Laptops forum

General discussion

Refurb Toshiba L655 Screen Brightness Controls Problem

by maxxdout / February 1, 2011 7:06 AM PST

Hey,

I recently acquired a refurbished Satellite L655 from Toshiba as a replacement for my L455. It's a great laptop, much better than the one I sent in to get fixed. Thank you Toshiba Happy

Anyways, I have a problem with the brightness controls.

When I use the brightness adjustment keys (function+F6 and F7), the brightness doesn't go up/down like it should. For example, when my screen is at 100% brightness, I press F6 key four times and the screen stays at the same brightness level, until I hit the F6 key a 5th time, it goes down to it's lowest setting. If I continue to hit the F6 key, the screen brightness goes back up a bit, then dims lower like it should after each hit of the F6 key.

I took a quick video with my iPod so hopefully that helps as I am not so good at explaining things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8aCtTwAvc

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Refurb Toshiba L655 Screen Brightness Controls Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Refurb Toshiba L655 Screen Brightness Controls Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Brightness
by pgc3 / February 2, 2011 12:09 AM PST

Can you adjust the brightness from power settings in control panel?

Collapse -
Yes,
by maxxdout / February 2, 2011 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Brightness

And when I adjust it through power settings, it does the same thing the brightness keys do.

With my laptop I had before this one, the brightness would gradually decrease/increase smoothly, unlike this one.

Collapse -
Screen Brightness Controls Problem with toshiba P500-12D
by smenager / July 30, 2011 10:15 PM PDT

hey,

I'm the owner of a Toshiba P500-12D and I have the same adjust brightness problem.

Have you found a way to solve it ?

I hope you can help me.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just fixed one last month.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2011 3:57 AM PDT

The owner had used registry cleaners and keep cleaning and they had killed the Toshiba TVAP application. I got lucky and found it on the Toshiba downloads for their machine and that fixed half the problems.

Makes you wonder why folk use registry cleaners.
Bob

Collapse -
Unfortunatly, it didn't fix the problem.
by smenager / July 31, 2011 10:53 PM PDT

Hey,

Thanks for the answer.
I follow your suggestions.
I uninstalled TVAP (TOSHIBA Value Added Package)
then I cleaned the registry with Ccleaner and reboot the computer.
Unfortunatly, it didn't fix the problem.

Can you give me the name of the tool you used to clean the registry ?

Have you an other way ?

Thanks a lot
St

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2011 2:38 AM PDT

I installed the TVAP and that cured that one. We liked that because the next step is a factory restore.

I do not use registry cleaners because they cause issues rather than cure them.
Bob

Collapse -
Nope
by maxxdout / August 3, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

I thought we were getting somewhere finally after 4 months but it didn't seem to work, even after uninstalling TVAP and reinstalling a freshly downloaded TVAP. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2011 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

If drivers and TVAP do not correct it and SYSTEM RESTORE doesn't help we reload the OS.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?