Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Reformatted hard drive and now can't intsall wireless driver

by heck / January 28, 2010 12:29 PM PST

I had a problem that I was told was a rootkit, so I decided to reformat my hard drive. Details on that problem, if necessary, are in this thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=379874%20&tag=unsubscribeForm;tracked-disc

So now I have a fresh install of XP Pro, and I need to install my wireless driver. I've done this successfully at least once before. This time I am having problems. I have the original disc with the drivers that came with my computer. As I was installing the driver, the icon appeared in the taskbar with a "New Hardware Found" kind of message. A couple seconds after that, my screen switched to a blue screen with lots of white text for a second, and then the system restarted. Then I have the option to start Windows normally, in safe mode, or last known good configuration. If I start Windows normally, the blue screen and restart happens again. If I start with last known good configuration, I don't have wireless. Does anyone know what my problem is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformatted hard drive and now can't intsall wireless driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformatted hard drive and now can't intsall wireless driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
After installing XP, you need to install the
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2010 9:43 PM PST

motherboard chipset drivers before the wireless or any other drivers. Did you do chipset first?

Collapse -
drivers
by heck / January 29, 2010 10:30 PM PST

No, I didn't do that. I started over and installed the two chipset drivers and a networking driver. Are there any other drivers I should install before the wireless one? Is there anything else at all I should have to do first?

Collapse -
No make or model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 10:37 PM PST

Sorry but some machines like a Dell need ONE MORE THING after I install the OS, motherboard drivers and the wifi card driver.

It's called QUICKSET and maybe your machine needs this or something like it.

I'm going to plead with all members to start making good posts. Include those make and model numbers to save you time and getting asked for the detail.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry about that
by heck / January 30, 2010 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: No make or model?

It's a Dell Inspiron 600m. Is the QUICKSET another driver that should be on my disc or is it something different?

Collapse -
You could find that out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: sorry about that

Google what that is and yes, without it all Dells I work on can't use wifi. NOT A DRIVER!

Collapse -
still not working
by heck / February 2, 2010 9:00 AM PST

I installed the chipset drivers, quickset, and several other drivers, and I'm still having the same problem. The computer says that no wireless adapter has been installed. When I install the wireless driver, it begins to detect it, but then the computer crashes. Is it possible that the wireless adapter was damaged somehow?

Collapse -
At about 2 to 4 years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2010 11:27 AM PST
In reply to: still not working
Collapse -
thanks
by heck / February 2, 2010 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: At about 2 to 4 years.

Thanks for all the help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?