, 98, 98SE: Click View -> Options (in Windows 98/98SE, this will be called ''Folder Options''). Click the ''View'' tab, then click the ''Show all files'' radio button.

- In Windows ME, XP, 2000: Click Tools -> Folder Options. Click the ''View'' tab, then click the ''Show hidden files and folders'' radio button.

b. Make sure you also UNcheck the box to ''Hide Protected Operating System Files'' if you have one.
c. When searching, be sure it searches ALL hidden files and folders (in XP: check Advanced search settings)
d. Click OK.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Making modifications to system files may disable crucial functions of your Windows operating system. We strongly suggest re-enabling the ''Hide files and folders'' feature once all ZoneAlarm files have been removed.
Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C Happy or All Local Drives.

Type the following exactly and delete the folder:
zonelabs (under your SYSTEM or SYSTEM32 folder)
''zone labs'' (under your Program Files folder)
''Internet logs'' (under your Windows or WINNT folder)

Type the following exactly - delete files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, in your \Temp folder, or in the Windows ''Pre-Fetch'' folder):

vsconfig.xml
vsdata.dll
vsdata95.vxd
vsdatant.sys
vsmon.*
vsmonapi.dll
vsnetutils.dll
vspubapi.dll
zaplus.*
zapro.*
zllictbl.dat
zlparser.dll
zonealarm.exe
zoneband.dll
vsinit.dll
vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
REBOOT
NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, removing the files in Safe Mode will allow you to delete the files properly. Click Start, Help, and search for ''SAFE MODE'' for information specific to your system.
Now you should be able to get a clean install of the new version. Be sure to NOT use the old settings as this can cause further difficulties if the database is corrupt.

Chiawaikian?s Secondary File and Registry Clean Up For ZoneAlarm

Ok, here's something that requires some meddling with the registry. Please do a back-up of your registry now before we even start. Edit the registry at your own risk.

Delete if still existant:
1) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Zone Labs
2) C:\Program Files\Zone Labs
3) C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs (Empty Contents)
4) C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Zone Labs
5) C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm (pro)
6) C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsdata.dll
7) C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsdatant.sys
Cool C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsmonapi.dll
9) C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsnetutils.dll
10) C:\WINDOWS\System32\vspubapi.dll
11) C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsutil.dll
12) C:\WINDOWS\System32\Zone Labs
13) C:\WINDOWS\Temp (Empty Contents)

Go to Start > Run and type regedit.
You are now in the registry editor.
Hit F3 and delete:
14) Zone Alarm
15) ZoneAlarm
16) ZoneAlarm Pro
17) Zone Labs
18) minilog
19) InternetAlert
20) ZAMailSafe and all sub-keys.
21) zapro.exe
22) VSMON
23) VSDATANT

24) Go back to Run and type regedt32. Give full 'Security' permission to 'Everyone' and delete:
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSMON
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSDATANT

25) AND,

HKLM\System\ControlSet002\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSMON
HKLM\System\ControlSet002\enum\Root\LEGACY_VSDATANT

Verify to ensure the above has removed all these keys from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\XXXXXX

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZoneAlarm Pro

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\minilog

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by tomron / June 24, 2006 4:29 PM PDT

Theres an option to backup in the registry,but was unable to find an option in regedt32,did i miss it.

Tom

Collapse -
Regedt32 only used to export a registry key before you edit
by prpfeif / June 25, 2006 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif

not for exporting an entire registry hive. To back up a whole registry hive or the whole registry on your system, you need to use the Backup utility.

HTH

Collapse -
I understand...
by tomron / June 25, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

my objective was not to backup the whole registry.I figured if need be just an entry (value).I did not see away to accomplish this in regedt32.

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Backup Regedt32 Settings..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 25, 2006 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I understand...

..much like you do "regedit". (Not on W2000 here so I can't check but on this Windows XP, the method below works fine.)

Open "regedt32", then make sure you've clicked on "My Computer" in the Registry Editor window to highlight it. Now click on "File", choose "Export", then confirm the location where you're going to save the .reg file, then give it a name (I usually use "backup"), then click on the "Save" button. The "backup.reg" file will be saved to the appointed location and can be double-clicked on in case you make some registry edits you don't like.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Much appreciated.
by tomron / June 25, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Reinstalled ZA,thanx everyone
by tomron / June 24, 2006 4:27 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?