Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformatting hard drive

by northernlites_4u / February 9, 2005 2:47 AM PST

I,m trying to reformatt this computer I got and when I run fdisk I get an error: no fdisk present. New at this so any info would be greatly appreciated.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformatting hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformatting hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: reformatting hard drive
by Kees Bakker / February 9, 2005 3:38 AM PST

First, you don't use fdisk to format a hard disk. And second, I think, the error message you quote as "no fdisk present" isn't the litteral text of the message.
So please tell more on what you do, and what happens.

BTW, did you have a look inside the machine to see if a it has a hard disk and if it is properly connected?

Kees

Collapse -
Reformatting hard drive
by northernlites_4u / February 9, 2005 9:40 PM PST

I put a floppy disc to start up my computer. When start up menu comes up I chose start computer without CD rom support. Then it tells you to type fdisk and press enter. If the hard disk is larger then 512 MB it asks you if you want to partition the hard drive. This is where I get the message that no fdisk is present. I have done this before with other computers and never got this messsage before. What seems to be the problem.

Collapse -
The harddrive is jumpered incorrectly?
by TONI H / February 9, 2005 10:58 PM PST

If you have a Western Digital harddrive set as Master on a cable with nothing else on it, it requires NO JUMPER. There is one positioned sideways on the pins just as a 'docking station' for the jumper in case you need it later, but if it's all by itself on the cable, you don't have to move that jumper sitting sideways in order for it to be defaulted as Master. You only use the jumper on the Master or Cable Select position if there is a slave on the same cable or if the drive itself will be a Slave, then jumper it as Slave.

TONI

Collapse -
Check in the BIOS ...
by Kees Bakker / February 9, 2005 11:14 PM PST

both the BIOS setup (press del or esc or f2 or a key like that early in the boot) and the display of the IDE-devices detected somewhat later during the boot.

Both should find the hard disk present, preferably (or even required) as the master on the first IDE. Or else something is wrong hardwarewise. The jumper mentioned by Toni is a good thing to start with.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
message that no fdisk is present...
by Edward ODaniel / February 10, 2005 3:59 AM PST

Like Kees I would like to see the actual message but sinse he and Toni have assumes that you meant "no hard disk present" I will assume that your actual message is "the name specified is not recognized..." which would indicate that the FDISK utility was MISSING from your floppy.

Try typing DIR fdisk.exe from that boot floppy's A:\> prompt and see it it is there. If not try dir fdisk.exe /s from the A:\> prompt an see if it is found. If so include the full path shown to the file in using the command--if not found either add it to the floppy or use another that does have it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.