Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

reformatting a cmputer with 2 hard drives

I am not really a newbie newbie. I have reformatted several times. But now I have a computer that has 2 hard drives, and one of those hard drives is partitioned. I would like to reformat and wonder if there is something I need to know before doing this?
Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated.

Windows xp2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reformatting a cmputer with 2 hard drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reformatting a cmputer with 2 hard drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure you have two hard drives or one hard drive with

In reply to: reformatting a cmputer with 2 hard drives

two partitions ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
2 hard drives, only one partitioned

In reply to: Sure you have two hard drives or one hard drive with

So it reads (c:), (d:), and (p:)
one is 80 gigs the other is 40gigs

Collapse -
Guess you could use the OS CD but thinking you

In reply to: 2 hard drives, only one partitioned

could also go to BOOTDISK.COM and download one of the versions of BOOTDISK that will allow you to create a floppy disk or possibly a bootable CD and allow you to format whatever partition(s) you want.

Just to be sure what partition you're formatting . . .I always add a volume label to each partition which helps me know for sure which disk and partition I'm about to change or in this case FORMAT. If you want to FORMAT NTFS...you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS under Windows.

Let us know how you do it and how it goes.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
what is the name of the manufacture

hi,
do you have your manufacture's disc? or win xp disc. if so look in the help section of the disc on formamtting drives. or start in safe mode and doit from there.

Collapse -
No problem.

You don't format a drive. You format a partition. So if you let Windows XP setup format c:, the contents of d: and p: will be unchanged.

If you want to be VERY sure, just disconnect that second driver during the reinstall of the OS.

Kees

Collapse -
more info

In reply to: No problem.

you can format just one portion with the win xp cd but make sure you are on that partion best way is to check volume size if it matches your on right partion but if you have multipul partion at same size windows drive is almost always C: drive unless you changed it just let win xp setup run till it asked you where to install

scod

P.S. ask if you need more info I format and install ever other week.

Collapse -
Thanks so much

In reply to: more info

For all the great tips

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.