General discussion

Redirection of home page at browser startup

Oct 26, 2014 12:11PM PDT

This problem dates back as far as 2009 or earlier. And is still occuring as of 10/26/2014. Each time I open any browser, although the home page is set to a specific URL (mine just happens to be "about:blank") the Browser is trespassed on and Pirated to some other search or other URL. (internet options home page, will remain unchanged)
Currently, mine is redirected to trovi search (Microsoft).
Previously, it was redirected to Bing Search (Microsoft).
Thus I am convinced that Microsoft is the Trespassing Pirate, and I am sick of it.
Please any give me the real answer. I have followed all previous solutions, including Malwarebytes, and various other anti virus program, to absolutely no avail.
Please, someone surely knows the answer. Why do I have to be subject to such a sneaky, and should be illegal, activity?????
J Penland

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Redirection of home page at browser startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Redirection of home page at browser startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Redirection of home page ..
Oct 26, 2014 11:32PM PDT

J Penland,

You wrote, "I have followed all previous solutions, including Malwarebytes, and various other anti virus program, to absolutely no avail."

What makes you feel A/V programs (alone) will remove the browser hijacker? What if it takes more than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove it? Were the tools and methods in the below guides, part of the "previous solutions" you tried?

Remove Trovi from Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
How to remove Trovi Search

Note in the 2nd guide where it states:

'Trovi Search got on your computer after you have installed a freeware software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this browser hijacker. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it's not surprising at all that most of them assume that Trovi is a virus.'

And in the 1st guide where it states:

'Trovi Search and trovi.com are increasingly being bundled with programs. During installation, the user might be given the option to modify the home and search pages, however this is often checked by default and overlooked. Should the software be removed from the user's computer, the settings will need to be manually reverted back.'

Give them a try, if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck,
Carol

- Collapse -
Cant uninstall these programs etc , when they do not show up
Oct 27, 2014 2:23PM PDT

Have trird all these suggestion with negative results

- Collapse -
Trovi search and Microsoft?
Oct 28, 2014 1:59AM PDT

Just curious to know why you equate trovi search with Microsoft?

To the best of my knowledge, the trovi website was created by Conduit, Ltd. According to their EULA, "due to the restructuring of Conduit Ltd. ("Conduit"), as of January 1, 2014, the Software is now operated and provided by ClientConnect Ltd. ("ClientConnect") instead of Conduit."

Are there any entries for either of the two? What about Search Protect?

With Conduit involved, I can now understand why (after resetting your browser/s), you still haven't found any resolution. (See what damage it has caused some)

'Please any give me the real answer. I have followed all previous solutions, including Malwarebytes, and various other anti virus program, to absolutely no avail..

If the problem has existed since 2009 and you say you have tried everything, it may be time to consider asking for help at a Malware Removal forum. Here's a few:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?/forum/18-malware-removal/
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/forum/7-malware-removal-help/
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/board,10.0.html
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/37-virus-spyware-malware-removal/

Carol

- Collapse -
Carol I have only had this stupid virus a couple of days
Oct 28, 2014 10:19AM PDT

But I cant get rid of it. I had it in my Old XP machine, and somehow Free Avast cleaned it up, but wont repeat on my Win 8 machine. Uh, I have asked on a malware forum for help. I think that must be how you contacted me.

I link the problem to Microsoft, because my rediections went either to BING and then to Trovi. It is easy for me to blame Microsoft because everything else that REALY irks me about computing in the last year has been a by-product if not the actual messup Caused by Microsoft.

Anyhow, I aint no Geek nor otherwise extremely literate bout puting, so when I have a problem that the big brains cant fix for or with me, I get PO'ed draw on my conspiracy theory and lay it on the Big Bad Microsoft.

And yes i have tried 2.5 of the 5 suggestions sent. So I am still looking for answers.

That you for trying to help

Pop Penland

- Collapse -
Grif's advice is good follow it closely.
Oct 28, 2014 10:29AM PDT
- Collapse -
PS.
Oct 28, 2014 10:51AM PDT

You have to reset all your browsers as well. That's on the web.
Dafydd.

- Collapse -
Only have Chrome
Oct 28, 2014 9:56PM PDT

And though it also it had same problem at first, it has been ok last 2 days

Thank You

- Collapse -
Clarification .. and then some.
Oct 29, 2014 9:29AM PDT

Pop Penland,

Despite the fact I had doubts, I (mistakenly) thought tivoli was an on-going problem, when I read the beginning of your original post ...

'This problem dates back as far as 2009 or earlier. And is still occuring as of 10/26/2014. Each time I open any browser...'

With the above considered, I'd appreciate some clarification. Last night, in your reply to my post, you wrote you had the virus for a couple of days ..'but can't get rid of it'.

This morning, you wrote in your reply to Dafydd, .. "Only have Chrome. And though it also it had same problem at first, it has been ok last 2 days". Does this mean Tivoli is no longer an issue? Or did I misunderstand you?

IF it has been resolved, to that I say "Great! Good work!" IF it hasn't, I would recommend instead of trying '2.5 of the 5 suggestions sent', you try ALL of what's been suggested. No point in "still looking for more answers", when you haven't tried all that's been offered. I'm hoping the former is the case. As in ... GONE!!

And for the record..

You also wrote, "I have asked on a malware forum for help. I think that must be how you contacted me.". I have no idea where you posted. I responded to your post here. Happy

I can well understand why you would have a problem with Microsoft. However, Microsoft is a separate issue. You mentioned previously being redirected to Bing search. Tivoli is more than likely the responsible party. . Maybe not in all cases, but in many.

Carol

CNET Forums

Forum Info