Desktops forum

General discussion

'Refurbished' computers

I've been looking around retail outlets for a new machine and decided to get an HP a6120n, something that fit my budget and needs. I finally went to a large electronics store and they're out of em. So I noticed HP's selling the same 'refurbished' machine online. So I ordered it and it's on it's way. Though I got a "red tag" discount, with tax and shipping it was exactly what I would've paid in a retail store for a new one. What are your experiences with refurbished?
With this machine?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Refurbished' computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Refurbished' computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've never used a refurbished computer

In reply to: 'Refurbished' computers

but I would expect that most are just returns. Provided you get everything they should be OK, unless you get a bad one. I would get the extended warranty on one of these. A warranty that is as long as possible. I would not buy one at full price, too many risks. 30% off a least or more would be my bottom line on refurbished anything.

Collapse -
Good to hear from a satisfied customer

In reply to: I've bought several. . .

I work at the plant where these machines are refurbished and it's good to hear from a satisfied customer.

We used to be part of IBM and we process thousands of both desktops and laptops every year. Some are customer returns, some are end of lease returns, and we send out machines in every category from virtually indistinguishable from new to scrap. Not only do these machines show up on IBM.com but they are also sold to brokers, there are a LOT of them on eBay.

I've got a couple of systems we processed, my Mom has one, as does my brother and a couple of my friends. As you may have guessed I believe in our product!

No we aren't perfect, sometimes the machines have problems we don't catch, it is used equipment, but be it from us or someone else if you get a refurbished system from a reputable vendor you can get very good value for your money.

Collapse -
had good luck with this ( so far)

i have bought several refurbished laptops from tiger direct 1 Compaq and 3 years ago an hp. Both are still working amazingly well and have better specs still then the low medium end selling now. Very pleased with my purchases.
The problem with desktops is shipping jostling a part or two during the process and if you have the ability to open the case re set something that came lose.
Get a good warranty with purchase, do not forget places like hp outlet or dell outlet which also sells this stuff. Good luck with your purchase may it work out great and enjoy your new toy

Collapse -
I did rebuilds/refurbs

Refurbed systems are OK, provided they actually got tested and rebuild/updated as required to be as new as possible. Not actually new but act as if new. Many times, those system sold are one of these: customer returns, glitched systems(lemons), damaged in shipping, and/or become too old(gray market backdoor). They will all work as intended and deliver the goods, just beware many times they have reduced warranty but costs are lower or part of a pkg. deal. For all intents and purposes you needn't worry. If you like, buy an ext. warranty, this is one of the few times it may be worth the extra cost.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Refurbished computers

All of my computers are considered refurbished. I bought all of them by winning CompUSA auctions. I paid less than $500.00 each for XP Media Centers. They are all running beautifully. I paid more for my laptop, but it's a media center also. And guess what (It was advertised refurbished/used) but it was brand spanking new. The outside box was just damaged. The box with the actual laptop was fine. I LOVE my computers. Unfortunatly, CompUSA is going out of business.

Collapse -
Dual pentium one system build

Refurbs are fine, but just don't spend too much money on them and enjoy the building and improvement, because if you don't then you may as well have bought new.

I have a question on a current build - it was donated with one IDE channel faulty, so can I just add in an extra sound card with an IDE channel and use that for the additional drives or am I stuck with the two addressable devices on IDE 0 ?

I cannot get rid of it - Linux is a wizard on it!!
Martin

Collapse -
Refurbished HP Media Center

I mistakenly bought one of these one year ago. From the minute I plugged it in I had problems with it! It restarted itself about 5 times the very first time I turned it on. I wrote HP immediately, and they had me trying all sorts of things (that I really didn't know how to do and told them that). Then I moved a couple days later, so the computer was packed back in the box for a couple weeks.

When I unpacked it, the nightmare started all over again. At any given time it would just shut off. I again contacted HP customer service and was told that my "warranty" expired back in June of '06. I didn't even get the computer until January 3rd of '07!!! I argued back and forth with these people until August (you only have 2 or 3 weeks in which to send this back for repair or whatever, otherwise it's your boat anchor) and I finally had enough and went to Wal-Mart and bought a Dell E521 for $498 (which included a nice 17" monitor!) which I use daily now. (I paid almost $800 for the HP refurbished piece of junk.)

Before this I really liked HP computers, but I have to say now that I would probably NEVER buy another one; also I KNOW I'd NEVER buy another refurbished one of any brand! Sitting next to my Dell is this almost $800 piece of crap that I am stuck with. It won't even stay on long enough now for me to get my pictures etc off it.

There are enough great deals out there for cheap computers. Buy something new. It's not worth the hassle, believe me. Unless you've got money to just throw away.

Collapse -
I also bought refurbished

In reply to: Refurbished HP Media Center

Sorry to hear of some of the bad experinces, but I went to PC Mall and got my Compaq Presario SR2264WM for $299.00 with Windows Vista Home Premium, the only issue I had is that when I first turned it on, I guess whoever had refurbished it, hadn't loaded or reloaded what they needed to, so I had to run it from it's start and load it all myself ... I'm happy with it, I had even gone back and bought another one for my son, and added his wirelessly to mine DSL ... Happy

Collapse -
I had figured....

In reply to: I also bought refurbished

I had figured if the company itself was selling a refurbished computer, it would have to be good, right? And that they would stand behind their product? Well basically they smugly told me it was my own fault for not reading the light gray print (which is hard to notice, let alone see to read) that told me I only had so many days to return the thing. I think the OS is messed up. Of course they would not consider sending me a copy of my own OS (it didn't come with it, it was preinstalled). That might have helped clear up the problem. It seemed to me that once they got paid for the thing they were done with it.

Collapse -
Your piece of junk.

In reply to: Refurbished HP Media Center

You're right. I have never called customer service of any computer company to help resolve an issue and the issue was resolved. But, I bet there is a simple solution to your computer problem, it'll just take a tad bit of troubleshooting and a lot of time. Believe me, that $800 piece of junk is probably a valid computer. (Unless it's the motherboard) If it's a software issue, it can be fixed or something as simple as unplugging and replugging(or replacing) a piece of hardware, it can be fixed. And I bet ya, it can be fixed.

Collapse -
My piece of junk

In reply to: Your piece of junk.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if I could figure out what possesses my machine. I'm telling you it got to the point where even my patient-as-a-saint son was getting upset at it as we tried to keep it on long enough to get some of the information off it. The company had me resetting this and that before (can't remember what all now, my information is in that computer and I can't get it to stay on long enough to figure it out) and I would do each step they told me to do, only to have it shut off on me again, usually right in the middle of something. Sometimes it would happen in the middle of what they had told me to do. I do not know how to tell what is wrong with it. And I'm afraid that if I do the wrong thing, I will lose all my photos that I have in it. After all, you'd think if it was a MEDIA CENTER it would be great to use with pictures!

Collapse -
No data loss.

In reply to: My piece of junk

You shouldn't lose your data whatsoever, unless you reformat your hard drive or restore your hard drive to factory released condition. What kind of error message (if any) do you get before it shuts down? Personally, if no error messages . . . i would switch out the power supply from one of my other computers with comparable outputs.

Collapse -
power supply

In reply to: No data loss.

Do you think that could be the problem? Even when it was brand new? We tried hooking my new computer to the old one to pull stuff off it, but it would go for awhile then shut down. I wondered if it might have been overheating. If I thought that would fix the problem I would do that. It should not be too hard of a job, eh? I don't usually touch anything inside but I think I could manage the power supply. Or I could have my son help me. Wow that would be awesome if I could save it.

Collapse -
error messages

In reply to: No data loss.

I got so many different error messages that now I can't even remember them all. Once I got my new computer I quit trying to use that one, except for when we were trying to get stuff off it. But we would pull a little off then it would shut down. It's been quite a while since I've had it on. At least 3 months; probably more.

Collapse -
Refurbished computers - I wouldn't do it again

I had purchased refurbished a laptop from HP around 4 years ago now and just after the warranty ran out the monitor, the dvd and some other component that rendered the machine useless went within 30 days. The company where I had purchased it from wouldn't help me at all, even as the concerns had come before the computer went down. If I was not so environmentally conscious I would have had a picture of me throwing it into the lake and posting it onto the net. I have since have purchased new Dells for both of our computers and have had nothing but good things to say about them. I only wished that they would offer more North American when it comes to support as that is where the money is being spent on the machines, we should be dealing with employees from our own counties.

Collapse -
North American tech support

In reply to: Refurbished computers - I wouldn't do it again

If you buy one of IBM's refurbs and you call the support hotline the people that answer the phones are about 20 yards from my desk, and right there in the same plant in North Carolina where the machines are processed.

Collapse -
IBMs

In reply to: North American tech support

Too bad I didn't buy a refurbished IBM instead of the HP Media Center! It would have been nice to actually have someone help me.

Collapse -
Refabs

In reply to: North American tech support

Jeff: Read your post, now my question. I am still using Win 98 SE. It's getting tired. Looking around for something new. From what I read, I don't want Vista. Are XP models still avail. new or refab. By the way, tell me what you know about lenovo. I hear that's IBM related. I have owned IBM is the past, satisified but won't buy lenovo whatever that is. Advise and thanks.

Collapse -
XP and Lenovo

In reply to: Refabs

IBM sold their PC business to Lenovo, that included the ThinkPads and ThinkCentres (desktops).

The big, heavy duty IntelliStations are still IBM products.

However most all of our refurb systems date from before the divestiture, and most of them still have XP on them, we reload the original image, so if it had XP-Pro when it was new that's what we load.

If you go to IBM's website and under "Products" look for "IBM Certified Used Equipment" you will see the different categories of equipment available.

Collapse -
Re: Lenovo

In reply to: XP and Lenovo

So this company is in mainland China. Along with the toys, fish grown in sewage, coolant in toothpaste, and counterfeit chips made in China - along with the fact that Chinese international spies are obsessed with infiltrating everything everywhere, is it really safe to buy one of these things?

Collapse -
Chineese computers

In reply to: Re: Lenovo

Actually they are made other places than Red China, some are made in Mexico and I think some other places too.

Keep in mind that many of the people involved in developing these things are former IBM'ers that went with the PC Company when it was sold to Lenovo. Also while I'm not remotely an expert on encryption and spy technology these things have the same Intel or AMD processors, and either the IBM or Pheonix BIOS.

Plus... if you buy a refurb it is likely at least a couple of years old and is still an IBM machine and could have been made a lot of different places.

Collapse -
Computer require special handling to be disposed of

In reply to: Re: Lenovo

maybe that's why there not made here. Maybe we're not the ones being poisoned? Most computer equipment is made in Asia. These are robot jobs, assembled by robots. Wonder if we have the tech savvy to do it? It always a good idea to look at your own side of the fence before casting blame and throwing around hate. There's plenty of stupidity to go around.

Collapse -
Think I'm wrong about that tech savvy part?

In reply to: Computer require special handling to be disposed of

This is a list of the top world wide link speeds. Link speeds is the speed you receive from your IP. See: "Top countries by download speed" on this site:

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=4

Download speed is the slow side of the connection. Sure this is just an indicator, it's not a complete picture but it says something about our standing in the world as it relates to technology. We need to get busy.

Collapse -
Tech savvy

In reply to: Think I'm wrong about that tech savvy part?

It's probably for the same reasons that much of the rest of the world has more advanced cell phone and color TV systems (NTSC vs PAL).

It isn't our lack of tech savvy, quite the opposite, it's because our systems (and standards) came along first. When the other places finally caught up to us the technology had advanced and they were able to set more sophisticated standards.

And for many years a LOT of the IBM computers, both desktops and mobiles, were made in Research Triangle Park, NC. The reason that production got moved to places like Asia and Mexico had nothing to do with tech savvy and everything to do with labor costs.

Collapse -
(NT) So why was it moved?

In reply to: Tech savvy

Collapse -
Why it was moved.

In reply to: So why was it moved?

Lower labor and regulatory costs. Our government piles regulations on top of regulations and can get quite nasty if all the i's aren't dotted and t's crossed just right.

Collapse -
I see now

In reply to: So why was it moved?

"and everything to do with labor costs."

Do you realize that when you calculate the per unit cost of labor into anything the cost is negligible. The cost of materials is usually greater. If you sell something for $100.00 and it takes $1.00 worth of labor (US) what the big deal of farming it out for $.10 an hour to overseas labor. Your still making $99.00, give or take $.90. No, there are other reasons. Does not compute. Like maybe an aging work force or a complacent, difficult work force. That's why there moved. To find hungry young works that are grateful to have jobs and willing to do anything to keep them. This goes for both union and non-union companies equally.

Collapse -
Other reasons

In reply to: I see now

Yes there are other reasons, such as an overbearing government and high taxes.

Collapse -
re: HP refurbished laptop

In reply to: Refurbished computers - I wouldn't do it again

I think it has to be that HP's customer service has a problem with dealing with their refurbished computers. Too strange that they will not help either of us. You'd think such a well known company would want to protect their reputation but I guess once you get big you can crap on whoever you want and it doesn't matter.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.