Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformat w/o Discs

by anderson121 / February 24, 2005 8:44 AM PST

I need to reformat Windows Xp but, do not have the discs. I did this once before and cannot remember, please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformat w/o Discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformat w/o Discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Format is easy. Installing an OS may be hard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Reformat w/o Discs

To format your drive is drop kick easy. Go get a boot disk from bootdisk.com, and DELPART.EXE. Delpart the partitions, use FDISK to partition and format to format.

But why would you want a formatted drive? The machine won't run Windows but will be "formatted" as you asked.

Bob

Collapse -
let me rephrase
by anderson121 / February 24, 2005 8:51 AM PST

what i mean is, restored to exactly the way it was when i purchased it,

Collapse -
That helps
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: let me rephrase

Is this a brand name machine like Dell or HP? These come with recovery disks and are different from Windows OEM disks. Is it these you do not have? If so, you can try to contact the manufacturer to see if they are available for purchase. If the machine is old, I wouldn't get too optimistic about that possiblility. You might be left with purchasing a copy of Windows. You will also need to know the hardware in the computer and download the drivers from the manufacturers site. Some PCs such as Dells will have a product # that will help identify the specific hardware configuration. You will need to know this to get the correct drivers. You need these available during and/or after the OS is installed.

Collapse -
no
by anderson121 / February 24, 2005 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: That helps

No, this is a very simple procedure, of which i have done before. like restoring to and earlier restore point but, i want to restore to the factory setting, like it was the day it came off the lot. I just did this with my computer a couple of months ago, and now i need to do it with my dads. We cannot find his system restore discs and i cannot remember how to do it. Was just hoping someone would know.

Collapse -
Without the discs
by Yew / February 24, 2005 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: no

You're pretty much SOL.

Collapse -
Does the term "Recovery Console" sound familiar?
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 9:06 AM PST

If so, it may be an option present when booting to Safe Mode. Some PCs had/have hidden recovery partitions on the hard drive. Try booting to safe mode and see if the option is present.

Collapse -
thanks
by anderson121 / February 24, 2005 9:17 AM PST

That is kinda what it was but, it is an actual program that hp has put on the hd

Collapse -
no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 9:10 AM PST

"i want to restore to the factory setting, like it was the day it came off the lot. I just did this with my computer a couple of months ago, and now i need to do it with my dads. We cannot find his system restore discs"

Without the make and model and certainly without those restore disks you are S.O.L. This is where people learn a brutal lesson about how much those CDs are worth.

Bob

Collapse -
found it
by anderson121 / February 24, 2005 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: no.

nevermind I found it. got his computer recovery to the factory settings minus the dics. Thanks to HP.

Its the HP Application and Driver Recovery Program

Collapse -
Be aware you never shared the make/model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: found it

And Carnac is no longer on this Earth.

To help people help you, please obey the forum tip.

Bob

Collapse -
What brand of computer?
by glb613 / February 24, 2005 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: let me rephrase

Some computers come with a restore partition on the hard drive with the option to make restore CDs. Others come with with the operating system CD plus CDs with the drivers and factory installed software. And still others have a restore CD set that is like an all-in-one redo.

That fact you don't have any disks means you either didn't make a copy when prompted, you lost them or never had them included in the sale. If I was you, I'd be contacting the manufacturer and see if I could get a set. Because without the disks or a recovery partition you can access, you can't reinstall the operating system.

Collapse -
A question or two
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2005 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Reformat w/o Discs

You say you want to reformat XP but don't have disks. Are you trying to set up the disk for a reinstallation or just erase the disk? If you plan to reinstall, this is only properly done with the XP CD. If you want to erase the disk but leave the partition and format information in place, you can try connecting the drive to another XP machine. If you want to totally remove XP and partition information, you can get the utility disk from the HD manufacturers web site to do so.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!