General discussion

Regarding diversity of software/hardware

I just got a logitech QuickCam Connect (E2500 series). Which I can't use, because of various factors.

First of all, my operating system is not compatible due to age of computer. 6 years old.

Secondly, the plugin is different, same size...just now has insert male end) where it won't fit into case of the pc now. Also, because of its age.

Now, I have gone to college, and am quite aware of what I was told where technology would change every 3 to five years. However, that doesn't mean for the industry to make wasteful changes to items like most companies do in order to make people upgrade their equipment and software and security protection in order to make a quick buck and not really an advancement at all.

This is my opinion of the what the computer industry is doing currently, and has in the past 8 years. You are following in the footsteps of the auto industry, by making multi-faceted items with such rapid succession with multi-diversified changes, ever so-slightly, all in order to make a buck from the public, instead of making a few items which last for a long time and are cohesive with other brand names.

No wonder we have so much trash on our planet when you make items just to make a quick buck, and then move on to the next quick-buck project. Our Society has become sinfully wasteful.

Shame on you...this waste needs to stop. You are wasting our materials, our money, our time...all in the name of greed. This is so sad. The computer industry needs to wise up and learn the lesson from the auto makers. Because soon the computer industry could be outdated just as fast as you are making your outdated products with every passing of six months time.

Just thought I would send you my two cents worth. It may sound crazy, but, it is going to be true sooner than you think if our world don't wise up soon!

Thanks for letting me share!
Deb Wink

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Regarding diversity of software/hardware
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Regarding diversity of software/hardware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This is not improving....

Look at today's laptops with components that clearly state "3 year design life." The battery spec is "300 cycles."

If this is troubling you, please keep writing and don't buy the stuff that has a short life span.

In closing, many of those will turn to Linux since it's very forgiving on the hardware. Have you thought of making the change?
Bob

- Collapse -
No imorvements will be made until the public speaks out

Yes, I know this and that is why I am venting. The "young" public just wants items because of status or peer pressure rather realizing what the marketing groups are doing who are told by the business corporations, who are doing the same old crap since the 1980's. People are getting greedier and greedier not realizing the ramifications of their greedy wants.

I am very tired of this type of capitalism. Greed is not a pretty color on any of our companies with no regard to the end results or to the public financial ruins they are enduring or will in the future. Due to the economy right now, there is no way people will be buying NEW components every 3 years. Sorry, but that is just the way it is for in the future. The more corporations realize that basic needs come before extravagant needs, the better off we all will be. Which is exactly what is going to happen. Our basic survival will be in jeopardy unless companies stop putting out wasteful products. A change needs to come about in order for everyone to benefit. HOW that comes about is going to be life changing for everyone...but attitudes of how they have done things in the past and HOW they should be done in the future will cause alot of conflict and friction. However, no one seems to realize this or believe this...sadly.

I am very disappointed in mankind in general at this point. So why would I expect companies to change their behaviors when it is not profitable to them. And that is the sad truth.

Thanks for listening!
Debora j. boneschans

- Collapse -
Spelling correction there...Improvements is the word I meant

Sorry about that spelling error...thinking faster than my typing again!
Deb B.

- Collapse -
Wondering

If we started following your theory about 65 years ago, wouldn't we still be looking at black and white television that use vacuum tubes.

There would be no personal computers, because of the high cost and expensive maintenance?

Be careful what you wish for.

- Collapse -
Dear Wondering:

There has to be a stopping point when the idea no longer works...think about it. History has proven that the same ideas don't last...and this is typical for for what we have experienced for longer than expected...what a hundred years now?

So actually, unless you can come up with a better idea than capitalism, I would like someone to come up with a new idea rather than the same ideas that dont work in a global economy. Or to poo-poo a statement on the fact that capitalism and greed are not working. How about a global sanction in helping all people have a safe way of life instead of dog-eat-dog world, okay?

Yes, I am asking for a Utopian World where everyone contributed and everyone was treated equally...ha! wouldn't that be great?? Ever watch Star Trek? So, at least, I am asking for a change where everyone could live equally. You, on the other hand, are just proving me right in that there will be conflict and resistance to a different idea other than what you are used to, right?

I am just saying...there needs to be a change in the way our businesses are conducting business FOR the consumer...that IS what I am asking for, which will ultimately be a change for the better.
Thanks for listening!
Debora J. Boneschans

- Collapse -
Not Okay and Not Right

Star Trek is a fantasy and certainly not a shining example of a Utopian World.

So back to reality.

There are places where people work and live in harmony.
You can read about them in National Geographic Magazine.
They are all primitive cultures.
So do we adapt their ways?
No we don't.

Instead of sitting around and wishing for the impossible,
we learn to live in the environment we have.
We find ways to improve our surroundings if we find them distasteful.

If we perceive problems, we can't rely of others to fix or change them.
If we see think there are wrongs, it is up to the ones who see the problem to fix the problem.
Those that see their world as acceptable will have no reason to pursue change.

So take advantage of your opportunity for a college education.
This is the time for learning so that you can fully understand the problem before you try to solve the problem.

You say there needs to be a change in the way our businesses are conducting business. But you don't tell us what that change should be or how it is to be implemented.
When you finish your education, we will be interested in knowing what you intend to do to make your dream into a reality.

You are the future ... "you" have to provide the solution.

- Collapse -
Hmmm interesting take here...

(sigh) You are exactly the type of ones who don't understand my main message. That our entreprenuers are the ones that need to make a change in their marketing ideas rather than just making a buck.

Therefore, I am one voice speaking against making useless products for a short-time span in the computer industry...if you go back and read ALL of my messages...YOU might have a better understanding of where I am coming from.

Yes, I am a fan of sci-fi, but making products for a short period on PURPOSE is a reality. And, they only do it to make a buck, not to enhance our capabilities. Just like the auto industry found out they could make vehicles with better gas mileage, and yet, they didn't do that, because that was not profitable. Plus, there are numerous examples of what I am talking about to enhance humanity, but they don't do it because it's not profitable.

Therefore, there are plenty of examples that I, personally, don't have control over. However, I do have a voice. That is how I have decided to make a change. What is your idea? To tell others HOW to act? Or poo poo ideas of someone's voice? Like I said earlier, there will always be conflict and/or resistance for a change, but a change must come on HOW we conduct business in this world. Thank you for proving my point.

Thanks for listening!
Debora Boneschans Wink

- Collapse -
We get it!

You don't need to keep expounding your message.

- Collapse -
Roflmao..yes, this is true...however

You may have understood, but obviously Snapshot2 didn't...that is why the repeated messages over and over!

Thanks for listening! Wink

- Collapse -
I understand

I understand that you have a point of view that is 180 degrees out of whack with most of the world.

What you see as a conspiracy of manufacturers to change things just to make money, is nothing more than normal advancements in technology.

I also understand that you want to stand on the sidelines and be a critic, but you want others to act on your behalf.
Critics are as plentiful as leaves on a tree.
There is a shortage of leaders.

Finish your education.
Then you will have enough knowledge and experience to better understand things you now consider as wrong.

- Collapse -
Locking This Thread

I am locking this thread and asking anyone interested in continuing the subject to start a new thread in the Speakeasy Forum.
The Speakeasy Forum is better suited to this type of discussion.
This is off-subject for the Digital Camera Forum.
I apologize to everyone for letting this thread continue as long as it has.

Here is a link to the Speakeasy Forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6130_102-0.html?forumID=50&start=0

This thread is now locked.

CNET Forums

Forum Info