Storage forum

Question

Reformatting Seagate GoFlex 500gb

by SwartzS / October 20, 2015 2:22 PM PDT

Need to reformat my Seagate GoFlex 500gb. Had to let Dish format it to copy from one Hopper to new Hopper. I would like to turn it back into a GoFlex. Running Win 7 on Dell. In Control Panel>System and Security>Admin Tools>Computer Mgmt>Disk Mgmt...Disk 1 shows no assigned Drive:.. 2 partitions (one 1.0gb next 464.76gb) both healthy(Primary Partition).

Do I need to remove volume from both partitions ? Then I can assign a drive (shouldn't assigning be automatic ?) Then I can format ? Then I can copy everything I saved before formatting ?

Just want to make sure of the steps before I completely turn it into a night light/paper weight.

Follow up, should it be in NTFS or FAT32, which is best ? and Do I need to partition.

Thanks to all,
Scot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformatting Seagate GoFlex 500gb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformatting Seagate GoFlex 500gb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For me I just remove ALL partitions then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2015 2:34 PM PDT

Create one of my choice. Which format is best depends on your use. For example if you have to use it with some devices, fat32 may get the nod. Most of the time NTFS is used.

Collapse -
Answer
Suggestion
by Mighty_Miro_WD Western Digital staff / October 21, 2015 6:30 AM PDT

Hi there.

It depends on your personal preference whether or not to have two partitions on the drive. On my D: drive I have 3 partitions and use all of them for different purpose, so if you want - let's say - to have one partition for games, and another one for mass storage you can make two partitions on the HDD.

When you format a hard disk you erase all the information stored on it, so make a backup of the data stored there. Once the formatting is completed just move it back to the drive.

As for the file system, each one offers different things. The biggest con of FAT 32 is that the largest possible file it can support is 4GB minus 2 bytes.

When it comes to fault tolerance NTFS maintains a log of disk changes and in case of power failure or abrupt errors it repairs the files and folders automatically without the user being notified anything. FAT32 maintains two different copies of the file allocation table and uses a back up mechanism if some damage occurs.

About the security factor, in FAT32 you will have to depend on share permissions for security. This means that they are good in the Network but locally they are vulnerable. On the other hand NTFS allows you to set permissions on local files and folders as well.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!