Computer Help forum

General discussion

Reformat Failure - Win Me

I think I?m in serious trouble. My sister got a new computer, windows 7, and asked me to clean out and reformat her old computer, hp windows me, to give to her nephew. Well, either I did something wrong or it was doomed from the start. As suggested, I made a ?start-up? disk, rebooted, followed the prompts, inserted the windows me CD when prompted, told it to do its thing, and the process began. First you see - Extracting - Inflating, and then the first signs of trouble - ?Warning - Can?t create??. I knew this was not a good sign. In the end, there is the final notice that there was failure - ?Warning - There were errors recovering some files. The Recover CD may be Damaged or Your CD Drive could be malfunctioning. Remove the CD and press ok to reboot your machine.?

Upon rebooting, you can tell you did not succeed. Can?t connect to the ?internet?, can?t do normal shutdown or reboot, have to press the power button to shut down. Looking at Device manager, there are no ?Yellow? exclamation marks, all device?s say they are working properly. Since the computer has ?two? drives, I decided to at least ?try? the ?other? drive, just in case, but same result.

Since this is an old computer, maybe I can buy a windows me CD and try that. This is an Hp model 8860, 1 gig, 256 meg memory. A final note, since I "know" that the CD drive works just fine, I have to assume the "win me CD" must somehow be "damaged". I do of course have a product key, etc., but we never got that far.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reformat Failure - Win Me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reformat Failure - Win Me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the usual.

In reply to: Reformat Failure - Win Me

1. Duplicate that CD onto some CDR at say 2X record speed. Use the copy and try again.

2. Look up DRIVE FITNESS TEST on google and test that old machine's hard drive. Maybe it's not the CD at fault.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
No Success - Same result

In reply to: Try the usual.

Tried the 'Drive Fitness Test', checked O.K.
Using the 'Image Making Wizard' of Alcohol 120, made a copy of the original OEM Windows ME CD. Put the 'floppy' back in rebooted at the appropriate time, typed "a:format c:". Said something about "Checking existing disk format - Recording current bad clusters - 97% complete - Insufficient memory - and then I got my A: prompt again, typed E:Setup and then it went to trying to setup again, but, as in the first time, I got the same failure "Warning...". Just wondering, that 'formatting' part seems to go really fast. When I format my win xp, it takes a long time. And my hard drive is the same size as her's, 60gigs. When I do that "a:format c:", at most it takes maybe 30 seconds. Just wondering?

Any other suggestions, Bob

Collapse -
The Windows ME installs I did

In reply to: No Success - Same result

Never used a boot floppy. Format C: is also the wrong command.

Looks like you need to find the install notes for this machine and OS?
(No, I don't have them but there are many different versions and it changes with the machine.)
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.