HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformat / Reinstall with no XP CD

by Irishsof / June 23, 2010 2:46 AM PDT

Greetings fellow Forum readers,

I'm thinking about reformatting my HDD and reinstalling WinXP. I'm using a Dell Inspiron Laptop E1505. Processor is Intel (not sure which chip), 1.6ghz, and I have 2GB RAM (a recent upgrade from the original 512MB). I've had this computer about 4 years, and it's at that point where everything seems to be slowing down. Boot up is slower, programs start slower, etc. The usual Windows experience over time. I've tried CCleaner and some other tools, but they're not helping much at this point.

I made the mistake of not getting the CD with the computer, so I'm wondering if I can reinstall with another XP disk but using my license number?

Also, any opinions whether this is worth it, or should I make the jump to Ubuntu? This is not my primary computer. We also have a new Acer laptop with most of the important stuff on it. Reality is I could live without the Dell, but I just like it! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformat / Reinstall with no XP CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformat / Reinstall with no XP CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems Of Not Having the Original Recovery Discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 2:57 AM PDT

Although it might be possible to use a secondary XP disc (assuming it's the exact same version as your product key supports), your problem will be later.. The Recovery Discs from Dell include their Resource/Driver CD which will install all the correct hardware drivers after the operating system disc is used.. Without those drivers, you have a machine that simply won't work correctly. Have you tried contacting Dell to obtain the recovery discs? They will usually do so at a very minimal fee?

As to whether you want Ubuntu or not, it's up to you..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Good advice
by Zouch / June 26, 2010 12:38 AM PDT

Certain;ly the best way would be to contact Dell and see if they will sell you the recovery disks, shouldn't cost too much and will give you an ongoing backup/restore capability.

However, if you can find/borrow an XP setup disk, you can download all the drvers, etc. from the Dell support site (64 files for your machine when I took a quick look). Download BEFORE you wipe your system because without the drivers you likely won't have internet connection! Install the XP disk with your product key, then apply the support files you downloaded. Note, however, that your DEL product key will be an OEM version, so you will need an OEM setup disk and, as Grif says, probably at the exact same SP level as your original machine's system.

There are also companies in the USA at least, that sell original setup disks for a variety of machines. Not sure whether they do Dell but try a Google search if you can't source them from Dell direct.

Z.

Collapse -
Original Setup/Restore Disks Website
by sweiss / June 26, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Good advice

There is a site called http://www.RestoreDisks.com that makes these disks for Compaq, Dell, Gateway, HP, Gateway, E-Machine, and others. I quickly checked, and you can order a disk for your particular Dell laptop.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Ubuntu
by johnfreeth / June 25, 2010 7:24 PM PDT

Install Ubuntu 10.4 you won't regret it.
If you have room on your hardrive it can be installed alonside Windows giving you a dual boot system.Once you got used to Ubuntu you can then delete Windows

Collapse -
About: Reformat / Reinstall with No XP CD
by jwljr972msn / June 27, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

Without the Installation CD there are a Limited number of things that you can do.
First Just simply Get a New Larger Hard Drive and do a Direct Disk Copy.
Windows Will always keep getting slower because of Minimum System Requirements keep demanding more of your machine.
Reduce the number of ?Tool Bars? that open with your Browser, you can always open them as needed, you may have many programs all wanting to ?Check for Updates? when windows starts or synchronizing on Start-up.
There is no single answer to speed up a slow machine, I doubt if Reformatting and doing a Clean Install will solve your problem
Once you have gotten to the Maximum of RAM that your Machine can Handle, It?s Kind of Up-Hill from that point on.
There are some things that you can do like Reducing the number of Programs that will start at Boot.
If you can Borrow a copy of Win-XP go to the Run-Box and Type>>> CMD.exe <<< then press Enter, at the Command Prompt Type >>> SFC.exe/SCANNOW <<<(not the arrows) and Press Enter, This checks for Missing Files and Replaces them, You may have deleted files with CCleaner or other 3rd-Party Programs.
Make sure you have plenty of Free Space and that your Page file is set to the prescribed Size, Don?t overdo it, that won?t help.
You might also want to try a Registry Defrag.
If you need more help you can get me at (jwljr972) at MSN dot COM.
I hope this helps, Have a Great Day.
John L.
Worcester MA.

Collapse -
Thanks to All
by Irishsof / June 27, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone for the advice and information!

I guess I'm just at the point where I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the machine, ya know? It's usable Windows life is probably running out, and I am curious about Ubuntu. Hate to dump a perfectly functional laptop!

Appreciate all the inputs!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.