General discussion

Reformatting a laptop with a defective DVD rom tray

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that I recently replaced with a current laptop. I want to away/sell give it away, but it was my laptop for about 2 years and has personal info on it. I have a Windows XP disc and can easily get the drivers for the laptop, but the DVD drive tray doesn't read any discs at all, DVDs or CD roms. Is there any way I can wipe the laptop and reinstall XP with a faulty DVD drive?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Reformatting a laptop with a defective DVD rom tray
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Reformatting a laptop with a defective DVD rom tray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
reinstall XP with a faulty DVD drive?
- Collapse -
Reformatting a laptop with a defective DVD rom tray

It worked! thanks.

- Collapse -
What I use

Is the usual external USB DVDRW drive. I carry that for the reason you found (failed drives and owners that don't want to fix it.)

- Collapse -
Do you realize that just

formatting will not permanently remove data completely? You need to search for software that cleans the drive. You may be able to find something that does it for free.

- Collapse -
permanently erase hard- drives

CNET Forums