Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reformat problem of computer

by RAAMW / February 25, 2005 9:39 AM PST

I reformatted my computer to try and clear up all the garbage that has accumulated on it and everything went fine, until I tried to put it back togther again, when it boots up with the 98 window startup disk it goes through like it normally does the window 98 screen flashes for a split second the goes to the "A" prompt

What am I ding wrong???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformat problem of computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformat problem of computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At the A:\ prompt. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 25, 2005 12:41 PM PST
Collapse -
yes, boot order in "setup" BIOS makes a diff..
by reefurbb / February 25, 2005 9:34 PM PST

The W98 boot floppy must be used to use the CDrom IF your PC does not support CDrom as 1st boot. Your W98 install CD may be a bootleg without the autorun.inf or other id and therefore won't auto run as 1st boot.
reset the boot order to run
1. floppy drive
2. CDrom drive
3. Hdd.
note the drive letter assigned to the CDrom by the W98 boot floppy, for example D:\ , at A:\ prompt, type D:\setup.

Collapse -
Installing 95,I get:Fault in MS-DOS Extender ?
by dickers97 / February 26, 2005 3:30 AM PST

Would greatly appreciate info as to how to get my Pentium 2 to take windows 95 after formating drive.
I've tried everything to install it but I keep coming up with:"Standard Mode:Fault in MS-Dos Extender"
I have the disks in the drives,go through all steps,reboots,etc.The windows screen comes on for just a second then goes back to error message?

Collapse -
you should have created new discussion....
by reefurbb / February 26, 2005 10:07 PM PST

since you are not original poster. You may not, therefore, get as much exposure/help.
This may refer to the inability of W95 to put generic drivers up for your mobo, since it is a P2 class. This is sometimes where one gets the error in mycomputer-properties-performance of "running in DOS paging mode",
as some generic drivers are used for partial operation but something is wrong with hardware installation. Win98SE had more of them but still not the ones for P2 mobo chipsets, although I've never had an install problem that didn't get far enough to let me do more.
Or I'm way off base.
I doubt that you can even get into safe mode and install chipset drivers. Hopefully you can find W95 chipset drivers at the mobo manufacturer website.
I doubt it would help but I slave my Hdd and put the W98 or W95 install folder (from the CD) on it, after I do sys C: Then the PC will fire up to C:\ and I type
win95\setup, installing from the Hdd and the CD wion't be needed again.
Won't try Windows98SE? W95 is really losing support for important software-applications-programs-drivers.
Lastly, you can try re-installing without reformatting, hopefully to get the message about fixing the install or safe mode install.

Collapse -
Happy results
by RAAMW / March 2, 2005 10:50 PM PST

After several attempts, I reformatted the hardrive once more and tried to reload the operating system, with the help of the massive book "Upgrading and repairing PC"s" I attempted to reload the os agin and found out that a .dll was missing on my PC's cdrom install floppy, since I have a laptop I copied the >DLL from the the cd and reloaded it to the floppy and all is well, the only big mistake I did when I backuped my hardrive onto CD's apparently I did not copy all of the data but I can live with that. My HD now has 2 GB used instaed of the previous 12GB used, sure speeds everything up
I would highly suggest this formatting especially if you HD is loading up, but make dead sure you backed up the info you want to save

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.