Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Rediculous XP Pro Stop Error. *help

by ASH3S / April 2, 2005 1:02 AM PST

hey, new to the forums. to bad this is my first post...

Whenever I attempt to startup WinXP a stop error: 0x0000007B occurs. I've tried repairing/reinstalling Windows with the XP Pro disk with no success. How can I fix this?

The last thing i did was I had the software firewall ZoneAlarm running on my computer when I attempted to install Agnitum Outpost firewall as well, when it asked to restart, I did, and the error has occured ever since.

Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rediculous XP Pro Stop Error. *help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rediculous XP Pro Stop Error. *help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two firewall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 1:04 AM PST

I think you found your issue. Please pick ONE EACH firewall and antivirus.

Bob

Collapse -
it was a mistake...
by ASH3S / April 2, 2005 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Two firewall?

Yeah i had simply forgotten that ZoneAlarm was still installed. But how do I get rid of Agnitum Outpost without using Winxp? (seeings how it won' startup)

Collapse -
System Restore to before the mistake.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: it was a mistake...
Collapse -
Starting to understand but not quite there...
by ASH3S / April 2, 2005 4:15 AM PST

Ah ok. yeah I'm getting a little closer and starting to understand.

Now the problem is, pressing F8 at boot does nothing. It doesn't bring up a boot menu where I can select safe mode and run that command line (as in the link) I've tried other buttons at startup, because someone suggested perhaps it's not F8, but I've pressed F8 multiple times with no success. Thank you for the link though.

Any suggestions? I'm getting closer.

Collapse -
Keep trying the F8 key and failing that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 4:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Still trying...
by ASH3S / April 2, 2005 4:54 AM PST

I see, yeah that is deep stuff haha. but i found somethin in the link about /safeboot: parameter that i can run from the recovery menu when i start up from the cd. And i think that will bring me to the safe mode.
You think this is right? I'm not exactly sure what it's referring to but I think I can just enter these commands and it'll bring me to safemode options (?)

Well I'll give it a try I suppose.. (i guess this is automatically initiated when hitting the F8 key) I guess I'll keep studying.

Is the F8 key not working or failing sometimes a common occurance?

I appreciate all the help so far Proffit.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) USB keyboard? if so change to PS2...
by billzhills / April 2, 2005 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Too Add
by billzhills / April 2, 2005 1:36 AM PST

Attempt to boot to Safe Mode then un-install one firewall

Collapse -
How?
by ASH3S / April 2, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Too Add

How do i reboot in safemode without using WinXP? (because it won't startup) -or delete one of the programs while using cd boot?

Collapse -
Safemode
by Stan Chambers / April 2, 2005 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: How?

To access safe mode, I repeatedly tap the F8 key during boot. Start tapping as soon as you press the power button, to be sure you're not missing the window of opportunity.
You should get the option screen to select safe mode.
Hope this works for you.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Stop error on Safe Mode as well...
by ASH3S / April 9, 2005 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Safemode

Ah the safe mode boot menu is working fine.. I think you were right in saying I shouldn't miss my "window opportunity" cause that's exactly what it is, haha.

But when I get to the menu and attempt to select safemode and the OS I want to boot, the error still occurs. I tried debugging and From last good settings mode as well but the error still occurs.

Thanks so far, any suggestions?

Collapse -
Use a non USB keyboard
by glb613 / April 9, 2005 5:07 AM PDT

Or use an adaptor so you can plug it into the PS2 connection. Some people have problems with the computer not recognizing keyboard commands during boot up using a USB keyboard.

Collapse -
Not the Problem
by ASH3S / April 9, 2005 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Use a non USB keyboard

your assuming I'm using USB. Like I said F8 does work, but after I select safe mode options the error occurs again. I use a PS/2.

Collapse -
Have you gone to your computer's website
by glb613 / April 9, 2005 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Not the Problem

and checked how you get into the safe mode? Not all computers use F8. I've known of computers that used the F12 key. Check it out.

Just an FYI, when someone suggests you try something, like using a non USB keyboard, it helps when you post back whether it worked or is needed. Trouble shooting and problem solving is a process of elimination. When you provide feedback, it helps everyone.

Collapse -
Like I said...
by ASH3S / April 13, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

Well like I said I got F8 to work, it's all in timing i suppose, but the error occurs when I attempt to boot via safemode as well.

Also, I did let you know that I am not using a USB keyboard and it was not needed. I am using PS/2 keyboard like I stated before.

Thank you anyways though.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Link... Getting Closer I think
by ASH3S / April 13, 2005 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: "How to troubleshoot

Ah thanks for the link. No luck so far but I appreciate the help. ha, it's kinda frustrated when you have a problem like this before and you know it's happened to other people before, and you know there is a cure but not quite sure what it is! I tihnk I'm getting closer though.

I can get to the boot menu using F8, but when I attempt to boot via Safe Mode and all those options the error still occurs. Even recovering with the XP Pro CD isn't working.

Hopefully we'll get this nailed.

Collapse -
Possible firewall conflict
by bwhorton2005 / April 13, 2005 11:19 AM PDT

ASH3S,

Never run more than one firewall as this will cause all kinds of conflicts.Find one good firewall and
stay with it.

Collapse -
No kidding
by ASH3S / April 13, 2005 1:13 PM PDT

ha no kidding whorton, I didn't even mean to do it I had just forgotten to uninstall the first one. But my problem now is how do I erase one or go back to the point where my computer was fine if Safe Mode is even stopped by the error?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!