Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformating a Hard Drive

by Awminn / October 9, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

OK, Ive spent the last day and a half trying to figure out how to do this. Heres what I want to do:

I currently have windows XP on an old computer. However, Id like it to have windows 95 so that I can play some old computer games of mine. So far Ive tried:

Simply installing Win95. Gives me the "Cant run setup through windows NT" error message. I then:

Downloaded a partition manager (www.ranish.com). It wont allow me to repartition the FAT32 partition; its minimum size is the size of the hard disk. I downloaded this so that I could simply create a new hard drive partition then run win95 from there. Of course, Ive run into a billion websites warning me about this.

Now Im trying to simply reformat the stupid drive. I no longer care about my brother in laws old RPG games and now just want to simply erase the thing and have a win95 machine.

No matter where I look, no website can help. All of them simply say "run the win95 cd from boot." Ive set my BIOS to boot from the cd-rom yet it wont; I fear windows XP isnt allowing me to do this.

Unfortunately this is the first step in every websites process in reformating a hard drive.

I am way to cheap to spend 40 dollars on a stupid program that does the same thing I should be able to do from home. Like I said before, if anyone knows how to repartition the drive and allow me to run win95 (even though XP was installed first) that would be great. But also like I said, Im fed up with the whole process and just want to start over. I dont want to backup anything, I just want to erase and begin anew so I can play my game Liberation Day while on break from college.

So, if anyone can :
1. Tell me how to repartition the drive (remember, for some reason the ranish utility is saying the minimum partition size for XP is the size of the ahrd disk itself)
2: Tell me how to reformat and start all over
3. Simply clue me in on how to get Liberation Day to work on an XP system
4. Tell me where to go so I can punch Bill Gates in the face for creating a monopoly
I would greatly apreciate it. Im a competent computer user and am fed up at how difficult it is to use technology thats only 7 years old.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformating a Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformating a Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As far as I know
by Paul Roantree / October 9, 2005 5:50 AM PDT

You can format and partition your drive in Fat32 or NTFS from the XP installation disk. This is at the very beginning where the screen stays pale blue. After that you don't need to install XP and just exit the program. The hard disk should stay reformatted ready to receive 95. You may do some of this from Group Policy MMC if you have XP Pro installed but I've never tried.
Paul

Collapse -
Why not buy a new drive...
by martylk2 / October 9, 2005 6:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
try this maybe
by jonah jones / October 9, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

click start
help and support
type in disk partition

To create a partition or logical drive
Using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
You can create primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives only on basic disks. You should create basic volumes instead of dynamic volumes if this computer also runs MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows XP Home Edition.
On a master boot record (MBR) disk, you can create up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition.
On a GUID partition table (GPT) disk, you can create up to 128 primary partitions.

Collapse -
This may be the method.
by seafox13 / October 9, 2005 7:15 AM PDT

Options for partitioning and formatting your hard disk
You can use the Microsoft Windows XP Setup program or the Fdisk and Format tools to partition and format System and startup partitions.

For additional information about how to use Fdisk and Format to partition and format your hard disk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
255867 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/) How to use the Fdisk tool and the Format tool to partition or to repartition a hard disk
If your computer is already running Windows XP, and you want to create partitions other than the System or the startup partitions, you can use the Windows XP Disk Management tools.

For additional information about how to use the Windows XP Disk Management tools to partition and format your hard disk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
309000 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/) How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP

Collapse -
Think I got it....
by Awminn / October 9, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

Well, I figured out a way to get the game to run on XP. Fortunately old computer games allow you to copy them to the hard drive, I then just ran it this way, seemed to get around the problem somehow.

As far as creating a new partition goes, the problem is the main partition takes up the whole hard drive and I cant seem resize it. For now Ill just play my game.

However, I do have a whole stack of old games Id like to play, and getting win95 on my old comp seems to be a needed solution. Thanks all to replied, hopefully one of your ideas will work.

Collapse -
Why don't you dual boot?
by trytohelp / October 9, 2005 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Think I got it....

First of all, you will have to excuse me on some things because I wasn't around computers until about 4 years ago so I don't know all the details about Windows 95. That being said.
I don't think a 95 cd is bootable, they didn't have that then. You have to get a 98 start up disk, boot to that, select to start with cd support and then type
fdisk
fdisk will partition your hard drive for you. You said you don't want to save any thing so you could just partition a portion of your hard drive for your 95 install. There is a simulation here for fdisk. You just have to worry about making the 95 partition because when you go to install XP it can make the other partition for itself on install.
After you make the partition then type
format c:
After it's done type
dir d: /p
that is if d is your cd drive.
There should be a setup.exe file somewhere in there, if it is in the root of the cd and your cd drive is d: you type
d:\setup.exe
This will start installing Windows 95.
When it is all done you can install XP by booting to the cd drive. It will ask where you want your install you will make a partition out of the unpartitioned space then install XP on it. Here is a page on it.
I've read on the net that the first 95s that came out did not support fat32 but they had fat16 don't know if this is true or what version you have.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.