Computer Help forum

General discussion

Reformatting and "partmgr.sys" Corruption

by jsudekum / October 16, 2007 3:33 PM PDT

Heya. So, I wanted to do a routine reformatting of my computer... You know, to thoroughly wipe all of the balls stuff that friends of mine have successfully poisoned it with. Everything was going fine, I was doing everything like normal, until I got this: "the file partmgr.sys is corrupt." I spoke to a tech guy and he said my partitions were screwed up... And thusly ended the phone call.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformatting and "partmgr.sys" Corruption
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformatting and "partmgr.sys" Corruption
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions.
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2007 5:05 PM PDT

- What's your OS?
- How do you do a "routine reformatting"?
- At what point did you get that message?
- How many partitions did you have on how many hard disks?

Partmgr.sys is a file in the windows\system32 folder. So Windows must have been quite a way installed to give this message.

I checked checked one google link and found somebody with an install of Windows XP giving "the partmgr.sys error" (but he didn't tell details). One of the answers told that this could be solved by a BIOS update. It's rather strange.

It's best to NOT give friends administrator access to your PC and to NEVER reformat.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
oops
by jsudekum / October 16, 2007 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Questions.

Erm... Sorry about the details.

It's XP. Boot to disc, begin setup... About halfway through the setup, shortly after the "volume" drivers have been loaded on the bottom of the screen, the message pops up.

It's just that my PC has become ridiculously sluggish. Like I'll wait about 10 seconds for the Start button to unfold and even a couple of minutes for Firefox to open. It's nothing fatal, but I don't have anything worth keeping, so I didn't see a problem with, y'know, just starting over...

Collapse -
By The Way
by jsudekum / October 17, 2007 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

I never get to the point where I actually really, really start the setup. I never get to the "F8 for license agreement" part... Nor do I ever actually reach the partitions themselves. Once I get to the partitions, I can handle everything... But, obviously, I think partmgr.sys has something to do with that.

Come on, fellas, shower me with your tech genius...

Collapse -
That partmgr.sys ...
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: By The Way

should come from the cd then. After all, you boot from the CD and the setup can't assume there's a valid one on your hard disk.

This seems to point to either a BIOS or a hardware problem.

Kees

Collapse -
So, uh...
by jsudekum / October 17, 2007 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: That partmgr.sys ...

So... What do I do, then? Heh... If it's hardware, do I just need a new hardrive? Or is the CD the problem? And if it's BIOS, what would I do to fix it?

Ugh. Blaghityblagh.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.