MacBooks forum

General discussion

refubished mac's.....

by soxfantony / January 6, 2014 8:32 AM PST

I have been told (by several people now) that buying a refurbished mac is a wonderful idea for someone on a budget that is willing to sacrifice some of the newer features (retina display, haswell processors, thunderbolt 2.0...ect) for the sake of cost. I (think) im one of these people. I am giving serious thought to buying a refubished mid-2012/ 2.56GHz i5 Macbook pro with 4g of ram and a 500gb HDD. For $70 less you can get the 1.3GHz 13 inch Macbook air, which is a mid 2013 model with a 128GB SSD and a better graphics card and slightly better resolution. As for use, I dont plan on gaming (much, maybe alittle on steam) or doing anything else graphics-intensive. Mostly for browsing the web and some amateur audio prodction with a program like Reason or FL Studio.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: refubished mac's.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: refubished mac's.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
another contender.....
by soxfantony / January 6, 2014 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: refubished mac's.....

is the i7 macmini.......i think its a 2011 model, and honestly the least attractive to me (no disc drive on the mini or the air.....my music library consists of a lot of cd's, and the obvious lack of a display, mouse and keyboard)......The price, however is the cheapest, which i like. So, if you were in my shoes which would you choose? I almost posted the link to the apple refubished section for you to make your own comparisons, but i wasnt sure if that was allowed..

Thanks in advance for your time,
Soxfantony

Collapse -
I'd go with the mini
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 6, 2014 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: another contender.....

Which comes with OS X Server edition and two hard drives.

Be aware, the there is NO optical drive on this version.

BYO monitor, keyboard and mouse

P

Collapse -
there lies my problem....
by soxfantony / January 7, 2014 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: I'd go with the mini

The lack of a disc drive is a con (for me, at least.) to the macbook air or mac mini. May i ask why you chose it as the "best" of the 3? is it the i7? either way, if i did go that route i would need to purchase a new keyboard, CD drive, mouse and display, as the ones i have are around 10 years old and have seen better days. With the added cost of all that, This setup will cost me about $900-1100, which is as much as the non retina macbook pro.

Collapse -
Then your decision is made,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 7, 2014 9:35 PM PST

but a keyboard and mouse are really cheap and a decent monitor can be had for $150 or less.

As for the optical drive, an extern USB Optical drive are also very cheap.

I went with the faster processor and the increased storage space

P

Collapse -
makes sense....
by soxfantony / January 8, 2014 8:31 AM PST

i thought my decision was made up with the 2012 MBP, but i have been recently urged by a family member and apple fanatic to go for the 2013 air, with the main reasons being newer components, better resolution, and the lightning-quick SSD. The air has considerably less storage than the 2012 pro, but my main space-eater as far as storage will only really be a big i-tunes library. So at this pont, im on the fence between the 2 laptops. If i get the air, i will need to buy an external cd drive (btw, are there any known cons to an external disc drive as opposed to internal?). And probably an external harddrive at some point.

Collapse -
External vs Internal Optical drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 9, 2014 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: makes sense....

Yes, the external is MUCH easier to replace if it fails!

You WILL be purchasing an external HD as soon as you get the MBP or MBA.

You do believe in backups, I presume?

P

Collapse -
ah.
by soxfantony / January 10, 2014 4:02 AM PST

I have owned probably 5-6 desktops/laptops in my life and i havent backed-up a single one.(i did manage to salvage my i-tunes from the last one onto a flash drive, but everything else is gone.)

I admittedly dont know much about computers, just basic troubleshooting. I got the pc itunes on a flash drive and i have no idea how to put it on a different computer haha......shows how much i know.

Collapse -
If you saved the actual music,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: ah.

and not the iTunes application itself, all you need to do when you get your new mac, is to put the flash drive into the Mac and import the music tracks into the version of iTunes that will come on the Mac.

SImple.

Hard drives do not last as long as they used to and it is not a question of IF your hard drive will fail, but WHEN.

P

Collapse -
sweet, thanks!
by soxfantony / January 10, 2014 7:23 AM PST

I guess that would have been my first guess haha. What you said about the hard drives failing, is that true even with the new SSd's in some computers now? I was told they were less prone to failure and data loss. And as far as backing everything else up besides itunes, is it similar or is there some program you run or something?

Collapse -
It's true that SSD's have a better survival rate,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 10, 2014 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: sweet, thanks!

but all SSD's have a limited life span which is measured in the number of times you can Write to the device. That number is very high, should take years to get there, but it does exist.
There is no limit to the number of times you can Read from it.

As for Backup, OS X comes with an app called Time Machine which will automatically backup your machine once an hour to a hard drive which is not the one you booted from.

It has save my butt a number of times.

More details here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

P

Collapse -
thanks for all the info.....Since you seem to know a lot
by soxfantony / January 11, 2014 12:39 PM PST

Do you have any idea why there are no HDMI ports on the new Macbooks? It seems to be a pretty widely used cable type these days... I know there is an adapter you can buy, but having a Macbook air and a seperate CD drive,Hard drive, and Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter seems like a lot of extra stuff i "have"to buy in order to enjoy some of the features that other laptops at the $1000 mark consider standard.

Collapse -
THAT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2014 1:03 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?