Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformatting Windows 98

Hi,

I have my main C Drive (4gig) which I want to reformat from Win98 to Win98SE or maybe XP. My pc is 7 years old, a CompUSA model w/ a Pentium 2. It has 256 meg of RAM. Nonetheless, I have a supplemental 40 gig internal HD. My question is, if I reformat the C drive, will it do anything to my 40 gig of data on the supplemental drive? Also, once I reformat, will it automatically read the 40 gig HD?

Please advise.

THANKS!
Dan
Minnesota

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformatting Windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformatting Windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reformating and upgrading

In reply to: Reformatting Windows 98

Dan --

Reformating the C drive will not affect the D drive.

But, do you have a good reason to reformat the system drive? Reformatting is not necessary for an upgrade to either 98SE or XP. If you reformat, you will lose everything on that drive, and thus must reinstall all programs that are on that drive, as in the Program Files folder (unless you moved it to the D drive). If you don't reformat the drive, most programs and data should migrate automatically to the new OS.

While the upgrade should not affect any program files or data, things can sometimes go wrong; therefore, you should back up everything before installing the new OS.

You did not mention your processor speed. If it isn't at least 300 MHz, I wouldn't go to XP. We are operating some 360 MHz systems with XP Pro, and while a little slow, performance is generally astisfactory.

As far as 98SE is concerned, what does it have that plain 98 (with all upgrades), doesn't have and that you need? Would the upgrade be worth the cost and trouble?

If you do plan to upgrade to XP check out this PC World article on the subject:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,78043,pg,6,00.asp

Frank

Collapse -
Reformatting WIN 98

In reply to: Reformating and upgrading

Thanks for the reply. My PC has a speed of 450 Mhz so it's ok to move up to Xp. However, the reason why I want to upgrade is to add an external HD, and all extrenal HDs need WIN98SE or higher. I went ahead and did the SE98 upgrade, however, now the PC won't even turn off. When I do the SHUT DOWN, it restarts! Before I did the upgrade, the PC had some minor issues, and still does (windows freezing up, apps freezing up, etc.). That's why I wanted to upgrade in the firt place, but it eventually turned into a reason of needing more hd space. Any more thoughts on the issue??

Thanks!

Dan

Collapse -
Restart on shutdown

In reply to: Reformatting WIN 98

Dan --

While I have never encountered this problem, others have. It seems that this problem can have several causes. Here are some suggestions that have worked for others:

Check this thread:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=109397&messageID=1244938

I would get the Win98SE shutdown patch first thing.

A program that is slow to shutdown is said to sometimes be the cause. You might disable the Fast Shutdown feature (Run msconfig; on the General tab, select Advanced and then check the Disable Fast Shutdown box. Click OK, and then OK again.). If this fixes the problem, you may want to trace down the offending program, and then always shut it down ahead of time.

If none of these suggestions work, try the Microsoft Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooter:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftshoot%2Fstartup98%2FDefault.asp

Frank

Collapse -
i have windows xp pro install over windows 98 no problems

In reply to: Reformating and upgrading

i have pentium2 333 mhz 12gb hd .its not any slower.xp pro works great. get rid of 98 go with xp

Collapse -
I'll add this...

Put your 4gb hdd off to the side for now. On the same IDE ribbon, the 4gb will slow down the 40gb noticeably.
Set the pins on the 40gb to Master. If your PII is less than 450mhz, XP might be slower than W98SE, until you turn off a lot of stuff.
I would choose to partition the 40gb into a 6gb main, for Win98SE, and the rest as FAT32 second partition.
Install Win98SE.
Then install Windows XP, choosing to keep the W98SE partition, create a partition for XP that is at least 8gb, and choose to have a storage partition of the rest. The XP CD should allow you to set up the dual boot configuration and menu easily. Then both partitions can use the storage Fat32 partition. Or you can always install XP at a later date.
Using XP in Fat32 configuration should allow you to copy over all of your current 4gb to the main W98SE partition, maybe ok enough. Money is the issue.
W98SE is being listed as minimum requirement for many downloads now. It has more and fixes for plain W98. I can see it remaining useable for a few more years, although driver updates and supports are fading. XP has been out since Oct 2001 and most are focusing on it. Win98se can be reloaded many times without piracy check from M$. Not so with XP. See the Cnet XP forum to see how people are getting along with it.
Micro$oft is developing another OS like XP that will inventory your hardware and not load some bells and whistles that would slow you and be unnecessary. It's supposed to retro to 200mhz 64mb ram.

Collapse -

look mate dont bother u can buy a new pentium 4 4.0 ghz processor with 2 gig of ram 500 gig hard drive dvd burner lcd screen 1800 maximum

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.