Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Regcure optimisation program

by gardener60 / December 23, 2008 4:52 PM PST

Recently purchased regcure but to test it I ran it consecutively 3 times and got errors found 214 cleaned 428 then errors found 66 cleaned 66 then errors found 18 cleaned 18.Iwould have expected zero results after first scan.Is this program genuine or not?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regcure optimisation program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regcure optimisation program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They're all scams
by Jimmy Greystone / December 23, 2008 5:04 PM PST

They're all scams. I have yet to see a single program clearly outline exactly what is considered an "error" and what steps are taken to correct this "error". Until I see that, I consider all of them to be nothing but pretty report generators. They simply generate a report with some fictitious number of problems corrected to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There is no need for registry cleaners/fixers. If a program leaves behind bits of itself in the registry, it isn't going to hurt anything. It's just some orphaned bit of data that will collect virtual dust. Space savings reclaimed by removing such entries is measured in bytes, and is thus wholly insignificant.

You are unlikely to see the money you paid ever again, so just chalk it up as the price of your education in this matter. Always remember that truth in advertising laws are rarely enforced, especially against tiny little software outfits, so it's up to YOU to properly vet their claims if you want to avoid being scammed.

Collapse -
Are there any honest people left?
by gardener60 / December 23, 2008 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: They're all scams

In that case isnt the entire internet a scam every site is in it for the money? There must be some genuinely philanthropic sites out there whose only aim is to help or am I being naive?.

Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2008 1:12 AM PST

No, but it gets to be increasingly rare as corporations and just greedy individuals come to recognize more and more the potential the Internet represents.

It used to be that sites like ebay and craigslist were places where two people could come together for a transaction that made both parties happy. Now they're both overrun with people posting fake ads, trying to scam people, useless crap like that. Spyware and malware used to be unheard of, but now it's big business for small time outfits all the way up to Russian mobsters. Even governments are alleged to be using it as a cheap form of computer espionage.

Right now, think of the Internet kind of like the American "Wild West". The age of innocence has passed, but we're still in that transitory period where everyone's sitting around scratching their heads figuring out how to properly regulate this beast. And just like during the close of the 19th century, you have your patent medicines in the form of programs like registry cleaners and defragmenters that do little to nothing, despite making rather boastful claims. I've seen a defragmenter that generates a report where the percentage performance gain to your computer just so happens to be the same figure reported as the fragmentation level. Even the most fervent supporters of defragmenting supporters, if they're honest, will say that performance increases do not scale 1:1 with fragmentation levels. This is also from a company that claims defragmenting reduces or eliminates programs from crashing. How exactly shuffling data around on the physical surface of the computer's hard drive keeps a program from crashing, I have yet to noodle out. Strangely the company is oddly quiet on the specifics of that claim.

The moral of the story here, is that you have to be rather cynical and even a bit paranoid about everything you see on the Internet. You should even be questioning what I say. Learn to use a search engine and do a bit of quick research. Find out what the majority of people seem to think about a given topic, based on a quick sample of 2-3 pages of results from Google for example. It's not a fool proof method, but it WILL cut down on the number of times you get taken for a ride like you did.

Collapse -
What can I say
by gardener60 / December 24, 2008 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: No

If youre right we've bred a monster that panders to human weakness.It was meant to bring us closer together and instead it has driven us further apart.Look on the bright side at least these sites can be challenged even if it involves some effort on your part.My maxim is complain complain complain make yourself as much of a irritant as you can.I have asked regcure for an explanation and if necessary a refund.Wish me luck!

Collapse -
Sadly, Jimmy is right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: What can I say

And let me say first of all I am pleased that you have discounted the post from cjketner. While a clean registry is optimum, it is never going to happen, and as Jimmy says, the registry being just a database of stored information, it rarely matters that there is some useless information there.

The registry is important, and making inappropriate changes to it can render your Operating System unworkable very quickly. In my view it is best left alone unless a user knows what to expect, and has some knowledge of how to backup their registry and recover from a corrupt registry if that happens. Registry optimizers and cleaners are problematical for the unwary, and RegCure itself has been posted about numerous times in these forums and elsewhere on the internet, largely because it claims to find a large number of registry errors, but then you can only fix them if you purchase the full product. That type of behavior is always suspect, in my opinion. Here is just one link about RegCure. it is now nearly 2 years old, but we are still getting similar reports;
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/regcure-c4155.html

Back to Jimmy's post above.

Yes he's cynical, but his comparison of the internet today and the Wild West of yesteryear is an apt one. I've come to respect his views over the years, (if not always his methods of communicating them), and a certain amount of cynicism and paranoia is needed about things on the internet now.

I gave up on eBay and like minded web sites a while ago, because I could see the trends. If you can buy something on an auction site for 50% or less of what you can buy it in the shops, or if you have found an item that is "one of a kind in the world, and available only for $xx", tends to make me think, "if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is too good to be true". I stay away.

I now only purchase from recognized web site stores, usually only where they have brick built counterparts, (Amazon excepted), and even then I am cautious when I visit their sites to make as sure as I can that I am not being "phished". I may pay more, but the added security makes it worth it for me.

However, all is not lost. There are Edens in this new internet world. Forums like these help, and there are genuine communities out there where you can make friends. The internet is also a fantastic resource for information. If you are doing any research or projects, then the internet will help enormously. My own interest is anything to do with space and astronomy, and being able to watch internet TV of things like Shuttle launches and the International Space Station is something I could not have done without the internet.

I wish you luck with your proposed, complain, complain, complain. I am not sure how this proposal will work out. I tend to think that you will, like most of us, end up riding away dodging the bullets, to live another day, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Exactly true
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2008 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: What can I say

Exactly true. Sociologists have been pointing out for quite some time now that, as technology makes it possible for us to be more connected to one another than ever, it's actually driving us further into social isolation.

One of these days I want to get around to finishing it, but I came across an interesting book called Bowling Alone. I forget the author off the top of my head, but it's about the decline of various social programs and clubs starting around the time the TV became popular. Fascinating reading, it's just I always seem to get busy every time I start reading it, and then I forget about it for long periods of time.

In any case, the Internet is really nothing more than the latest iteration on the same basic set of scams people have been running since pre-history. Before the Internet there were telephone scams, and before that there were mail based scams, before that you'd have con artists who'd drift from town to town scamming people. All of those still exist, they've just largely given way to Internet based scams. And some day there will be some new thing that a few people will try to exploit for their own selfish gain. Until we achieve some sort of utopian society where nobody wants for anything, these sorts of things will always exist.

Collapse -
technology and society
by SerengetiValley / December 24, 2008 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Exactly true

Disclaimer: I don't mean to be offensive, so apologies in advance if I end up appearing that way.

".... as technology makes it possible for us to be more connected to one another than ever, it's actually driving us further into social isolation"

That is mostly true only in the western world. I suspect that has something to do with the social structure that existed even before the internet became ubiquitous, namely the fact that western society is centered around the individual 'I'. The internet is only hastening what was already inevitable...the overwhelming predominance of the 'I' over the 'We' and the resultant deterioration in social contact. I doubt the internet is suddenly responsible for the skyrocketing divorce rates in the US or much of the social family problems.

Asian societies are less individual centric, emphasis being placed instead on the 'family' which needs to be supported, and will in turn support you in times of need. This makes technology-induced social isolation less of a problem in developing countries of South and South-East Asia. In these regions, technology and the internet has actually brought people together rather than isolate them. A migrant laborer in Singapore can keep in touch with his family back in Sri Lanka via the internet or cellphone, preserving the familial bond and avoiding social isolation. Unthinkable even a decade ago, but technology has made it all possible. I suspect the same is true in Africa, West Asia, China erc.

Ofcourse, there are pros and cons to both Eastern or Western systems, and it would be a long but interesting discussion, if one were to start it.

Collapse -
Touche
by Jimmy Greystone / December 25, 2008 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: technology and society

Touche is all I can really say. That is indeed a glaring oversight in what I said.

Collapse -
Re: regcure
by Kees Bakker / December 23, 2008 5:04 PM PST

I think it's legit. But just yesterday I removed a spam post linking to it, because it seems to be rather agressively marketed.

I wouldn't advise to use it. But that's the same for all registry cleaners.

Kees

Collapse -
this jimmy guy has no idea what he is saying
by cjketner / December 24, 2008 2:12 AM PST

Cleaning your registry is VERY IMPORTANT. All that build up slows down the most powerful of computers. That "imaginary number" of errors ACTUALLY matters. After the program finds and fixes the errors that is if you paid for the program and you are not running the trial version, it will find new ones that were hidden by the previous errors. Don't listen to people that are only negative and act like the world is out to get them and everyone. People like that are very niave to the world around them.

Collapse -
No I dont buy that
by gardener60 / December 24, 2008 2:27 AM PST

What you say does not correspond to how the registry works if it did you would eventually get zero errors which I have found not to be the case.

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2008 3:33 AM PST

No it doesn't, and if you knew a little bit about how the registry works, you would know better.

The registry is really just a very simple flat file database. End of the day, that's all it is. Something a first year computer science student could probably replicate in an afternoon. It's not very impressive at all.

The registry is a warehouse of sorts for metadata about programs. So settings and configuration values are stored in the registry, which serves as a sort of central location for this sort of thing, as opposed to the old .ini files each program used to maintain.

The only time some bit of info in the registry is ever used, is when some program tries to read it or alter it. Otherwise it's just sitting there, not doing anything. It's not hurting anything any more than it's helping; it just is.

The way the registry is laid out, programs can zero in on their specific information rather quickly. It's not like they're fumbling through a giant rolodex trying to find the card with their information on it. Sure, having excess bits of info in there might occasionally slow things down, but we'd be talking slowdowns measured in nanoseconds, milliseconds in rare instances. All times that the human mind is incapable of truly registering.

And typically the naive are considered to be the people who believe anything people tell them. If anything, I'd be a cynic because I tend to assume people are trying to screw me over. That is the foundation of capitalism after all, when you get past all the flowery nonsense about free enterprise and the invisible hand. It boils down to a battle of wits between the seller and buyer. The seller wants to get as much money as they can out of the buyer, and the buyer wants to pay as little as possible. Each one trying to screw the other over. THAT is the true face of capitalism. And yes, that is more of a cynical view than a naive one.

So, your homework for this holiday season is as follows:

1: Research how the registry actually works
2: Learn the difference between naivety and cynicism

Class dismissed.

Collapse -
Computers
by gardener60 / December 24, 2008 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: No it doesn't

I bow to your superior judgement.You obviously know more about computers than I do.Fascinating machines though could become an obsession dont you think?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?