HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table??

by ashemo / February 24, 2004 4:36 AM PST

I am trying to design a simple form with a drop-down box containing "open" and "close." Based on the input in this drop-down, two other cells have to to reflect the chosen option, and the alternate one (i.e. if "open" is chosen, cell XX will read "OPEN" and cell YY will read "CLOSE," or vice-versa.

I can do this in Excel easily, but the formulas in Word just don't want to work. I have tried bookmarking the box, and can *copy* the bookmark value to a cell, but cannot use the bookmark in a formula.

HELP!! =8-O

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table?? No. OLE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 5:20 AM PST

You would have to use OLE or "embed" a spreadsheet into the Word document.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table?? No. OLE!
by ashemo / February 24, 2004 5:30 AM PST

I've tried inserting the Excel spreadsheet right into the document, but one must double-click the spreadsheet to operate it, (you can't even do that once the form is locked) and to add insult to injury, the column and row lines show up. What a headache! I'd just re-do this form in Excel, but Word documents link to our GoldMine software automatically. I can't do that with Excel.

Any further input will be appreciated. (If I can't figure it out, though, the secratary will just have to remember to input the proper values!)

Andy

Collapse -
Re:Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table??
by Kees Bakker / February 24, 2004 6:04 AM PST

I suppose (but it's not much more than an assumption) that this would be possible with not too difficult Visual Basic coding. Visual Basic in Word 97 is one of those many things I don't master, and I don't even have the Visual Basic for Word helpfile installed on this machine.

It should be possible to assign coding to the buttons you're making. And it's certainly possible to do something with a table in the coding. A quick google search found http://www.visualbasicforum.com/t139173.html where the width of a column is adjusted in VB. If you can adjust the width, is a reasonable assumption you can change the value also. Either with a 'value' property/method, or something with 'select' and simply putting it there.

And the same google search found http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1572313889/102-8557315-9561705?v=glance
Your boss might be willing to let you buy a book like this. But this site might be helpful also: http://visualbasic.about.com/cs/programmingvba/
or try this google search: http://www.google.nl/search?q=vba+word+table+value

Hope this helps. It's not exactly a ready made solution, but if you like programming, you'll find interesting stuff, I'm sure.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Reference Cells/Formulas in Word97 Table??
by ashemo / June 3, 2004 1:19 AM PDT

Kee,

I didn't realize you replied (and you may not see this), but thank you very much for taking the time to do so. I'm not familiar with VB either, tho' I'm willing to learn. For the time being, I'm whimping out, and letting the user select both boxes. Maybe when I have some spare time (yeah, right!) I'll dig into the resources you provided. Thanks again!

Andy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.